PDA

View Full Version : Train Table and set

cara1
12-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Ok, please don't kill me for another post about this. Reading all the other posts is making me sick. Would someone please just tell me what to get? No analysis, just "Cara, don't read all this stuff. Just get this one... We need a Table plus starter set. I don't want to make myself nuts picking out this Figure 8 set or that accessory kit. Just let me buy table plus set and be done with the whole thing. Although, it should be interchangable in case I want to add on in the future. Sensational Beginnings has a table ($50) plus starter set ($100). Anyone know much about this?

egoldber
12-04-2004, 08:44 PM
If you have a Costco near you, go buy their train table and accessories set for $119 or $129 whatever it is. Then go buy a Thomas and a Percy engine. Ac Moore has good deals on them if you have one nearby, otherwise just order on-line somwhere. They are not that expensive.

If you don't have a Costco, go to Target and buy their table and set instead. And get the Thomas and Percy.

HTH,

Kimberly H
12-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Ditto what Beth said. That's exactly what we're doing/did. Mia got the Costco table for her birthday (Thanksgiving) and is getting Thomas and Percy in her stocking.

Momof3Labs
12-05-2004, 09:10 AM
If you don't have Costco nearby, check TJ Maxx or Marshall's - there is a Battat table and train set for under $150. Then add Thomas and Percy, and you are done for a while.

I went to Sensational Beginnings and couldn't find the $50 table that you were talking about - can you post a link to it?

cara1
12-06-2004, 09:33 AM
I went back to the site. I can't post the link. I think I goofed. I think just the trundle drawer was $49.95.

What's the difference between Costco/Target/Brio/Thomas/Battat?

When you buy Thomas, is it just the engine? Not a whole train with other cars and a caboose?

egoldber
12-06-2004, 11:06 AM
I think that the Costco tables are made by Kidkraft for Target. Battat is its own brand, but I think that they also make the Target tables. Brio and Thomas are of course their own brands, but they are undoubtedly manufactured by someone else and just labeled for Brio and Thomas.

The main difference is price. With the Brio and Thomas tables, I think you are paying for the name. I have a Battat table that I have been very happy with.

We also have Target tracks and trains. They are nice, but perhaps not "quite" as high a quality as Thomas/Brio tracks. But its a great way to get lots of track very cheaply.

My DD certainly likes the Brio and Thomas train cars and engines MUCH more. When I suggested buying a Thomas and a Percy, I meant just the engines.

HTH,

neeter
12-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Just jumping in here, we're monitoring the whole train thing too. How's the quality of the Battat trains/tracks compared to the Target trains/tracks? Is the price difference worth it? Thanks.

egoldber
12-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Well I got my Battat table at Costco last year. But I have honestly not seen that table at Costco other than 2-3 days they had them in my store, LOL! And it is just the table, it came with no trains or track.

We also have a Target train set (lots of track and several cars) that she received as a gift last year. We also have a Thomas circle set and a few more Thomas cars. We have a couple Brio things too.

The track is all interchangeable. The Target track is fine, but not *quite* as high quality as the Thomas track. But frankly I would NEVER spend the money on that much Thomas track. My opinion of course.

We like our mish mash of stuff just fine. ;)

cara1
12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Ok, still confused.
The Costco table, does it have trundle drawers? Does it come with train tracks/cars/accessories or not? Someone else said it didn't...
The Battat table at TJ Maxx, does it come with the trains? I saw a pic online, and it plastic bins underneath instead of the rolling drawers. Is that correct?

This may all me a non-issue since my mom is giving me a hard time about picking it up at Costco...

Phoebe
12-07-2004, 04:40 PM
I felt the same way and here's what I decided on:

No table for now, but instead these tracks

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18199.jpg

A thomas & a percy engine (these actually came with thomas videos that I found at walmart)

Two Thomas brand aquarium cars ($18 for the set of two). I wanted the kids to give Thomas and Percy something to pull. Now, I realize that in the stories this may not actually be what thomas and percy pull, but quite honestly, I don't know what Percy pulls and I could not find an Annie & Clarabel (which is what Thomas pulls - I think). Oh, and I bought a Terrance ($10). For some reason dd is crazy for Terrance.

