PDA

View Full Version : Lego Duplo vs. Mega Blocks

nicknack
11-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Is there much of a difference between the 2? One I should get over the other? Seems like there are a variety of "sets" of the Megas, but is that the only difference?
I'd like to get something like this for B for christmas.
Thanks!
Nicole

Momof3Labs
11-21-2004, 05:50 PM
IME, the Mega Blocks are easier for little toddler fingers to manipulate and pull apart. We have quite a few of both but I finally put the Duplos away completely since Colin seemed to go for the Mega Blocks when he wants to play with blocks.

christic
11-21-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure how old your child is, but if they're under 2 I'd go with either Mega Bloks or Lego Quatro rather than Duplo. I've been trying to figure this out myself and Duplo seems to be about 1/2 the size of either the Megas or the Quatros.

justlearning
11-21-2004, 06:24 PM
If possible, you may want to try them out in the store to see which type your child prefers. We've had Megablocks since my son's first birthday, and he has enjoyed playing with them somewhat. However, about a month ago, I picked up a lot of Duplos at a yard sale and my son's crazy about them! He isn't able to stack them really high yet, but he does like stacking a few of them and just putting them together, then pulling them apart. I agree with the others--the Megablocks are much easier for younger children because they're bigger and they also go together and come apart much more easily than Duplos. I think, though, that what my son likes so much about the Duplos is that they are more of a challenge for him to put together and pull apart, and he enjoys that challenge. I've been watching a 2 1/2 year-old girl lately too, and she never plays with our Megablocks but does like building with the Duplos (in a much more advanced way than my son).

Mikesa3
11-21-2004, 06:30 PM
My kids have always loved Duplos.I think Duplos are preferable for a child 2 years and older (but my 20 month old can put them together.) JMHO Plus they take up less room.:-)
.Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

nicknack
11-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Oops, I think I meant the Quattros instead of the Duplos! Mommy brain, I suppose.
Brooks turned 1 on Thursday, so maybe a set of Mega Blocks is the best choice for now and maybe come next year he'll be able to use the Duplos?

August Mom
11-21-2004, 11:39 PM
At 1, I would say either Quattro or Mega Bloks. I'd go with whichever is the best price. FWIW, sometimes you can get good deals on Mega Bloks at TJ Maxx and Marshalls, although I haven't seen them there for awhile.

shishamo
11-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Just wanted to add that Duplo has a lot more staying power: My almost 5 year old still loves to build with the duplos, it's one of the best toys we have. My 2.5 year old loves it, too. We have mega blocks and it is good for a little baby (less than 18m).

Mommaof2
11-22-2004, 07:55 PM
In circular yesterday