PDA

View Full Version : So those with boys, which dolls & doll strollers have you ended up picking?

MamaKath
11-22-2004, 07:51 PM
For 2 year old ds I am torn on dolls between the Paul potty training doll and a Cabbage Patch Kid boy (getting his sister a girl one already). He brought his Water Baby in the tub tonight, clothes and all, and I am concerned about the CPK since they are not made to be swimmers. ;-) Any other ideas for a doll for him for Christmas?

He also completely killed off his Graco doll stroller by sitting in it one last time, and I was thinking of getting him a new one. I was thinking of just getting a cheapy umbrella stroller (probably need to figure out which is the shortest, lol, seems so wrong to have to ask that question) that will hold up a bit better to his abuse and work fine for a doll. Any thoughts on doing this?

TaChapm
11-22-2004, 10:59 PM
I couldn't convince DH to let me get Jackson a stroller so we bought him the Little Tikes shopping cart. He loves it!!! For his first birthday we bought him a CPK and he plays with him all the time. He likes to look at the shoes and hat on his baby. It is really sweet! I think it is the perfect doll for a little boy. I am glad to see him taking on the sweet and loving role. He pushes his baby around and shops. How perfect is that! :) We did let him see the graco stroller at Costco the other day and he tried to cilmb in it and almost broke it so I am happy we went with the shopping cart.
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
and Surprise! #2 EDD 6-28-05

http://lilypie.com/baby3/021110/2/8/1/-6/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/050629/3/0/1/-6/.png

MamaKath
11-22-2004, 11:07 PM
"He likes to look at the shoes and hat on his baby."

Lol! When ds saw the picture of a boy Cabbage Patch kid tonight, he starts yelling "Boots Mommy! He has BOOTS!" I would have ordered it after he went to bed, but after that was the bath in which the fully clothed Water Baby enjoyed the fun. ;-) I am not sure it (the CPK) would be safe, lol.

I love the idea of the shopping cart instead of the stroller. I wonder if he would enjoy that as well. Hmmmmmm. Lots of thoughts.

kitmama
11-23-2004, 12:29 PM
Littleman will be almost 14 mo. at Christmas, and he'll be getting a "dimple doll" from Hearthsong:
http://www.hearthsong.com/hearthsong/product.do?section_id=1&bc=1005&pgc=79&sv=2372
No stroller yet- I'll see how he likes his "baby" and think about more accessories later! I think littleman will love it- it took some convincing to get DH on board, though! (Which surprised me- just goes to show how very ingrained these gender role expectations can be, I guess!)

houseof3boys
11-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Oooh, Kit that is a really cute doll. Are you getting the basket? Did you order yet? I think I want one for Ryan so we can split the shipping. Email me!!!!!

MamaKath
11-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Very cute! I saw those the other day and thought they might be a good "boy" doll. I was also looking at Magic Cabin and saw some similar ones. Have you gotten it yet? What do you think of it?

MamaKath
11-23-2004, 08:03 PM
I was all set to go for the potty training doll. So I cracked out a tub doll that drinks and wets from dd. First he could have cared less if the genitals were that of a boy or a girl- it was a him, lol. ;-) Then he is bathing the doll, etc. but had no real interest in the doll outside of the tub, etc. It does drink and wet, he wasn't thrilled. Worst of all it had lots of water in it after the bath, he will have to dry overnight before he can be played with again. That isn't going to work if he is supposed to bond and be a good dad to it! He was not thrilled that the wet baby got to stay in the tub and couldn't come out to play. :-(

Meanwhile I watched which doll he really plays with and they are mostly soft. Huggable doll, kwim? Most of them are smaller. I am not sure if I should try to find him a Baby Huggums type, or just go for the CPK. He was very cute playing with his WaterBaby today and showing his little friend. It is neat to see that some day he will have such great skills to be a dad. :-)

ETA: The potty training dolls, I have a major pet peeve. Why do they all come with BOTTLES? I mean not all of us here bottle feed. Why can't they come up with some sippy cup that would work instead? Plus what baby still fed by the bottle is TOILET TRAINING??? Had to vent there a minute. ;-)

tippy
11-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Kath,

I am going through the same dilema! I really like the Paul potty training doll (but it's REALLY expensive) and they don't seem that available. What was the best price you found? I like the Maclaren stroller but not sure on that either.

