PDA

View Full Version : Spin-off: How do you decide which toys to weed out and

jec2
10-20-2004, 01:16 PM
what then do you do with them. I have not really weeded out any of DS's toys and that might be part of my problem. But, sometimes I think that he plays with toys in phases and at any moment he'll decide to phase-in a particular toy. I don't think this is the best logic as the toys are getting out of hand. How do you decide which ones to purge AND what do you do with them (save? sell? donate?) I swear I save everything for some "future baby!"

Momof3Labs
10-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Well, I move out ones that *I* don't like (too many pieces, too frustrating for Colin, etc.) and ones that haven't been touched in a while. They go into the basement, and every so often Colin asks to go down there and comes up with a toy that he's interested in again. I have saved just about everything (but really need to change that), but we do have the space to store the stuff for now.

bluej
10-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Most of the time I'll put a toy away for a couple of weeks or a month and then pull it back out and see if Ryden becomes interested. If he does, great, it gets to stay awhile longer. If he doesn't, it goes to the donation pile that gets split b/w church nursery and great-grandma's - w/ 15 children who's children are now having children, she's needs toys for all ages.

redhookmom
10-20-2004, 02:01 PM
I have some yard salers in my family so we need to purge here and there. I get rid of toys that irratate me, are doubles (we only need one kind of shape sorter), are broken or missing pieces, are "junk." I know one MaMa's junk is another MaMa's tresure!

My kids play more with their toys when there are less of them! This is a hard notion for me to accept b/c I love toys. But, I try hard to keep it managable.

houseof3boys
10-20-2004, 02:07 PM
The toys that annoy me (too loud or annoying) I donate and the others that he hasn't played with for a while go in a box for the next one! He surprises me at times though when I pull out a toy that I think there is no way he'll still want to play with since he is such a big boy and he is all over that toy for a week. I'm a toy pack rat too Juliet. :)