PDA

View Full Version : Are wooden toys safe for baby still putting toys in their mouth?

ett
09-16-2004, 11:29 AM
DS is 13 months but still likes to put toys in his mouth. Because of this, I haven't given him any of the wooden toys I've bought for him yet, and now I'm itching to get more. Do you know whether it is safe to give him wooden toys with the possibility that he will put them in his mouth? I know that it is possible they will be chewed up and ruined, but that I can deal with because I got them all for cheap.

Thanks!

megulis
09-17-2004, 04:43 PM
I am interested in this answer to. I am unsure as to if I should let ds play with the Melissa and Doug train with different shaped blocks. At first I let him play with the bigger sized ones but decided to be on the safe side. I asked my pediatrician, and all she could suggest was that they could chew chunks off it. Any other ideas? TIA.

JacksMommy
09-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Honestly, I think it depends on the toy. I have wooden teething rings from Haba and they (obviously) were fine being chewed on. The main thing I'd be concerned about is whether they are painted with non-toxic paint (which most toys would be, I assume). Unless the wood is very soft or your child has jaws of steel (or is very dedicated!), I'd be surprised if your DS could do any damage to himself (can't speak for the toy). Certainly I wouldn't have qualms myself about the Melissa & Doug blocks. But I'll be interested to see other answers.

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02

jamsmu
09-18-2004, 01:19 AM
We took my blocks (no kidding, they were from when I was a kid... and in great condition) away when we noticed that he had sawdust on his chin. (That is not sarcastic, DS was sawing away at it with his teeth... like a beaver. And it didn't take long for us to notice and take it away... its not like he had a hill of dust on his chin or anything.)

jamsmu
09-18-2004, 01:19 AM
We took my blocks (no kidding, they were from when I was a kid... and in great condition) away when we noticed that he had sawdust on his chin. (That is not sarcastic, DS was sawing away at it with his teeth... like a beaver. And it didn't take long for us to notice and take it away... its not like he had a hill of dust on his chin or anything.)

NancyP
09-25-2004, 10:41 PM
I agree that it depends on the toy. Most wooden toys are safe for chewing on. I know of one research study that found out that bacteria multiplied on plastic surfaces whereas on wood they didn't.
I always think of that study when I see kids chewing on plastic toys and feel good about having wooden toys around the house and in our office as an alternative.

Nancy