PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide...Jumperoo or Excersaucer?

shannonG
10-08-2004, 03:58 AM
My son is a little over 3 months old and needs some entertaining. He has a bouncy seat and swing but will stay no longer than 15 min. or so in each. It's difficult to keep him busy when I need to get some cleaning done. I was thinking of getting him a stationary activity center thingy but I am worried that he will outgrow it too soon. I read that the excersaucers should only be used until baby is 30 inches. My son is almost 25 right now. Here's my question.

Should I buy the excersaucer (if so, than ultra or mega?)
or
Should I buy a jumperoo? (I just hate the space it takes up)

The limit for the jumperoo is 32 inches. So you get a little more time. I know I want to get him something that he will be able to jump in because he is so active. So, if I get the saucer than I will get a doorway jumper. I'm just worried that the Jumperoo will not have enough toys to entertain. But then I wonder if the jumping is what is the most entertaining anyway. I'm confused. We don't have a lot of money to waste right now so I want to try to make a good purchase that will last and I can't afford both. Thanks for any input! Too many choices!!!!!

JElaineB
10-08-2004, 09:59 AM
I personally think you will get more use out of the exersaucer than the jumperoo. We used ours for quite a few months. That said you really shouldn't plan on leaving your baby in the exersaucer for much more than 15-20 mintues at a time anyway, and not more than a couple times a day. They are not really great for them developmentally, though they certainly have their uses! There is nothing wrong with letting a 3 month old roll (or attempt to roll) around the floor on a blanket while you get some work done. Or just don't clean the house at all (having a baby is a great excuse for that!) :)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Momof3Labs
10-08-2004, 10:05 AM
I vote for the Exersaucer. We had a tall baby (26" by 3 months), and he got bored of the saucer long before he hit the height limit for it. Once he was pretty mobile (cruising, etc), he didn't want to be in it much at all.

Get the Exersaucer that fits your budget. If money is tight, there is no need to spend the extra on the ultra. We had a mega and it worked perfectly well for us.

We tried a doorway jumper briefly but it scared the crap out of me - I'd personally only use it with a very wide doorway where baby can't bounce into the doorjam.

shannonG
10-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks for your suggestions. I didn't mean to make it see like I was going to leave Nathan in the saucer or jumperoo for longer than 15-20 minutes. I just need something else to put him in after he gets bored in his swing, then bouncy seat. I was hoping I could put him in there during a period of time when I'm cleaning but it would only be one of many places I would have him sit during that time. I know that the saucers are not really recommended and that's why I didn't register for one. After having Nathan I've realized that I could really use one, but it can't be too bad for short periods of time! Thanks and sorry I sounded like a bad mommy!!!! Based on your input I might get the saucer! Thanks!

JElaineB
10-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Oh, you didn't sound like a bad mommy! It is just hard to know what people have heard about exersaucers so I just wanted to make sure you had the info! Good luck with your purchase!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

slecompte
10-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Of course I am the one to disagree :) I had both (well not Jumperoo, but the door one). I think the Jumperoo is great that is had the toys too unlike the one I have. Anyhow, DD loved the jumping thing much much more than the exersaucer. Or if money allows, get both (the cheaper door jumping one by Graco - I have seen these at Marshalls and TJ MAxx for 19.99 and at BRU and places they are $35)

HTH! I can't wait to get the Jumperoo for my next child!

Sheila

Jajsmom
10-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Well I have an exersaucer from my other kids and my ds who is 5 months loves it. I also just purchased the Jumperoo and put it together today. I put him in twice and so far he likes it. I used a few coupons at BRU and got it for $40. My son likes to stand on my lap so I thought he would like it and we don't have the right door frame for the regular jumper.

ErinMC
10-08-2004, 10:37 PM
We have both the Jumperoo and Exersaucer Mega. (Actually, the Exersaucer is ours on loan from a friend with an older child.) DS is now 7 1/2 months, and we've used both since he was about 4 months old. While he loves both, I vote for the Exersaucer if you're looking for longevity.

He ADORES his Jumperoo, and laughs hysterically when he is jumping, but I do find that he will stay in the Exersaucer for a longer period of time. For example, he is thrilled to jump in the Jumperoo, but loses interest in about 5-10 minutes and starts fussing to get out of it. The exersaucer will keep him occupied for a full 15 minutes before he gets fussy.

Either way, you can't go wrong if you get one or the other. I haven't tried the doorway jumper because our doorways don't have the right trim, so I can't compare them with the doorway jumpers.

