PDA

View Full Version : leapstart learning table too stimulating?

sdbc
11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
We just got a leapstart learning table for an early chanukah present from grandma. It just seems like there is SO much going on at once. When she plays with any toy lights start blinking and noise comes out. Does anybody worry that it may be over stimulating or lead to adhd or anything like that? dd is 6.5 months old and just started cruising. She seems to like the table, but not as much as the couch with the folded laundry on it. :)

Sue

lerlerler
11-29-2004, 12:05 PM
repost

lerlerler
yup.

i decided that it's really a video game (albeit an educational one)
if used a lot how could it NOT cause a child to flood his senses.

i'm not saying that it's satans spawn...but i'm skipping all those toys..and saving ME batteries and headaches

nak, sorry

anutalp
I bought LT for my DS when he was 6 month old. He loves it so much, and still has an interest in it. I don't think it's too much stimulation. If you worried about it you can always give it to her for short periods of time. My DS plays with it around 10 minutes 3 times a day. He just gets bored and crawls to another toy.
I think it's one of the best toys made for this age group.
Happy Hanukah!!!

JacksMommy
11-29-2004, 03:41 PM
I don't believe that any particular toy is likely to lead to ADHD. While I'm not a fan of electronic toys myself, this was a big hit with DS when he got it for his 1st birthday. I think that if kids are overstimulated by something they will usually stop playing with it, and this is a toy that requires the child to start the songs/music and keep them going. It's not like TV which is simply on. I could see where it would be a bit much for a 6.5 month old - if you think your DC is overstimulated, maybe limit the time used or put it away for a while.

Laurel
WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD baby girl 12/24/04

jk3
11-29-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm not a huge fan of electronic toys but I loved that table and was sad when we packed it away. There are a lot of gadgets but I don't think it's overstimulating. If the noise or lights bother you, you can turn it off. The batteries died on my DS's table and he still enjoyed playing with it. I do not think a toy can lead to ADHD for what it's worth.

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

brittone2
11-30-2004, 03:44 PM
I agree with all the above PPs. I don't buy electronic toys for DS because I don't like them frankly, but I also want him to be imaginative in his play and I'd rather skip things that aren't "Logan Powered." I don't think that parents who decide to use electronic toys, etc. are bad parents by any stretch, but if you think your DS is overstimulated by it, I'd follow your instinct and put it away for a while or limit his use of it.

If you want an interesting book to read on the topic, I recently read "Endangered Minds" by Jane Healy. It has a lot of info and research on how T.V. and other electronic media (and toys) have impacted kids. Again, she wouldn't attribute ADHD entirely to toys, but I do believe there may be some degree of influence. Maybe kids w/ ADHD are already wired to have attentional problems, and these types of toys just reinforce that. Again, just my 2 cents :)

I fully respect every parent's right to make their own decisions for their family, but if it "feels" wrong to you, then it is wrong for *you* IMHO.

sdbc
11-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Thank you. I will definitely check out that book. I do tend to trust my intuition. Rory doesn't seem overly interested in the table. She plays with it for maybe 5 minutes at a time, but I think I will allow her to play with it with the batteries off, instead.

I feel bad because it was a gift from my mom and because it was expensive.

ellies mom
12-01-2004, 03:56 AM
Quite honestly, I find I am over stimulated by those sorts of toys. DH loves them. I have noticed that DD just ignores them until she is ready for them. I'd just leave it in the corner and let your daughter play with it as she wants. In the meantime, enjoy the help with the laundry, that is one of my DD favorite "toys" also.

ETA- Think of the money your mom could have saved if she just came over and did the laundry every week.

Melanie
12-01-2004, 06:56 PM
I agree with you...I wouldn't buy one. But we avoid as many blinking/musical toys as possible anyhow. I find the less a toy does the more room for creativity there is.