PDA

View Full Version : How to clean toys

bluhimmy
10-01-2004, 12:42 PM
This may be a silly question, but how do you clean your little ones' toys? Especially the stuff animals or any soft toys that can not be put throught the washer. TIA

newmomto1
10-04-2004, 01:23 AM
I have actually put a lot of DS's soft toys through the washing machine in a sweater bag on the gentle cycle...even if the tag says "surface wash only". I hang them dry. They come out great! Some of his hard toys I have put in the dishwasher.
Things that ABSOLUTELY cannot be washed that way I usually try to wipe down with alcohol. I usually do this after playgroup meets at my house & all the kids have had our stuff in their mouths (yuck!) I have a spray bottle that I fill with alcohol, I spray it on a paper towel, then wipe off the toys really well & let them air dry.
I am not sure if this is the best way...I'd love to hear what others do!!

bluhimmy
10-04-2004, 04:01 AM
So putting the soft toys in the washing machine has not damaged the toys? I may have to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

amykate
10-08-2004, 03:36 PM
I have also heard to get rid of dust mites on the soft toys (yes, yuck!) you can put your favorite stuffed animal/plush toy in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer for 24 hours.
Also, I wash by hand with a sponge just for the little one's things.

crl
10-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Yes. My allergist said freezer for 48 hours to kill dust mites. Seems to me like it might kill a lot of germs too. Also, for hard surface things you can buy alcohol wipes at the drugstore--our Music Together class has them for us to wipe down instruments. (I also throw a lot of hard surface things w/out batteries in the dishwasher.)

HannaAddict
10-09-2004, 01:36 AM
Freezing won't kill bacteria, but it will keep bacteria from multiplying while in the deep freeze. Once it is out of the freezer, bacteria will still be there.

HannaAddict
10-09-2004, 01:36 AM
Freezing won't kill bacteria, but it will keep bacteria from multiplying while in the deep freeze. Once it is out of the freezer, bacteria will still be there.