PDA

View Full Version : What kitchen do you recommend ? Does anyone have either the little tykes or step 2

memedee
09-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Step 2.
I prefer the look of the wooden one,but do the kids have a preference?
Thanks

Katie_Lanouette
09-28-2004, 06:26 PM
I would love some advise as well. I like the KidKraft Learning express one. But DS love things with button and things that make noise. Which are the best little tikes or step2 kithcens.

TIA!
Katie Mom to Sam 9/03

JacksMommy
09-28-2004, 07:07 PM
I doubt the kids really have a preference, especially as they get older (and can use their imaginations to make the noises and sounds). Of course noise and buttons are always fun but our PBK kitchen has none of that and every kid who comes over here loves it.

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/24/02

writermama
09-29-2004, 11:51 AM
I have the Discover Sounds Kitchen by Little Tykes.
(see it at: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004TFVQ/qid=1096469012/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-3015026-7768852?v=glance&s=toys&n=507846).

I bought it on impulse when I saw it on clearance for more than 50% off. My DD loves it. She likes to carry the phone around the room, happily sorts the shaped "ice cubes," and loves to open and close all the doors. Her favorite way to play with it at the moment, however, is to turn it face down and climb up on top of it.

As for the sounds, especially the nifty effect that makes the pot "boil" and the pan "fry" on the burner, they mostly impress the grown-ups who come to visit. DD doesn't care about the sounds and I might decide not to replace the batteries when they run down.

The price was right -- I don't think I would pay more for it than I did. We first gave it to her at 9 months, but she wanted to pull up on it and it wasn't very stable so we hid it until she could stand well on her own. I think she would have enjoyed it when she was at the "can sit up but can't crawl yet" stage. It seems more baby-sized than the wooden sets I've seen.

I still would like to buy her a good, sturdy, low-tech wooden kitchen set when she is older.

My advice would be to buy this on sale only if you have a young baby and don't mind buying another set later. If you only want to buy one kitchen set, I'd pass on the Little Tykes Discover Sounds and start saving for a bigger one.