PDA

View Full Version : Which is your favorite Raffi CD?

brittone2
10-18-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm going to purchase some CDs as gifts for DS who will be around 10 months at Christmas time(thanks to your suggestions in my other thread looking for ideas ;) )

We have a lot of classical CDs but DS is probably ready for some lively music!
I have heard Raffi here and there in the past but I don't really know one CD from another. Would you mind sharing which CD(s) are your favorites by Raffi? Would an almost one year old have any interest in Raffi? Any other CDs you can recommend? I thought about the Philadelphia Chickens CD too possibly.

THanks!

MelissaTC
10-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Raffi is great. I recommend Singable Songs for the Very Young. It is a classic and goes great with a peanut butter sandwich. ;) All the songs on there are classic favorites.

DS likes Philadelphia Chickens but just a few songs. "Sungglepuppy" is a favorite but "It's Pajama Time" that is one of Matthew's top 3 songs and he drives me nuts with it. (prepare yourself!lol)

Beth and Scott's Learn and Play is a great one. Beth and Scott are actually MIL & FIL's neighbors and have a website : http://www.bethandscott.net/home.html . Matthew just loves their music and MIL gave him the Learn and Play cd as a gift. I like supporting independent musicians so I highly recommend them.

amyff
10-18-2004, 03:59 PM
I second Singable Songs...it is fabulous! We also love Laurie Berkner (Buzz, Buzz, Buzz and Victor Vito). She has wonderful "dancing" songs and they are not annoying...which is a big plus for me!

brubeck
10-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Another vote for Singable Songs for the Very Young. It was my favourite as a child and now I listen to it with the kids! There is also the sequl: More Singable Songs. I still have both of these on LP (if you can believe it) in my cabinet.

nitaghei
10-18-2004, 06:12 PM
The only caveat about "Philadelphia Chickens" is to keep in mind whether *you* like show tunes. I don't and I cannont stand the CD - it's like fingernails on chalkboard for me :) . In fact, I need to post it on Swap.

I know you asked about Raffi - but I wanted to recommend Laurie Berkner. DS loves the 2 CDs we have, and I can listen to them without feeling the need to pour hot wax in my ears!

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

darby24
10-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Big Raffi fan here. Favourite cd has to be Raffi in Concert (with the Rise and Shine Band.) In fact nephew should be getting the concert dvd of this cd for the holidays. Raffi's Christmas cd will also be coming home.

His other favourite Raffi cds: Singable Songs, One Light One Sun and of course, Baby Beluga.

the Singable songs cd is mostly made up of rather short familiar songs. Most of them around a minute, not many over 2 minutes long. My personal preference (can't believe I'm saying this!) is One Light One Sun. Actually haven't heard Baby Beluga lately, it was played non stop from 6months to 18months until he got more Raffi cd's. My nephew really enjoys the live cd as he's really into clapping along with the audience and Raffi gets into the songs (like shake my sillies out.)

And to add a non Raffi favourite - John Lithgow, Singing in the bathtub.

Also check out amazon, you can hear little clips of the cd.

brittone2
10-19-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks everyone!! Looks like we'll be starting with Singable Songs for the Very Young. I'm looking forward to hearing it :)

I appreciate the suggestions!