PDA

View Full Version : Why are train sets labeled 3 years and up?

ett
09-16-2004, 11:50 AM
I noticed that most of the train sets sold are labeled for 3 years and up. Do you know why they are labeled this way? Is it because of small parts or is it because of developmental readiness? Thanks.

smkinc
09-24-2004, 01:15 AM
I don't know the answer, but was wondering the same thing. Our local toy store has a few train tables set up for play and it seems like kids from 18 mo+ like to play with the trains, so I'm thinking it's a small parts thing--although I didn't see any obvious small parts.

Does anyone else know?

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03

Momof3Labs
09-24-2004, 03:45 PM
I think that it is a combination of both factors. Colin has been playing with trains since 15 months, though - we just take away any small parts (usually unimportant accessories).

NancyP
09-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Hello,

We sell train sets and the reason that the age is 3 years and up is because of a choking hazard. We have had little pieces break off of the track. I agree that developmentally, the age is probably 15 months and up. I know my kids have been playing with their set since then! It has the be the #1 toy in our house. Both boys will build a train layout almost every day!

I hope this info helps!

Nancy