PDA

View Full Version : Steam Cleaner Recommendations?

bluhimmy
11-09-2004, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have experience with steam cleaners? I'm thinking about purchasing one to help with the cleanning and sanitizing around the house. I figure it's a better alternative than harsh cleaning products, especially with a baby around the house.

Any recommendations or feedback would be appreciated.

DCmommy
11-09-2004, 03:46 PM
About 5 years ago before I moved I got one of the Bissel Proheat Steam Cleaners -- I don't remember the exact name, but it was whatever was the top of their line at the time (and it was purple). I absolutely LOVED it! It could get anything out of the carpet -- dog pee, months-old red wine stains -- and essentially saved me from forfeiting my security deposit at my apartment.

Unfortunately, it was stolen out of our storage closet in our condominium and I bought another one, the Bissel PowerSteamer Pro (it's green), which is slightly less expensive, without the heating feature, and I don't like it as much. It doesn't do as well on tough stains, and I feel like it's lost some of its effectiveness, which the old one never did. The old one was very sturdy and stood up to a ton of tough use, doing things that I thought were impossible. I'll probably end up going back to get the more expensive one, which is annoying because I've already spent the money on the PowerSteamer.

So I thoroughly recommend the Bissel, but suggest you spend the extra $$$ and get the heating feature -- it's a little expensive but it can save you a fortune on professional carpet cleaning.

HTH and happy shopping!

Megan
Mommy to Patrick, 1/16/03

bluhimmy
11-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks Megan. I was actually looking for a steam cleaner for the house, rather than a carpet steam clear. Something like this:

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1338561&web_id=1338561&sz=0&sf=hm&dept=hm0016&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=&prev=hp!sf!dept&ocm=

Sorry I wasn't too clear on that. But I'm glad you told me about the Bissel. It gave me an idea for a Christmas gift for my in-laws. We got rid of all the carpets in our house.

bchafin
11-10-2004, 09:29 AM
I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I am interested in any feedback you get. I saw one on QVC and they made it look great for cleaning shower doors and the bathroom. I've been thinking of purchasing, but would like to hear other thoughts.

TIA
Barbara

bluhimmy
11-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Funny you should say that. I also saw it on QVC and that's what sparked this whole thing. I also saw a couple of infomercials for steam cleaners, but I have no idea if it's worth the money.

houseof3boys
11-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I bought this one after getting sucked in to it on HSN!

I am ashamed to say that I have only used it twice. I tried it in the shower on the grout and it didn't really get as clean as I thought it would. I also tried it on an appliance in the kitchen and it worked great!

It is kind of heavy and you have to wait a little bit for the water to warm up and it it is a large area (like when I did my shower), it runs out of water/steam pretty quickly and then you have to start the process over with filling and waiting.

What is it that you want to use it to clean? I might be tempted to try it out for you...LOL. :)

bluhimmy
11-12-2004, 03:17 PM
I checked on QVC website and looks like they have 2 different ones, which one do have?

I wasn't thinking of anything to clean in particular. Mostly for around the house, like the kitchena and bathroom. Also, thought it would be great for cleaning baby stuff like high chairs, swings and toys.

Thanks for the feedback; you made some good points to consider :o)

houseof3boys
11-12-2004, 04:32 PM
I have the exact one you posted before from HSN, not QVC. I think mine might have been the regular HSN price too! :(

I thought it would be great too but it hasn't gotten the use that I thought it would. If I had a huge closet upstairs to store these type of things, I might whip it out a bit more. You certainly couldn't use it around your child with the heat, noise and steam and I guess I didn't think about that when I spent the $$ for it!

DH has used it once when he needed something a little softer than the pressure washer that we have for outside type stuff.