PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for Chanukah for an almost 2 year old

deenass
10-14-2004, 08:46 AM
My MIL has asked what DS "wants" or else she'll just send "stuff" (just what we needm, MORE "stuff!").

So what does your 2 year old like?

We already have:

wagon
cozy coupe car
train table (and a bazillion trains, etc.)

All suggestions are welcome!

MartiesMom2B
10-14-2004, 09:49 AM
If you don't have one, I just directed MIL to a wood play Chanukah set from Kidkraft. I think it would make a nice first night gift, because then your kids can "light the menorah" along with yours and make latkes. Here's a link: http://www.mrtoys.com/kidkraft/KidKraft-chanukah-set-63042.htm

Other than that I would ask for books

-Sonia

Momof3Labs
10-14-2004, 11:45 AM
Do you have much track for your trains? A couple of months ago, Colin was really into trains but not much into the track. Over the last few weeks or so, he's really gotten into building his own track layouts, so we've had to break open some extra sets that I got cheap so that he'd have enough track to play with!

deenass
10-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Oh Lori, if you only knew how much train paraphanalia we have! Courtesy of my two nephews (age 6 and 9) who are denied nothing and my VERY generous SIL who passes it along as her boys grow out of it! (Just wish she had better taste in clothes!)

corrie23
10-15-2004, 01:49 AM
Hmmmm...good question. I know my parents are already intending on getting DD the Kidkraft Chanukah set and possibly the Little People Chanukah set mentioned here a while back. As for non-Chanukah related merchandise, if your ILs are really generous, I think a nice climber/slide is great for this age. I would love a fun one to have indoors this winter to keep my DD happy (I dream about the Step 2 Naturally Playful Woodland Climber because it's compact but allows for climbing, sliding, "driving", etc.) I'm also all for "experience" gifts and think family memberships to nature/cultural places are great. We are members of the local arboretum and children's museum and hope to get season passes to the zoo and the local "farm" in the spring. I think those are great gifts that the whole family can enjoy with a reminder that the GPs are to thank. It's also great and easy to send pictures of your DS having fun at the place as a reminder to the GPs of what a great gift they gave and how much it is enjoyed.

Another idea is lots of fun craft stuff...not expensive, but appreciated. My DD is 19 mos. and is really into Play doh. I make up a homemade batch every couple weeks and she plays with it every day (Keeps a long time in the fridge). I keep a bag with fun plastic cookie cutters, a small rolling pin, and a spare garlic press (for doh "squishing") for playing. This is a fun gift which can be customized for the holiday if you wish (throw in Chanukah cookie cutters, make blue and white Play Doh, include a themed smock, etc). Other craft supplies we use a lot include colored paper, watercolors/brushes, markers, crayons, stick-on foam shapes, wood craft shapes for decorating, colored chalk, etc. Stamps are a big hit with DD too, and I've heard great things about the Ikea easel.

I think dress-up clothes are fun too at this age (My DD loves to put on/walk around in any "grown up" shoes she finds), blocks are great, sand/water tables to fill with anything (shreaded paper, rice, shaving cream, etc.), BOOKS are wonderful as is music (we're into Ralph's World, Free to be You and Me, Ella Jenkins, etc. here)

Whew...I think my creative juices are tapped. HTH

JacksMommy
10-18-2004, 07:51 PM
My ds loves anything kitchen-related (and his toy kitchen) like Melissa and Doug cutting food, the toy appliances from Pottery Barn (microwave, coffee pot, etc), books, Play doh and related accessories and his vintage FP Little People airport (bought off EBay).
Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD baby girl 12/24/02