PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a playroom

phirey
10-03-2004, 02:26 PM
DD's stuff has completely taken over our great room. As she becomes more independent, we're considering setting up a playroom for her to play in. I have a ton of questions:

1) Where? We have two options: The spare bedroom that's the other half of her Jack-and-Jill, or part of the finished basement. The bedroom is upstairs and opens to a catwalk over the greatroom. Even if we can't see her we'd be able to hear her when we're not in the room. The basement is more conducive to us hanging out with her (workout equipment, TV and sofa all down there). But I fear we'd never use it if it were down there, since I wouldn't be as comfortable allowing her to go down there alone. In other words, if we used the basement I'd only let her play down there when we could stop everything and go down there with her.

2) What comforts do you have for yourself? (So that you can "play" in there with your child, do you have a TV, a computer, etc. in there?

3) Does size matter? ;-) The bedroom is small and we'd still have to limit the number/size of toys. The basement would have room for her to spread out, albeit amongst OUR toys (workout stuff, etc.)

So tell me about yours, what you'd do in our situation, and what you'd do different if you could set yours up now. TIA.

P

C99
10-03-2004, 03:22 PM
We have a playroom/office. It's on the first floor, adjacent to the LR, DR and kitchen. Our basement is unfinished, so that isn't an option for us. I keep my desk, computer, some books, sewing machine, and a CD player in here. We also have a rug on the floor, an art easel, bins for toys (in a built-in bookshelf), books, and a small child's chair. We'll also put the train table in here when we get it. I like this set up because the room is virtually childproof and even if I am not in the room with him, I can hear him. It's not a very big room and the previous owners used it as an office, so it seemed to lend itself well both by its size and its location to use as a playroom.

Jeanne
10-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Peggy,
I finally got around to posting pictures in the Lounge. I have to say that even though we have a finished basement, I don't like being underground all the time so we aren't going to move anything down there until the girls are old enough to play down there unsupervised. But that's just me. Also, I find that it's easier to have them close by on the main floor because we spend most of our time there. Your loft sounds like it might be much the same.