PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for cleaning used toys

lisak
09-16-2004, 11:39 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for me on how to clean used toys? I bought a couple of toys from a resale shop...they look like they are in great condition, but since we didn't buy them brand new, I feel like I need to clean them w/ something...but am unsure what is safe to use (Lysol, Clorox, hot soapy water, dishwasher), etc. etc.

Please let me know if there is a product I can buy or make.

Thanks in advance.

lisbeth916
09-17-2004, 12:26 AM
What kind of toys are they?
If they are all plastic (some metal would be ok too), I would place them in the tub/shower and start with a good hose down. Then I would take a spray bottle and place a cap of bleach and then the rest hot water. Spray the toys with the bleach mixture and let them air dry. I used to work at a daycare run by the YMCA and the health department here in Michigan required us to clean the toys after each use this way. The bleach ends up turning into something less than salt water after 24 hours, therefore making it safe, however, because of the short shelf life, you have to remix for each cleaning. If the toys seem to have a little dirt on them, I would do a soapy wash over before the bleach treatment. In fact, all the kids sippy cups got washed with a bleach soap water too. HTH ~Beth

lisak
09-17-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I used to teach preschool and I remember having to spray the baby toys down w/ a bleach mixture (but couldn't remember how much bleach to water). I'll try that.

The toys are mostly plastic, but 1 is battery operated...its the fisher prices ball blast stand up thing. It was working when I bought it, but now it doesn't make any sounds...I think I drowned the speakers!!!

The other is a plastic xylophone w/ a mallet that ds puts in his mouth, of course...and the last is a plastic drum by Little Tykes.

lisbeth916
09-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Then I would think that the bleach would work just fine. Enjoy your new toys! :) ~Beth