PDA

View Full Version : Is there a such thing as too many Peek-A-Blocks?

Mabster
09-15-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm wondering if I've gone totally overboard with blocks! We bought the Train with 15 blocks at Costco and I got the Giraffe with 5 blocks at Kohl's. I'm hoping to get an Incrediblock for DD for her first birthday (January). Somewhere down the line I might be convinced into getting either the dump truck or the walker/hippo thing (the one that gobbles up the blocks).

In the meantime I've been picking up as many block sets as I can - mostly b/c they are all so cute - and it dawned on me that I neally don't *need* all of them. I think I have the sound, sight, touch, ocean, food, big top, vehicle, & learning blocks. How many blocks are the optimum for the Incrediblock? Which sets would you keep (the block sets are unopened). I will definately have duplicates, as the 15 block set that came witht he train pretty much has blocks from all of the other sets.

Or should I be really bad and keep them all? DD certainly does enjoy playing with them now, more as individual toys than with the sets they came with.

Thanks in advance!

LucyG
09-15-2004, 08:20 PM
We've stopped with about 35 blocks. We have the touch ones, sound ones, food, farm animals, the ark w/blocks, and Peek-A-Wagon with blocks. The wagon was a gift. It's OK, but I would not have bought it myself. Ditto for the ark. As for the blocks, we have plenty (for us). I've already gotten DD some wooden blocks to give her for Christmas, and I think she will prefer building with them. She's 18 months old now, so maybe younger babies like Peek-a-blocks better. They are adorable, and I'm glad we have the ones we have. I have to make myself resist others, though, because we just don't need them!

kensjen
09-15-2004, 09:43 PM
hehe I think we have probably hit the "too many" number! But they are really cute, and DS really plays with them now. From about six to ten months, he just loved the blocks, would carry them around, bang them together, whatever. Then he realized how to play with them, and would put them in the giraffe and the train ( he LOVES these two toys BTW ). He really seems to "know" how to play with them now. My mom got him the incrediblock for his bday, and boy does he play with it. It may have to go out of rotation for awhile, so he will play with some other toys! It took him very little time to figure out how to dump the blocks and where they fit.

We got the hippo also, but returned it just the other day. It seemed very cheaply made, moreso than the other peek a block toys. And it really didn't gobble up the blocks very well...it was one of those things where you had to have it just right....KWIM? Although I was sad, because the cutest blocks come with the hippo. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend that one.

I can see where he may lose interest with these when he gets a bit older, but for now they are a favorite. I know I love them too. We have the sets that I mentioned, and then also the ocean set, the food, sports and vehicles. I don't think we need anymore!

I want to invest in some nice wooden blocks that will last a long time. Maybe Christmas or Hanukkah gift....

Glad your little one is having fun with the peek a blocks!

Raidra
09-16-2004, 04:12 PM
We have a lot. Probably too many. ;) I'm sure Colwyn would be perfectly fine with 10 or so, but we have at least 35 (the Incrediblock is full, and then we have another storage bin full of them).

I like having a lot so I can occupy myself with building big towers for Colwyn to knock down.

JenCA
09-17-2004, 11:33 AM
I've stopped buying them because I realized I was only buying them because I think they're so darn cute! DD plays with them, but they're not her first toy of choice. We have the giraffe (came w/5 zoo blocks), and the sight, touch, barnyard, food, and ocean blocks.

megulis
09-17-2004, 04:39 PM
I also stopped buying them because it appeals to me more than my ds. It is all in a box, and it is a give or miss on if he plays with them. He prefers balls instead, flipping pages, or banging on any surface.

I have the small train set, vehicle set, sports set. I think the blocks are more useful than the train.