PDA

View Full Version : What age is right for train table?

fauve01
10-22-2004, 03:28 PM
I keep reading about them and know they are great. DD just turned one and it seems like it is too early for a train table. HOw old were your kids when you got your train table and how old were they when they would play with them?

tia~ Anne + DD 10-03

Momof3Labs
10-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Got our train table for Colin for his second Christmas, when he was 15 months old. He started playing with it immediately and plays with it every single day (we have Thomas trains and tracks on it). In retrospect, we could have gotten it as a first birthday present for him, or even a little earlier. Note, though, that Colin was cruising by 6.5 months and walking at 10 months, so he was plenty ready to play standing up by a year.

Try taking your DD to a store where they have a train table set up and see how she likes it - that will give you a better idea.

houseof3boys
10-22-2004, 03:31 PM
There are tons of posts on this subject if you do a search but some started playing with them at 15 months and never looked back!

We are getting one for our son for Christmas (he'll be 18 months then) that he can also use as a table to play with other things on top of.

I think it all depends on the child as far as the age is concerned. I have a feeling it will be a hot Holiday item this year for many on these boards so there has been quite a bit posted lately if you want to read about different ones.

Jeanne
10-22-2004, 05:51 PM
We bought one for Charlotte last year for Christmas. She was 27 months at the time and just loved it. However, it doesn't get much play since our youngest became mobile. We do not enjoy assembling that thing 50 times a day so it sits in pieces all the time now. When Charlotte has a play date here, it does get a lot of use and I suspect will continue to get quite alot once Claire is older. The great thing about these tables is that you can add on and really mix it up.

Katie_Lanouette
10-22-2004, 08:46 PM
DS was 11 months when he got his trains and table. He is now 13 months, He plays with his trains and the table 90% of the time over other toys. At 11 months he had some trouble putting the trains back on the tracks, but he could push them around. Now at 13 months, he can put them back on the tracks and push them through the tunnel. So I don't think 1 is too young.

HTH
Katie Mom to Sam 9/03

Raidra
10-24-2004, 12:40 AM
We got one a month ago at a yardsale. We were going to wait for Xmas, but I couldn't pass up the deal.

Colwyn plays with it several times a day. I don't think it matters much whether it's trains on top, though. Today we took off all the trains and put the zillion Little People toys he got for his birthday on it, and he had just as much fun.

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-24-2004, 11:09 AM
WE got ours before Trisan could walk and he'd stand himself up to the side of it.
I couldn't live without our train table it is used constantly!!!!!
It's not jsut for trains, we build block formations on it and he is always standing near it doing something :)
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan