PDA

View Full Version : something like the LT activity garden?

octmom
10-02-2004, 09:54 PM
DS is really enjoying the LT activity garden in his classroom at daycare and I'd like to find something similar for home. I am not willing to pay hundreds of dollars on e-bay for a used activity garden. Can anyone recommend other toys that are at all similar? Why did LT have to discontinue this one?!

Thanks!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

naomi01
10-03-2004, 12:46 AM
maybe I am out of touch, but kbtoys.com had them until recently, also try a few consignment stores or ebay. I think the hundreds of dollars one was an absurdity and most of them go for a lot less.

Naomi

Joshuasmommy
10-03-2004, 10:32 AM
What about the Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Learning Home, it has a door and a mail slot which are my sons two favorite things on the activity garden. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000284X6W/qid=1096809958/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/002-9825607-6366464?v=glance&s=toys

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/14226.jpg

We found our activity garden at a garage sale for $8 so if their are still garage sales going on in your area you might want to do some drive-bys.

Chelsey333
10-03-2004, 10:44 AM
Most of them are going for around 50.00-100.00 on ebay, which doesn't count for the shipping of around 20.00. I have been searching for weeks for this item, and having a hard time finding a used one for less than 60.00. I did see on LT's website, that they have a newer farm version of it - but it is not nearly as cool, there is no door. KB toys on line is now out of stock of them. I will keep looking.

octmom
10-03-2004, 11:03 AM
This does look pretty good, especially if I bought the garden/ birdbath that seems to complement it well. It does have some of the same ideas as the LT activity garden. I just wish that this had a wall that goes around to make a "fort" like the LT garden does. I just may have to get this for DS's bday.

Thanks!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

Chelsey333
10-03-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks for mentioning this toy. I have been searching for the activity garden, and this looks like a good alternative for us. Thanks!

chlobo
10-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Have you ever heard of Craigslist.org? It is a place where you can post things for sale for free. If you go to www.craigslist.org and look on the right hand side you can see if there is one in a city near you. Then, you can search for the activity garden or you can post that you are looking for it. There is a section especially for kids toys.

That is how I found mine. I posted that I was looking for one and 2 people emailed me back. One wanted $35 and the other $60. I bought the $35.

Also, if you have any organizations that put on "group" kids sales you might try that. There was an organization of multiples that just put on a yard sale that 25 families sold at. They had something of everything.

jvorhis
10-04-2004, 09:59 AM
I would call the consignment shops in your area, that is where I found mine the other week for $20.00. It just had to be sitting outside and I spotted in when we drove by. DS thought I was nuts when I freeked out about it and made him stop. The FP toy does look pretty cool but it is $60.00, I looked at it yesterday at TRU.

fauve01
10-04-2004, 03:32 PM
My mom just bought this door for DD and DD loves it! i think DD's favorite thing is changing the songs on the radio, but it's hard to pick since she really likes everything on this thing. I was hoping to find the garden somewhere but no luck yet. this door is just great--well worth the $60 IMHO.

Anne + DD 10-03

octmom
10-04-2004, 03:37 PM
craigslist looks really great. Sadly, we don't have it near me. The closest place listed is a couple of hours away. Oh well.

I checked at a consignment sale a couple of weeks ago (it happens 2 or 3 times a year and proceeds other than consignors cut go to local charities), but had no luck. I think I'll call a few of the local consignment shops (I think we have a couple), as another poster suggested. If I still don't have any luck, I may buy the FP toy for DS's bday at the end of the month.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

geochick
10-04-2004, 08:00 PM
What about the Discovery Park from Sensational Beginnings? Has anyone seen this in real life?

http://www.sensationalbeginnings.com/

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/14305.jpg

naomi01
10-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Can I be a little pessimistic and say that none of these looks as good as the original Activity Garden? I am glad I paid less (something like $55 for a new one from KB inc shipping) but I think I would probably be willing to pay 60-70 given the amount of enjoyment DS got out of it and I expect the new baby will too. It really is an amazing toy...

Naomi
DS 12/02/02