PDA

View Full Version : Peek-A-Blocks - lots of questions!

jennifer_r
10-21-2004, 03:56 PM
I have a 14 year old son and a 2 month old daughter (yes, there is quite a bit of a gap). As a result, I am just now learning about all the current toys out there that weren't out when my son was a baby. Well, the other day, DD and I were shopping at BRU and I saw the cutest blocks - peek-a-blocks - and I wanted to buy them all up. I didn't buy any since she's only 2 months but I want to know more about them. Did some searching here and there seems to be quite a following. So here's the questions - do all the objects inside the blocks do things (like rotate or make noise) or is it just one or two from each set? How do they stack? The BRU I was at only had sets of 6 or 9 blocks but from what I saw on this site, there are toys that go with them such as a truck or a giraffe. How does this work? And finally, which are the best sets and do the babies really like them?

I'm thinking that they'd be a good Christmas gift for her.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

whittyanne
10-21-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Jennifer,

The different blocks do different things. For example, we have the Peek-A-Blocks Train set... which comes with a few blocks that can fit on the top of the train. The items inside of those blocks "rotate" when placed on the train and the train is moving. DS LOVES them!

We also have several other sets of Blocks - they don't all have bottoms that allow the insides to rotate. Some of them have solid bottoms - so they just stack and the babies can "look" at what's inside. Some of them have little twisty things on the bottom so you can twist around what's inside. It seems to vary.

I wouldn't say they are the best toys in the world - but I think they last a long time, which you can't say for all toys. DS has been playing with them for about 5 months now - which is a long time in "baby" life ;)

The ones we have don't stack in any particular way other than just placing one on top of the other (they aren't like stacky cups in that they fit on top of one another b/c of the grooves)

Anyway, we just bought the "sports" pack too (we have the transportation set and one other) and those are cute as well. HTH!

yellowdogmom
10-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi Jennifer,

Ditto what Whitney said (Hi Whit, BTW!) I just wanted to add that while they aren't really intended to stack and build with like traditional wooden blocks they are a big hit at our house too. The top and bottom have different textures and my DS really enjoys chomping on them. There is also a sensory set (someone help me with the name of it, please) that has some with textures around all sides of some of them, like ribbon tags, etc. Those are probably Theo's favorites du jour. I've also found them to be a great size to toss a couple in to a diaper bag to take along for stroller rides, restaurants, etc.

If you happen to have a Big Lots nearby I'd check there - I've gotten about a third of ours at Big Lots.

We also have the Mega Block that goes with them, which is a big hit with him too - and seems like it will last really well - there are things on it that he's been doing for a couple of months and things on it that are still developmentally out of his league, so I'm guessing we still have a good six months of play with it left to go (or more!)

:) Kristin
Mom to Theo, born 1/12/2004 in Korea ~ home forever 7/6/2004
and Morgan the yellow lab

shamrock
10-26-2004, 06:27 PM
DS is 5.5 months and just becoming interested in these blocks. I've seen them a lot at Costco. There are some fun looking accessories that can be used with them. I'm looking to get some of them for DS for Christmas too!