PDA

View Full Version : ? for those of you with ball pits...

nc_hope
10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
What do you use as the actual pit? I bought two boxes of balls from Target on clearance a while back and now I'm beginning my search for something to use as a pit. I initially thought that I might just use our pack-n-play, but decided that it would be better for everybody if the pit was something DS could get in and out of by himself! I know there are lots of inflatable things to choose from, and I think I've also seen a pop-up thing (play hut type of thing) also.
But I'd like to hear what you have and how it works for you. (And also how much room it takes up!)

Thanks!!

Oregonmother
10-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Haven't tried it, but I've heard pack n plays work good.

Momof3Labs
10-07-2004, 04:58 PM
We use a playhut thing. It was actually sold as a ball pit (with the balls) but any playhut pop-up would probably work. Keep in mind that the balls spend very little time in there - they get thrown all over the house, so it doesn't come out as often to play.

casey118
10-07-2004, 05:01 PM
I have one that is an inflatable hippo. You crawl through the hippo's mouth into the ball pit. I got it from my SIL, but I think she bought it at Toys R Us. My DH (22 months) loves it, but I think he loves the balls, not necessarily the hippo part (as far as I can tell he could care less about that). It takes us a good bit of space, probably 5' x 4'. One step ahead has a cute pop up one (I think hexagon shape) for $50 (including 100 balls). Don't know if that is a good price. Personally I wouldn't buy one my son couldn't get in and out of on his own, because half of the fun for him is getting in and out (and throwing balls in and out!). HTH.

ak_becky_book
10-07-2004, 06:28 PM
My daughter's daycare (infant/toddler room) used a small wading pool (hard plastic kind) for one and a soft sided (like playmats) circular enclosure for the other.

They do take up a fair amount of room, but she really loved it at the daycare.

Rebecca Gear
Samantha 12/1/2002 (almost 2 now!!!)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/14481.jpg

houseof3boys
10-07-2004, 07:28 PM
That's how ours is too (playhut) and the balls are everywhere! I much preferred them when they were in the PNP and he was younger.

I'm glad I didn't spend a ton of money on the inflatable ball pit (got it at the thrift store for under $10) since it is not a favorite. The balls are much more fun to throw down the stairs for Ryan.

sadie427
10-07-2004, 10:54 PM
We used the pack and play. We didn't want him to be able to get in and out of the ball pit himself--it was a handy place to put him when we needed him to be safe and out of the way for 15 minutes or so when we were cooking dinner, etc. I dislike the exersaucers so this was my alternative. Also the shallower ball pits would be easier to throw balls out of--DS didn't figure out how to toss the balls out of the pack and play until about 11 mo, at which point we stopped using it.

ksenn
10-07-2004, 11:08 PM
We actually use a Graco Sport Pack and Play..they are on clearance at our local Target for about $50 off. Its kinda of an expensive "ball pit" but we used it outside and inside and it has a canopy to "keep the balls in" and also has a door on it that they can crawl or climb out of by themselves or you can lock it so they have to stay in. Its absolutely wonderful...my 3 and 8 year old love it as well. It makes a great playhouse for all ages.

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=9920NBG&CategoryID=3

Momof3Labs
10-07-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah, mine was pretty inexpensive too - $17, I think, when Zany Brainy was going out of business. We've had $17 worth of fun with it but it just isn't my favorite toy to bring out. I seem to find those balls everywhere afterwards!!

Jeanne
10-08-2004, 12:06 AM
I have an inflatable one that looks like a fish tank. The girls can climb in and out by themselves and it's gotten a ton of use. However, it's now got several air leaks that we can't seem to patch so we moved all the balls into a small kiddie camping tent we have. It has a bottom so the balls do stay in. It takes up a 4x4 space but I have to say that they love it and use it daily. And when they do throw the balls out, they find it fun to collect them and put them back in.

I did use the pack -n- play though previous to purchasing the actual ball pit. It worked well when Charlotte was under 2.

Twin Mom
10-08-2004, 12:17 AM
My brother just sent my kids the Castle Jump N Gym and 100 balls for their birthday. He has the original jumpolene and my kids played with it when they visited in July. My nephew is 4 and he still likes to play in his so I thought it would be good to get one since my kids had such a good time and it is a good indoor toy for when it gets too cold to go outside. The weight limit is 120 pounds but they don't recommend more than 2 kids go in at once although we had 3 in my brother's.

The castle is actually better for me because my kids can get in and out by themselves. Jumpolenes do take up a lot of room though. It is actually in the middle of my living room but it's not a problem for me since we rarely use the living room anyway. Here are pictures of the different jumpolene's. I have seen one like the Jump N Gym at Target for $39.99.

http://www.jumpingtoys.com/jumpolene.html

HTH.

new_mommy25
10-08-2004, 04:40 AM
I see the pop up tent and Ball at Ross all the time for something like $6.99.

DS got a turtle sandbox for his first birthday. We're about to get our yard landscaped and are renovating our house so the patio is full of stuff. I didn't have anywhere to put the sandbox. So I stuck it on the balconey outside my bedroom and filled it with balls. I put plexiglass on the balconey as well so the balls can't travel far.

Here's the pit.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/14507.jpg

jupster75
10-08-2004, 11:29 AM
Where do you live? I have been looking for this pack and play. I cannot find it anywhere for less than $149.

Jennifer
mom to Audrey 11/3/03

ksenn
10-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Jennifer,

I live in NY just north of NYC. It was in a Target in Spring Valley (Nanuet), NY, just off I-87.

This thing is SO great! Im was bummed thought to see it so discount (probably because its kinda made for outside and for use in the sun because of the SPF built in) But Im planning to use it outside when my older kids are playing in the snow, my daughter can play outside as well without getting frozen! Its waterproof, so I can probably just put alittle snow in it and voila..an snow house!

Kristen

nc_hope
10-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for all the great info and suggestions. I'm thinking that I would like to find something not-inflatable since I don't think we'll want to keep it out ALL the time and I don't want to be huffing and puffing everytime we DO bring it out. Soo.. the playhut is sounding promising. I'll have to keep my eye out for a good price on one. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!