PDA

View Full Version : Is there a high end POOH BEAR our there

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-27-2004, 11:08 AM
I say high end not to sound snobby but something og quality like Steiff or something that can be survive the generation or two????

I have one that my mom made for me when I was a child but it is out of fabric, soft and just not a good animal to carry around much and Tristan is recognizing Pooh now...
I was thinking I could always buy him a Steiff and make the traditional red shirt but would like to get him a nice Pooh Bear...
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/19/05 IT'S A GIRL
* DOSSIER IN THE HANDS OF TRANSLATOR

http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan

zuzu
10-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Here's a site that displays Steiff's Disney editions:
http://www.villagebears.com/Steiff/page19.html

And here's a bigger Pooh:
http://www.classic-teddy-bears.com/steiff/2004-north-american-exclusives/680298.asp

I'm sure you could find better prices if you hunted a bit.
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Thank you!!!!

I was just hoping for a quality "like Steiff"...
Yikes the cost of big Pooh...but how coud I get him a little Pooh????
Yikes how can get him the big Pooh...(finanacially)...I'll have to start hunting for that one on sale :)

zuzu
10-27-2004, 12:58 PM
A friend visited from Germany last summer and brought Sarah a different Steiff, and with it came a catalog of sorts listing many of their animals and I thought I remembered seeing a Pooh. So I just did a quick search, knowing they had to be online somewhere.

Funny, but they really do have a bear named SNOBBY.

I truly hope you find a better deal, because the big Pooh will make such a good friend for T. :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-27-2004, 01:13 PM
I grew up in Germany and my Teddy never left my side -he is in my 5 year old passport picture (actually in hindsight my parents bought me Teddy in Willimsburg I think he was $13 at the time an unheard of cost to spend at the time for such a thing)...
then dad got me a Ping Ping (panda)and the story goes that it was right when the Pandas came to Washington (keep in mind I am 37) and that there was rioting in the streets of DC and that he insisted on finding me a Panda and walked thru the riots to get me Ping Ping...
later in Germany they got me a Steiff Zody...
I was never a doll person but my three bears went EVERYWHERE with me...mainly Teddy but I always associated them as the three musketeers and they always had to be near eachother and not separted...

We did a destination wedding and I kid you not I took them to sit on the gift table at the recetpion...how could I get married without them being there - I AM A NUT I KNOW!!!!!

But they are all three sitting high on a shelf looking at me right now as I type in T's play room :)....

I am so glad that your friend got you a Steiff...(ahhh I mean Sarah a steiff) :)...for it is a wonderful wonderful wonderful present that will be passed down to your grandchildren I am certain :)

Thank you again for finding that one...I just love the big one and have a call into Grandma to see if she'd contribute to the fund for maybe Christmas and a Birthday and I pay the rest...

slknight
10-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Wow, that Steiff Pooh is cute! Neve, does T have any Steiffs of his own? Do you let him play with yours?

My sister bought Alex a Steiff bear as a baby present b/c I got one as a first birthday gift from my grandparents. The two are sitting side-by-side on the shelf in A's room, but I am hesitant to have him play with it because I know how much it cost!! Also, they are kind of scratchy, kwim?

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-27-2004, 01:32 PM
He is just the past few days showing any interest in stuffed animals...my pooh made of like a felt fabric is one he grabs often now (and I worry that it can't withstand a toddler). My Steiffs are out of reach but I guess because he has shown no interest in them...in all honesty I can think of nothing he can do to them to distruct them, EXCEPT lose them if you took them out.

Make sure you keep the pin in the ear it is what retains it's value (not like we'd sell them)...it will not come out with use only if purposely taken out.
My Teddy has red paint on his thigh where I was jumping on the bed at about age 7 and had something on the bed drying that I had painted but even that has faded over time (I remember my mom dying over it).

The scratchiness doesn't both me and you are right they are not cuddly and soft but that doesn't bother me...

With that said all of my childhood toys are now considered Tristans (and my future childrens) but I don't think these three teddy bears will ever not be considered mine...as selfish as that might sound...but I would love to get each of my children a nice Steiff to be theirs...

zen_bliss
10-27-2004, 01:39 PM
i remember seeing a nice old-fashioned (not the new disneytized version) chenille-type pooh at nordstrom. it was high on a display shelf and i think it was $100.

zuzu
10-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Sounds like yours were well-loved. I'll be 35 soon, and though we didn't live in DC at the time, I remeber the arrival of the pandas. :) Lucky you to get a bear to commemorate it.

I have two small ones (a bear and a rabbit) that I grew up with, but they are still at my mom's house. (Must remember to bring them back at Thanksgiving.) I'll let Sarah play with them, if she wants; they are pretty indestructable. The one Sarah received is fairly soft and much larger than mine, and she really likes playing with it, but will only play with it in her room. When she leaves her room, she makes a big deal about putting it back in its place on the rocking chair. Odd, but at least we won't lose it that way.

I was thinking that we need a Steiff co-op, but then decided that wouldn't be very good for the wallet at all!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-27-2004, 02:12 PM
but I think they are one of those companies that restricts sales... I only say that because when she closed one location to open another she had a storewide sale but her Steiff's (in a a special cabinet) were wheeled to the back and not part of the sale...

zuzu
10-27-2004, 02:18 PM
That makes sense. When FAO was having its huge closing sales I remember some of the non-classic Steiffs were on sale only a little, and I don't think the classics were discounted at all, at least when I was there. Oh well.

Thanks for asking Debbie though, and let us know what she says.

trentsmom
10-27-2004, 03:22 PM
I grew up in Germany, too - Frankfurt. I was there in '70-'71 and '74-'79. Where did you grow up?

I never got a Steiff bear, but I do have some great German stuffed animals.

NEVE and TRISTAN
10-27-2004, 09:02 PM
We lived in Morlarten (????) off base when I was 5 (so 1972-73 ish) and then moved on base to Ramstein from age 6-11 so that would be 1973-1978ish!!!!!

My dad was Air Force Col over there and retired once here in the states at the Pentagon in 80 I think....

We think we are moving to Heidleberg in Spring of 2006ish :) with my hubby's company...I so hope!!!!

So I was in elementary school

trentsmom
10-27-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm sure I went to Ramstein. I think I went to a 4th of July picnic in the housing. I'll have to ask my parents - I don't remember a lot of the actual place names of where we would go. We left Germany when I was 9.

My parents were talking this past weekend about how they missed Christmases over there. Mmmm, lebkuchen. Sounds like you and your expanding family will get to have some holidays in Germany!

Oh, and it sounds like we both moved to the same area afterwards - Northern Virginia. My dad worked for the Army, and I know at some point he worked at the Pentagon.