PDA

View Full Version : Buying back-up Loveys

momma_boo
10-26-2004, 01:27 PM
DD has become extremely attached to these two items: Baby Gund's My First Puppy in pink and a specific blanket.

I've searched several places for the puppy and I think that Gund might have changed it b/c I found one at BuyBuyBaby called "My First Puppy" but it was totally different. I did find the one that I need at Amazon.

The blanket was a gift and is made by a company I never heard of - Malinda originals. I googled it and was able to find it at a store based in Illinois. Of course, it's a $39 blanket!!! eek. Figures she wouldn't attach herself to a cheap blanket from Babies r Us, right?

My question is - how many do I get?

Now these items don't get excessive wear and tear. I don't let her leave the house with them, so they don't get too dirty. She sleeps with them every night and holds them when playing in her room.

If I get more than one replacement, I'll have to hide it from DH. He doesn't understand why I need to get more. My attempts to explain that she would freak if something happened to one of them doesn't seem to convince him.

geochick
10-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Hmmm...my understanding of Loveys or "transitional objects" is that you can't replace them. Children recognize them by texture, smell, etc. I used to be a nanny of a little boy who carried his stuffed penguin everywhere. The penguin was on its "last legs" and his mom searched high and low to find him a new one that wasn't thread-bare. She finally found one. The little boy would have nothing to do with it; he only wanted his penguin that looked like it had been hit by a train and drowned. So, I wouldn't buy too many unless you plan to somehow continually rotate them through your dd's arms so she doesn't recognize that there are more than one of each lovey. Good luck.

slknight
10-26-2004, 03:08 PM
We're big fans of having back-up loveys here. DS actually has 2 loveys - one is a small blue blanket, and one is a blue soft doll. We've got 3 blankets and 2 dolls. We do actually keep them all in rotation though so it doesn't seem like one is brand-new and the other isn't.

Honestly, I've found it very useful to have multiple ones so I can put them in the laundry and not have to worry if the laundry is done by nap-time/bed-time. I've also found it extremely useful to have duplicates the few times that DS has had a stomach bug. At one point, blankie took a "direct hit," but I was able to toss that one in the washer and instantly produce another one which was a great comfort when DS was sick.

redhookmom
10-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Imagine it is 1am, you are wearing your nightgown, you are searching with a flashlight, that is just about dead, in a hay field for a stuffed dalmation. I would have paid a $100 bucks for a replacemet at the time!

My ds just looked so cute with his dalmation under his arm we let him take it outside. Then he went to sleep OK but he woke up at 1am and just would not even get back in the crib without it. My dh and I took turns outside looking for it. It took about a half hour.

Anyway, we now have 3 dalmations. He doesn't seem to mind that they are different.

zuzu
10-26-2004, 06:30 PM
We decided to order a back-up lovey one night after piggy took a "direct hit" and had to spend the night drying. We'll probably rotate them too though, so both are equally loved/worn. I'm glad DD's doesn't cost more that $10-12, but not everyone is that lucky.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Marisa6826
10-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Sophie has FOUR of the same loveys. It is a Martha Stewart Baby bunny head attached to a little 12" x 12" fleece blanket bordererd with satin.

My Mother (it figures she'd be involved, right?) bought her the first one. When she started getting attached to it, I bought the second.

Then horrors of horrors, KMart stopped carrying MSB stuff!

I was able to get two more backups from Mommies here. Saved my life, those two did!

We rotate them (the Bunnies need baths) kind of regularly so they all are kind of equally worn. I would definitely have three at least - one clean, one dirty, one in the wash.

IMO, it's not worth the trauma that WE go through in case one disappears or gets barfed on, KWIM? ;)

Oh, and we now have an upstairs bunny and a downstairs bunny. The upstairs one "naps" a lot, so he stays up in the bed. The few times we've left the house with the bunnies (Sophie will occasionally become inexplicably attached to one) it's been a nightmare. I walked the aisles of Shoprite looking for one having contractions. I'd rather have contractions in the cleaning supplies than deal with a damn missing bunny! :P

-m

TaChapm
10-26-2004, 10:41 PM
We have 7 back up silkies. We just continue to add to them and keep them all in rotation. Jackson goes everywhere with his so it gets pretty dirty. He also has reflux so I am usually washing a blanket or 2 a day. We couldn't have made it with just one silkie. You couldn't pay me enough to go without them.
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

http://lilypie.com/baby2/021110/1/5/1/-6/.png

egoldber
10-27-2004, 10:40 AM
We have a spare Lambie, but I was not as faithful as I should have been at rotating them. As a result, we have "Lambie" (as in the one, true lambie) and "other lambie". Other lambie is OK and will do in a pinch, but is not the same. I "think" that if, horror of horrors, lambie should ever be lost, we might be able to convince her that other lambie would be acceptable. Maybe....

momma_boo
10-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Thank you for your advice mommies!

I'm thinking that I'll get 2 of the dogs and 1 blanket. I just can't imagine spending $80 + shipping on two blankets. Hmm, perhaps I'll give MIL a call and whine to her about how expensive the blanket is and maybe she'll take the bait and offer to buy it! (She was just over the other day and we were talking about finding an extra one!).

UPDATE: WHOO HOO!!! MIL to the rescue. Just got off the phone w/ her. She really thought that I should get 2 blankets and that she would pay for one of them. She also mentioned that with the new baby coming next year, DD would definitely be needing the security of her blankie.

sarsah
10-27-2004, 10:00 PM
We have two of the same blankets for DS and both are interchangable. If one is in the wash, he uses the other. It has worked out really, really well. Having them interchangable makes things so much easier. DS knows there are two, but only wants one at a time.

Fortunately, the blanket he chose was a Carters Tykes fleece blanket from Target. I ended up with two on accident. I bought one and my mom bought the other.

Sarah.......mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)