PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my Walker/Ride-On/etc. Choices Please!

Blissful_in_TX
09-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I’m working on DS’s Christmas and Birthday lists, and I think I’m about to go crazy from all the research!! These are my tentative choices along with when I think he'll use them and approximate prices:

Something he can stand/push with: FP Stride-to-Ride Walker (9 months) $30
(later he should also be able to ride this)
Something he can fill: Little Tikes Shopping Cart (12 months) $25
Something he can ride on: Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Car (18 months) $40
Then maybe later a Kettler Trike with a pushbar, but when??

And if he has these things, is there any reason to get him a Radio Flyer Wagon?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Amy
Corbin 4-23-04

Momof3Labs
09-22-2004, 10:39 PM
We have four of the five items you list (no Kettler here) and I think that you can skip the FP walker and go straight to the shopping cart for pushing and cozy coupe for riding. Of course, Colin was never into riding toys (except an occasional wagon ride now), so YMMV.

Also, I think that the FP walker at $30 is overpriced compared to some better options out there (like the Radio Flyer push wagon that has the knob that controls how fast the wheels roll). We paid $15 for ours and got $15 of use out of it, but wouldn't have missed it for twice the price.

houseof3boys
09-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Well, we have the Stride to Ride and Ryan still enjoys it at 15 months but not as much as when he was first learning to walk. He uses it to help him reach stuff by standing on it(a big no-no :() and he scoots on it all of the time. We have a Kettler too but that requires me to be outside pushing him and is weather dependent. We have a wagon, but I think it is different than the Kettler and I don't use it now that he can walk. We have a Toyo walker/wagon that he has really enjoyed too. He pushes it around the house and puts small stuff in the top. It's amazing how he has mastered the art of navigation with this thing.

As far as the shopping cart, we looked at it but I figured the buckets and baskets he has serve his "filling" purpose nicely. There are only so many huge toys you can have taking over your house, IYKWIM.

Happy Shopping!!! It's a lot to look at and I remember doing all of the research too. Try to find the best deals you can (ebay and consignment shops) so you won't feel bad if he doesn't like them.

Blissful_in_TX
09-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the input! Now that I think about it, I might go with the Little Tikes Push & Ride Racer instead of the FP Walker. It’s simpler, but I think I might like that better (I just hope he does!), and it’s only $18 to 20. I’m afraid the shopping cart will be too tall for him at 9 months, and I can hold off on the Cozy Coupe until 18 months (that wouldn’t be too late would it??).

I’m really torn about the trike.
Get it at 12 months with the pushbar and footrest so we can start optimizing it’s use?
Skip the pushbar and footrest and wait until he’s old enough to use it himself?
Or wait until he’s old enough to use it himself and get a less expensive tricycle?
I just can’t decide!!!

Amy
Corbin 4-23-04

sadie427
09-23-2004, 04:07 PM
We decided to skip the tricycle until he's at least two, I think it turns out being more of a glorified stroller before that. But we don't have room for more than one or two large toys at a time, I know lots of people here get the Kettler early.

Not to add to the choices, but we got a radio flyer ride-on that was called the "little red scoot-about" for about $30 about 6 months ago, I think the newer model has a different name and is a little more expensive. We really like it, it is like a mini-trike w/out the pedals, and it has an adorable little bell that he started ringing immediately. He mostly pushes it now at 13 mo, and will probably soon be able to scoot on it.

JacksMommy
09-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Well, it at least partially depends on how much space you have, how much money you want to spend. We did just buy the Kettler (DS is already 27 mos) and he's thrilled by it, but he also loves the Cozy Coupe we got handed down and I'm not really sure that he loves the Kettler $140 more! You can definitely wait on the Cozy Coupe - maybe even until DS is excited by one when you see it out somewhere.

I am personally all for moderation, both because we have to restrain ourselves financially somewhat (the Kettler was a big buy) but also because I've gone on spending sprees buying a ton of stuff and have found that DS is not necessarily happier with having every single toy out there. Then it's fun for him to go over to someone else's house to play with their cool stuff.

That being said, I think that a combo walker/wagon is great because kids just starting to walk are usually really into putting stuff in and out. My son still plays with his.

Money-wise, keep an eye out at consignment shops, too. These big toys are often the first things people want to get rid of. Also, consider swapping things with other mom friends - kids love variety and this helps keep your house somewhat less cluttered.

HTH,

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02