PDA

View Full Version : Best shelf/bin combo storage?

deborah_r
09-24-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm looking to get one of those shelf/bin combo storage things for some of Kai's toys. You know , so we can keep all the Little People in one bin, the Peek-a-blocks in another, etc., It drives me crazy that they are all mixed up together (yes, I used to organize my crayons in rainbow-color order)

I saw one at Target, with the bright primary color bins. It looks pretty good. I wanted to get one from IKEA, because I trust the quality, but I didn't see anything that really grabbed me. They don't seem to have the ones that are on an angle so that you can see into the bins. But then I thought maybe that would be better, but I'm not sure. I can't decide if I'd rather have it so we can push the bins closed and not see the toys, or if I would rather have it so Kai can see into the bins to get what he wants without sliding the bin out.

Anyone want to share what has worked for them?

JacksMommy
09-24-2004, 05:32 PM
I personally have been avoiding the bin storage systems because I want something with long-term appeal, and I think those systems are likely to outgrow their usefulness pretty quickly. I bougt a bunch of galvanized bins at Pottery Barn and have been using those on a plain bookshelf. Look cute, work well and will be able to be used in other parts of the house later on. PBK kids has discontinued the bins (ack!) but you could also use storage baskets, etc.

Just my two cents!

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02

Raidra
09-24-2004, 09:05 PM
We have that shelf system from Target in Colwyn's room. It works great and holds a ton of toys. He can pull up on it, too, without it tipping (although we'll be anchoring it to the wall this weekend).

In our living room, though, we have a canvas bin from Bed Bath & Beyond. It was only about $20 and holds a ton of big toys (Peek a Block giraffe, a drum, and.. erm.. a lot of other stuff.. I'm drawing a blank now). The only thing I don't like about that bin is that the small toys drop to the bottom and don't get played with. That's why we like the shelf thingy for most of his toys.

whittyanne
09-24-2004, 10:01 PM
A friend of mine has the one from Target I think you are talking about. She has the pastel colored one b/c she has a girl but I'm thinking of getting the primary colored one as well. It looks really nice in her house and organizes the toys well:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000CEJWZ.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg