PDA

View Full Version : Need Train Help

August Mom
11-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Okay. I've spent way too much time trying to figure out what Thomas pieces to get DS for Christmas and haven't decided a thing.

He has the Conductor Figure 8 Set and several accessories (Cranky, Barrel Loader, Water Tower, Covered Bridge). He has way too many cars for the amount of track that he has. So, he needs more track for sure.

He likes hills, making trains "bump" and crash and he likes to configure the track however he feels like, but generally spread as much as possible on the family room floor (it is very seldom in the figure 8 pattern).

So, what would be good additions? I have looked at various expansion packs: Advanced Figure 8; Figure 8; Straight & Curved Track; Cross & Switch. I also thought about the Mountain Overpass Set to add roadway. I like certain aspects of all of them, but I always see something wrong with them too.

Any thoughts on what's worked best for you? Maybe I just need to suck it up and buy several different expansion packs or single track, etc.

mik8
11-22-2004, 03:25 PM
If he likes hills and making trains bump, I'd suggest for either the Hill and Mountain set expansion pack or the Up and Away expansion pack set. For more "hilly" adventures, you can add bridges and tunnels such as the arched via duct (comes with the 2 ascending risers) or the mountain tunnel piece which has 3 levels of elevation.

I, too, have spent way too much time researching on Thomas pieces for DD's christmas present and my first set for her is also a Conductor's figure 8. According to my Thomas and Friends Yearbook, the Conductor's figure 8 is compatible with practically all the expansion packs for additional layout.

Don't forget to sign up for the free train promo that's going on now. You just have to pay $2.99 for shipping. We got Murdoch and I registered online. It came very fast!

Good luck on this Thomas quest!

mik8
11-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Deleted

mommyj_2
11-22-2004, 06:23 PM
Where is the free train promo going on? Do you have the link?

Momof3Labs
11-22-2004, 07:27 PM
ITA about the Up and Away expansion set. The figure 8 expansion and advanced figure 8 expansion are good but won't give him the bumps and hills.

How about some bumpy track, too?

August Mom
11-23-2004, 02:23 AM
I am planning on some bumpy track. :) I actually did look at the Up & Away Expansion Set, but thought that it didn't look that sturdy and was concerned that he wasn't old enough for it (that he would knock it down). I do like the hill & mountain set, although I can't see it in person.

Thanks for all the advice. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know.

And, where do I register for this free train - at the Thomas site?

mik8
11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Log on to www.thomastrains.com then enter code # 198404 on the box to register.

You get a free train valued up to $17.99 (they're offering 6 different kinds)if you purchase a Thomas The Tank piece between Oct. 25 - Jan, 2005 (can't remember end date)worth $25. You can combine receipts for the $25 total. The brief registration process will ask you to pay the $2.99 shipping. Then you send the receipt in the mail. Mine came within a week from the time I sent the receipts.

Enjoy the piece.

August Mom
11-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Did you have to send your receipt and the UPC from the box? It's a little unclear, but that's what I am assuming is required.

Thanks for the heads up on the offer!

Momof3Labs
11-23-2004, 11:04 PM
I haven't sent mine in yet, but I think that you just have to send the receipt.

mik8
11-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Just the receipt/s. No UPC needed. I did print out the registration form I filled online and sent it together with my receipts although it didn't ask.

JElaineB
11-24-2004, 09:16 AM
I have the Water Tower Figure 8 set and I think I am going to get the regular Fig 8 expansion set and the Hill and Mountain expansion set. I'm cringing at the idea at spending over $70 on track though. But according to one website the Hill and Mountain set is being discontinued in 2005 so I want to get it now, but it doesn't look like it has as much track variety as some of the others. Just FYI, according to the Thomas Yearbook Volume X that I have the Conductor Figure 8 set works with all the expansion sets except for Cross & Switch. I guess maybe there isn't any great configuration you can make with just those two sets, I don't know. But that might narrow down your choices. I am also probably going to get some wacky track, bumpy track and/or flexi-curve track as well.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

August Mom
11-24-2004, 10:44 PM
Jennifer,

After my continued analysis, I think I reached the exact conclusion that you did. LOL I bought the regular Figure 8 Expansion Set at Michaels with a 40% off coupon, so it was $25. I haven't seen the Hill and Mountain set IRL at all, but I think DS would really like it because he likes the hills and it seems sturdier than some of the other sets with elevation. So, I think I'll order it on-line with 20% off. I also want to get one package each of wacky track and bumpy track. And, I'm thinking about some flexi-curve track as well. I also would like another ramp. DS comes up with a lot of configurations that don't connect and then he has trouble getting his LONG train on the track.

Thanks for the info on the Cross & Switch. I didn't realize that and had considered it.