When relatives ask what they can get the kids I'm going to say, expansion tracks, freight cars, coaches.... maybe the cute circus cars.

Hope this helps!

egoldber
12-07-2004, 05:58 PM
The Kidkraft style Costco table (the one that is $129 or $119 whatever it is) comes with 2 trundle style drawers. It comes with a whole slew of cars and track and also other things I think. I have honestly not paid muhc attention to it this year since I have a table.

My Battat table (which was $49 and I think maybe a fluke thing that my Costco carried as a one time only deal) has plastic bins underneath. It does NOT come with trains or track.

What is wrong with Costco? Everyone I know who has it, really likes it. I can assure you it as fine a quality as the Thomas and Brio ones.

ethansmom
12-07-2004, 07:21 PM
There is more than one brand, right? It seems like I see those things everywhere! Are the ones at Target the same as the ones at TRU?

Thanks!

egoldber
12-07-2004, 09:48 PM
No. Thomas and Percy are part of "The Thomas Wooden Railway System". There are other brands of cars/engines/trains, but they do not have the faces like the Thomas trains do. For some reason, young kids seem particularly attracted to the Thomas brand trains.

The Thomas trains you find at Target are generally not compatible with the Wooden Railroad system. You have to read the label on the box carefully. Target sells a lot of the "Take a Long Thomas" trains, which is a plastic line that is not compatible with the wooden line.

And just to make things even MORE confusing, Target is now selling some kind of hybrid line that is plastic but is also compatible with the wooden system. Frankly, I would just stick with the Wooden Railroad system cars.

HTH,

cara1
12-07-2004, 10:17 PM
>
>What is wrong with Costco? Everyone I know who has it, really
>likes it. I can assure you it as fine a quality as the Thomas
>and Brio ones.

No, I mean literally, she's giving me a hard time about PICKING IT UP for me at Costco. I'm not a member, and "it won't fit in her car", blah, blah, blah. Grrr.

ethansmom
12-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Now I know what to look for!

sbaker
12-08-2004, 11:56 PM
We have some of both the regular Thomas wooden trains and the hybrid trains from Target. The hybrid trains at Target are part of the Interactive Learning series. The trains themselves are actually metal and IMO seem to be slightly easier to use. They are a little bit heavier than the wooden ones and roll better on the track (wooden or plastic). Also, the trains at Target have at least one engine and one additional car and sell for $9.99 (or one engine and two cars for $11.99) versus just one wooden engine at TRU for $12.99. The plastic track does work just fine with the wooden track and is much cheaper as well.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

tippy
12-11-2004, 12:26 AM
We got the Costco Kidcraft table. It honestly is an awesome deal. I did a lot of research on price online and you can't beat this deal. The table is sturdy, well made and the trundle drawers are great for storage. The "set" that comes with it isn't the best quality but for my two yr old it will do just fine for now. I plan on upgrading with brio or thomas trains and tracks as time goes on. As far as picking the table up....IT IS HEAVY!!! I never could have come close to getting the thing off the shelf. DH did it but needed one of the guys at the store to help him get it into the car. It really weighs A LOT! We have shopping carts in our building and dh was able to rest it on top of one to get it upstairs.
Teva
Mom to AJ born 1-8-03

natividad
12-13-2004, 01:07 PM
One of my local Marshalls (Bailey's Cross Roads for those of you in NoVa) is currently selling the Battat train table *with* set for $99. It does not have trundles. I actually bought this table and it seems like very good quality. The set is all wood. The only reason I ended up returning this table is because we found out DS is going to inherit his cousin's Thomas table and tracks for Christmas.

Naty,
Mommy to Alexander
and baby #2 - EDD May 05