PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on a train set

momtoemma
10-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Hi Ladies! I have been reading the recent Thomas threads with great interest as we are planning to give our older DD a train for christmas. I have been checking out the various Thomas pieces, etc...We have the cheaper set from Target as a starting point, and I have been buying Thomas pieces at my Michael's using my 40% off coupons, but now I have been given a unique opportunity. A local business is wanting to sell a Thomas display set (it is brand new) for a really good price, but I am having trouble making up my mind about it. The drawback is that the set is nailed down to the playboard so you can't make different track layouts. It is one of the nicer sets, and I doubt I would ever come across a deal like this again. On the flip side though, I thought half the fun of playing with trains was being able to make all the different set-ups and layouts. I'd love to hear your opinions on this matter. DH thinks I'm crazy and that we should just buy it. He thinks it's ideal because he is worried about how he is going to keep the track set-up anyway...thinking that DD will constantly be knocking it over. Before I buy, I thought I'd post here and get some advice from you train veterans.

Thanks!!!

Momof3Labs
10-21-2004, 10:54 AM
I'd skip it. That takes a lot of the imagination out of playing with the trains. Colin loves to build new layouts every day, and at the end of the day, he helps us take them down and put them in a bin. Plus, with your 40% off coupons, you can already get a great deal on a bigger set, if that's what you want!

nwaddellr
10-21-2004, 11:43 AM
I have a friend with three boys who glued/nailed down her trainset. It was a pretty big set, and I think she got tired of her boys tearing it down all the time. It worked great for her (she was trying to convince me to do the same). Personally, I like being able to make the different layouts, but my DS does delight in playing Godzilla at times and just pulling it all off the table.

LBW
10-21-2004, 11:58 AM
If it's a really great deal, I'd go for it. You can always buy a seperate playboard to use to set up other layouts with the Target track and other sets you will buy. Just think of the display set as another option for playing. I'd love to have a playboard like that for when other kids come over or on the days when I'm just sick of picking up track.

Also, I don't know how young your DD is, but it's hard for them to set up complicated layouts when they are little. This way, she'd have an amazing, complicated set up to play with sometimes. Other times, you and your husband can work with her to build simpler layouts.

momtoemma
10-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Well, unfortunately, my Michael's carries very little in the way of Thomas sets. It mostly has the engines and other train cars plus some of the accessories but none of the larger sets. I sure wish they did!!!

jubilee
10-21-2004, 05:53 PM
I have been wondering about this too. My DH wants to get a set and glue it down, but I've been swayed by all of you that say it's best to allow the free play and creative options of loose track. I can't afford two sets... so I haven't gotten anything until I decide on the glued down vs. the loose track.

hwin708
10-21-2004, 09:13 PM
I (or, more precisely DH) nailed and glued down my DD's set when she had one (she's older now). Best decision ever!
Just as the other moms mentioned, it gets freakin' annoying constantly putting all those pieces back up. The train pieces were also the number one killer on my bare feet in terms of being stepped on. Finally, I had enough.
I had a HUGE set, though, and I made sure that the setup was very elaborate. DD was fine with it. She was always more into the tearing down stage anyway, so she survived without that little thrill. If she needed to be creative and build something, well, she had blocks, which are far easier to build up, tear down, and neatly store in a box. I saw the train more as a pretend play toy, not a far-too-many-pieces construction toy.
That being said, are you sure, if it bothers you, you can't get the train off the mat. When DD outgrew the train, I passed it onto a friend. I had DH go at it with his tools, and he managed to pry up all the pieces. We probably didn't have it as secure as a store might, though.
Just my two cents!