PDA

View Full Version : Review of First Years Clear and Near monitor

cdlamis
10-22-2004, 09:00 PM
I had the privilege of reviewing the First Years "Clear & Near Monitor" for the Fields. Here is my review:

First Year's Clear and Near Monitor- $70

From the manufacturer: 2.4 GHz monitor, 1 parent unit that uses rechargeable AAA batteries (2 AC adaptors included) that recharge every time it is plugged in, and parent clip. The 2.4 GHz is supposed to minimize static when used with cordless phones.

I was very excited to test this monitor. We previuosly owned a Graco 900 MHz monitor and were unhappy with the static and interference. Also, even when there was no/little interference, the reception was still poor.
With this First Years Monitor, I liked the rechargeable batteries and the size and design.
Unfortunately, this monitor interfered with our wireless modem (which is also 2.4GHz) for our computer and we had just as much interference. But in between the interference, you could hear everything crystal clear! One night we thought that we could hear DD hitting something against the side of her crib but when we went to her room she was asleep. We finally figured out that what we were hearing was the noise from her sucking her pacifier! It was that clear and loud! I really wish this monitor could work in our house- it would be our first choice. Much better than our other monitor.
I also wish that there were 2 parent receivers since we have a 2 story house. Other than that, a great monitor!

Edited for spelling.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And another little girl EDD 12-30-04!!

houseof3boys
10-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the review! You'd think with all of the fabulous technology that's out there, someone could make a monitor that wouldn't interfere with cable modems, DSL, microwaves, cordless phones and all of the other stuff that is in our "modern" lives. :)