Teva
Mom to AJ 1/8/03

Mikesa3
11-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Have you looked at the Corolle Tidoo doll? I've only seen them online but it looks cute.It has a soft body with open and close eyes but can go in the bath and dry (supposely) in 10 minutes.The body is made of a quick dry material.I'm looking at this for my ds who'll be 22 months at Christmas.I love that's it's soft and cuddly but still can get wet.HTH (not sure what my dh will say about getting ds a doll.
:-( )
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

Mikesa3
11-23-2004, 08:55 PM
I have to LOL on your pet peeve.I agree completely.It should be a sippy cup with the potty doll.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

mommytotwo
11-23-2004, 09:49 PM
My DS loves Sesame Street so we gave him an Ernie doll and he loves playing with it. DS will put Ernie down for naps, rock him to sleep, read him stories, and feed Ernie a bottle while I feed DS#2. DH didn't seem to mind Ernie -- other dolls, well, I'm not sure it would have gone over as smoothly with DH (argh).

We have a shopping cart which DS likes playing with. He also likes my niece's toy stroller, so either seem to work fine. So far, (I'm concerned to say it -- knock on wood) I haven't seem DS attempt to sit in either.

kitmama
11-23-2004, 09:49 PM
I haven't placed the order yet- I'm still trying to decide if I'll be getting some stuff for DH's nephews too. So, I can't review it yet, but everything I've ever seen from hearthsong has been great, so I bet these are too. I do plan on getting the basket. I'll e-mail you, Debbi!

MamaKath
11-23-2004, 11:15 PM
Hi Teva,

The Paul doll is $40 or more pretty consistently it seems. That combined with tonight's experience is certainly making the CPK look better since I am pretty sure dd would "adopt" it if it is abandoned by ds. Even that may be too expensive for this. Part of me is thinking maybe I should make him a doll. I don't know.

And the Maclaren doll buggy is cute, but I saw a real umbrella stroller at Target for about $10 that was cute- blue stripes. I figure if he sits in it, at least it isn't going to immediately collapse! It was in the baby section though, not the toys. ;-) I may completely forgo the stroller and make him a sling instead for the baby doll. I have some really great boys fabrics that would be super cute! That might push dh's buttons more than the stroller and doll though, lol.

Throwing my hands up in clueless mother's shame and frustration!!!!

tippy
11-24-2004, 12:25 AM
"That might push dh's buttons more than the stroller and doll though, lol." LOL
The ONLY way I could convince dh that getting a "doll" for AJ was to tell him "look, the doll has a penis, AJ has a penis, you have a penis...what is the big deal. It's to help him learn to go on the potty for kripes sake!" That did it for some reason. I haven't mentioned the stroller though ;-)

Where did you see Paul for 40.00? I've seen it for over 60.00 on a number of sites and am having a hard time finding it at all.

Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

MamaKath
11-24-2004, 01:40 AM
LOL! I talked to dh more tonight, and he was like "that's fine" when I said about a doll. He seemed to think the CPK might be good, but I didn't push details much, lol. Okay now he is telling me a Tonka truck and a football might be better. Must be time to go to bed, I can tell I am pushing my luck even surfing and looking with him at home. ;-) Luckily I am in charge of the shopping.

http://www.eztrain.biz/corolle.html This was the place that seemed to have the Paul doll in stock. Good luck, especially when he finds out about the stroller. :-)

tippy
11-24-2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks Kath,

Goodnight!
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

houseof3boys
11-25-2004, 09:38 AM
I hear you on the bottle thing. That's like all of the I'm a big brother type of books that I am looking at show the baby with the bottle. It irks me everytime!!!!! :P