HTH!

shannonG
10-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Thanks so much for your thoughts on my post! It seems like just about everone likes the excersaucers best! My only question was how long it would last before DS is too big, but it seems like many of you have used yours for quite a while! So, I think I might get one and then the doorway jumper a little later (since my doorway does have the right molding). Maybe we'll have more space and money to get a jumperoo for our next baby! Thanks girls!

JElaineB
10-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Well, my DS was on the small side but I used his from 6 months to about 13 months old. That was really too long considering he could walk at 10.5 months, and he would put his feet up and "recline" in the seat at that point. But he loved hanging out in it so I kept letting him. Ours converted to a toddler toy and I did that around 13 months but put the whole thing away around 14 months because it was huge and not worth the space once I converted it.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Momof3Labs
10-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Colin boycotted the exersaucer when he was close to walking - by about 8.5 months. But he loved it so much for the 5.5 months that he used it, so it was worth the money!!

Vajrastorm
10-09-2004, 02:07 PM
We had both. The jumperoo was her favorite for a while, but I found that it became significantly less bounce-y as she gained weight. We stopped using it before she outgrew the limits. I think the Jumperoo is a ton of fun for babies too young to move much by themselves. My 4 month old nephew is currently loving Aine's old Jumperoo.

We still use our exersaucer, and she is 30-31 inches tall. It is only used while I am in the shower, and I am watching her the entire time. She also like to play with the toys from the outside, while standing.

The exersaucer, IMO, will be used for a longer period of time.

shannonG
10-09-2004, 02:48 PM
JElaineB which excersaucer did you have? Since yours converts I'm guessing its not an Evenflow. I think thats who makes the ones I'm looking at. I saw the neat piano one by Fisher Price but decided against it because it is so big and can't be taken apart or folded. I love the idea that it grows with your child. There is another Fisher Price one that is not convertable but it is portable and I think it's called the Hop and Bop? I think they can bounce in it much like the Jumperoo but it's only online, or at least it's not at our BRU so I can't check it out. Has anyone used that? Is it better than the jumperoo or excersaucer? Basically I need something that is not intrusive and will last more than 3 months. I like the idea of the ones that can "grow with your child". Thanks!

JElaineB
10-09-2004, 06:56 PM
Here is the updated version of the one we have:

[link:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CED2P/qid=1097358027/br=1-17/ref=br_lf_t_17//103-0213494-4980657?v=glance&s=toys&n=12945841|Graco/Little Tikes 3-way Entertainer]

Ours had a different color scheme and a nursery rhyme theme instead, though. I think this one did hold his attention a lot longer because the toys had a "baby" side and a "toddler" side and he really enjoyed them for a long time. We had a more basic Evenflo Exersaucer at his grandma's house and he got tired of that one 2-3 months before we stopped using the Graco one at home.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Chelsey333
10-10-2004, 08:17 AM
I have an evenflow stationary walker and I love it. My first son was able to use it until he was about one. One leg of the walker stays stationary and the others have wheels so that it can go in a circle - but you can lock it in place also. I got so much use out of mine. I now have a 5 mos. old and he is starting to use it and loves it. It is great for when I am cooking dinner. I keep it in the kitchen so that I can see him while I cook. My first son loved being in it and would stay in it for a good amount of time. Mine is blue and has an aquatic theme with fish and whales. I got it at Burlington Coat Factory 2 yrs ago.

shartemink
10-11-2004, 12:41 AM
We are doing well with a megasaucer and the doorway jumper. I didn't want to do the jumperoo b/c the footprint size is so big. The exersaucer takes up plenty of room, but it's easy to move around and my ds loves it. He actually does plenty of bouncing in the exersaucer which gets SO noisy with all the toys moving, but it's cute (for now.)

Sam
Mommy to Matthew
3/10/2004

ILoveLT
10-11-2004, 12:43 AM
We have the Mega Exersaucer and DD jumps in it all the time. I wanted to get the Jumperoo because it had the word "jump" in the name, but we got the Exersaucer as a gift and decided to keep it since it was too much work to exchange it and the pediatrician recommended the Exersaucer to prevent DD's head from getting too flat (from being on her back so much). Babies can jump in the exersaucer too! Plus, DD swivels around, tries and succeeds in taking the toys off of the saucer (you can clip the toys back easily). The exersaucer is very entertaining and we have been using it from age 4 months to present, at 8 months. She is beginning to lose interest in it because she learned to crawl and now wants to crawl near the TV and DVD player all the time. I still put DD in the saucer when I need to take a shower because she can't go anywhere and she will be quiet for at least 10 minutes in it. You can move the saucer with the baby in it from room to room.

shannonG
10-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all of your ideas, I really appreciate it. I'm excited to get ds the excersaucer. I'll probably go with the more expensive one. I think he'll really love all it has to offer!!! Thanks, Shannon