PDA

View Full Version : DD keeps on bumping into things with her head-- does it cause brain damage?

ILoveLT
10-11-2004, 12:58 AM
DD is starting to crawl and she is all over the place. She banged her head against the wall and I heard a big thud. She sat up today and fell backwards, hitting her head on the metal part of the highchair (she got up immediately and cried for only one second). I have since put some padding on the wall and on the metal parts of the high chair. Today, my sister in law tried to take her out of the car and hit the baby's head on the car. The baby did not cry long each time (just a few seconds of crying) and she still has a great appetite and smiles and makes noise all the time.

How do you prevent a baby from injury in the head and does bumping into things with the head cause any brain damage?

Would appreciate any feedback.

Rita

August Mom
10-11-2004, 10:31 AM
As with any injury, a lot depends on the severity and the child's own predisposition to complications. However, in general, children are amazingly resilient and it is part of becoming mobile that they bump into things. My DS has had numerous bumps and bruises on his head (and elsewhere) and is showing no adverse effects. You can get padding for the edges of your furniture, remove coffee tables or other low tables from the area and other such precautions to minimize injury, but injuries will happen. Try not to worry about it too much.

Raidra
10-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I sure hope it doesn't cause any brain damage, or we're in big trouble. ;)

Seriously, though, Colwyn bumps his head all the time, and it's gotten worse now that he's learning to walk. I know that when he calms down as soon as I distract him (usually I bring him outside), he's really fine and was just startled.

Colwyn is now in the habit of purposefully banging his head sometimes. If he's sitting and realizes his back is against the wall, crib, etc, he'll tilt his head back until he hits it. He also likes (gently) headbutting his dad.