PDA

View Full Version : Non-toy holiday gift ideas?

darby24
11-01-2004, 02:02 AM
I have a feeling that people here would have wonderful non-toy gift ideas for me. My sister feels that they have enough toys and has mentioned a 'no toys holiday' on a few occasions, even praised us for not buying spur of the moment toys for her boys.

Now we're a family who has been able to do this before: last Christmas was a Britax carseat, 2nd birthday was an aquarium pass. Of course we have failed and added small toys such as wooden puzzles, raffi cd's and clothes.

My sister and bil have mostly bought J's presents already, a number of small-ish sized toys (puzzle, matchbox trucks and a raffi dvd.) They don't have too much for nephew S, but then he doesn't need much.

My original plan for Jay's (2.5 yrs) gift was to make a play kitchen. I still like this idea but the price is adding up too fast, so I'm sad to say this idea is out the window.

The only idea from my sister for nephew S (7 months) is his own highchair (first years booster.) I had thought of the Signing Time dvd's as we use signs with nephew Jay (but we've mainly made it up as we've gone along.) But I'm not sure if the kids would actually watch these (meaning my sister putting it on and using them.)

Of course I'm finding tons of great toys to buy the boys, it sure is hard to say no. I prefer to buy quality to quantity and will have to make my mind up soon before I start impulse buying on useless items.

The end of the long story, does anyone have non-toy gift ideas to share?

mom2kandj
11-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Are you looking for a combo gift for both kids or separate gifts? For the whole family, we like zoo memberships or kid museum memberships. How about giving them some play or art classes at your local parks and rec or Gymboree?

I also like the idea of a Learning Tower(DH is too cheap to buy one, so my kids stand on a kitchen chair). We love art supplies and can always use consumables. On the same track, maybe an art easel would work!

Our personal favorite is our wagon! We received ours as a baby present for #2 and use it weekly! Just last night, we used it at our church's chili cookoff and hoedown! Instead of hayrides, DH spent the night pulling kids around the party!

Good luck!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

August Mom
11-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Books are always a good option. For the 2.5 year old, I would recommend Curious George (or possibly Hairy Maclary books by Lynley Dodd, although those are more expensive). Those are DS's favorites right now. Especially if the 2.5 year old mostly has board books (like we do), helping with the transition to story books would be most appreciated. Weekly Reader has a special collection of editors' choice hardback books. We bought these and it was a great value. $25 for 15 books, several of which became DS's instant favorites. Here's a link to that deal if you are interested. https://www.weeklyreader.com/ecstore/Expand.asp?ProductCode=WRB120

Consumables are always great too. Sticker books, Play Doh, crayons, Crayola Color Wonder products, etc. are always a hit.

Passes to area attractions would be good too. Or, paying for area classes would be great. I have thought about asking in lieu of other gifts for a membership to The Little Gym or Gymboree. However, that can get expensive.

You could make a deposit to the kids' 529 college savings accounts if they have them.

For the 7 month old, how about his own plate, bowl and silverware. It's a little early, but using those things is on the horizon. The 7 month old is definitely tougher.

Lucia
11-01-2004, 08:47 AM
How about a subscription to BabyBug and LadyBug? These are great publications and I would be thrilled to get one of these as a gift. We enjoy checking them out at the library and the BabyBug is made of thick pages so they last. Here is the link:

http://www.cricketmag.com/home.asp

I like the idea of getting membership to a local children's museum or cultural events. And I would highly recommmend the Signing Times dvds...I am getting ready to order a bunch since we have a lot of baby presents to give in the next couple of months. Another option is to get a bunch of fun music cds.

Have fun being creative in your gift giving!

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

colleenfs
11-01-2004, 11:22 AM
Another idea is personalized (or not) stuff for the kids rooms. Julia loves the rocking chair on the hoohobbers site.

http://www.doodlebugkids.com/
http://www.hoohobbers.com/

~Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/e3y/1.png

Melanie
11-01-2004, 11:50 AM
-Children's Museum Passes
-Zoo Passes
-Amusement Park Passes
-Books or Book Store Gift Certificates
-A Session of Classes (gym, swim, nature, music, etc...)
-"Tickets" for day out at Aunties house (I'll bet mom might like this one!)
-Musical Instruments (non-electronic, real ones...First Act has some great tot-sizes ones at TRU or Target or TJMaxx)
-Stickers and Sticker Book (they have ones that allow them to peel off and move the stickers around
-Art Supplies: Pads of thick plain/white paper, crayons (I LOVE stockmar! They are toddler indestructable! Child Scissors...paints and paintbrushes if you are brave, art apron (check educational supply stores)

Good Luck!

PS-you've got to be the greatest and most conscientious aunt!!

Momof3Labs
11-01-2004, 02:21 PM
A Kinderzeat would be a great "family" gift!

houseof3boys
11-01-2004, 03:05 PM
You already got all of the suggestions that I was going to give but just wanted to chime in that non-toy gifts are awesome! I think they are so much better than the standard toy. :) All of those memberships add up but they are so worth it if you use them.

FYI - The Signing times videos are pretty good.

darby24
11-01-2004, 07:25 PM
I knew I posted in the right spot!

Such great ideas but of course we don't have any museums or other type membership places, and my sister does not have the patience for art let alone an art class! I also have a number of books hidden away already, I find I buy books like they're candy. You can never have enough!

I had thought of a chair and table set but don't think they have the room, their house is tiny and that's an understatement. The learning tower is so cool, but would eat very valuable floorspace.

The Kinderzeat has intrigued me, I would have never thought of that. They only have five chairs and so another booster seat would take them down to three. Then again the kitchen table is always full of "stuff" so not sure if there's enough room for a Kinderzeat to sit. Of course it would blow the whole holiday budget as well. Then the tough act of finding out how I can get her to tell me what colour she likes. Oh the things to think about!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. You've been a great help.

darby24
11-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Ooh, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was my favourite book!

Thanks so much for the link, I'll be searching locally for that book now.

darby24
11-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Gee, you sure know how to make someone's day! :D

My nephew's are my life. Plain and simple.

Thanks

sobers3
11-02-2004, 05:39 PM
I think the Britax car seat was a wonderful gift! Won't they be needing another one for your youngest nephew? Or move your oldest nephew to a larger one freeing up his for the youngest. Unfortunately, my next idea is a toy. If your sister doesn't want too many toys, I would go with something that will grow with the children lasting many years. Not gimmicky and no batteries. How about a large set of wood kindergarten blocks. The large unpainted ones they can use with those matchbox cars. Or build a farm or castles or boats. Something that would tap never ending little ones imaginations. Just an idea! GL

babymama
11-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Chiming in to say that I think a gift certificate to a portrait studio is a lovely gift! Good luck!

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

Rikkele
11-03-2004, 12:09 PM
How about a custom shopping cart cover for the 7 mo old from sewcuteboutique.com or covers4kids.com? I would LOVE one for my DD!