PDA

View Full Version : We have no idea what to get our son for Christmas.....

newdad04
12-12-2004, 12:30 PM
I know that sounds stupid, but it's true. We wanted to get the FP learning home, but we can't find it anywhere (Target, TRU, BRU, Walmart, and online). I saw some on ebay but we're not going to get price-gouged. So we're going to wait until his b-day (March) to get it. He's only 9 months old, he'll have no idea that he *missed* out on it as a X-mas gift.

Now we don't know what to get. DW thought of more peek-a-blocks or more snap-blocks. But, he's not yet old enought to stack or connect them and plays just fine with what he has. We have the Leap Frog pad and he loves that, plays with it every day.

When we go to the store we just walk around and can't decide on ANYTHING. Like I said he's 9 months, just starting to crawl, and has very busy hands. Actually, the thing he loves best right now is to shred his mamma's US Weekly after she's read it,lol.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Daddy to 9 month old rascal.

TracyBee
12-12-2004, 12:42 PM
How about some board books to flip through?

The leap frog learning table is awesome, too! Actually any leap frog toy has been popular around here - especially Baby Tad.

Maybe a shape sorter or a soft ball?

bluej
12-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Do you have stacking cups? I kid you not, Ryden, at 18 months still loves his stacking cups. Best $5 we've ever spent! And I know they say 18mos+ and above or some say 3+, but a dump truck is also a great gift. Your DS will enjoy putting things in the dump bed and then dumping them out and gradually he'll start to push the truck around. Balls are also great. The Nobbie Gertie ball is a popular one. If space allows it, a tunnel is great fun for a new crawler http://store.yahoo.com/kidsurplus/ppt20406.html (once again, one of those toys that say 3+).

geochick
12-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Some stages are tough to find the perfect toy for, but luckily stages only last a few months. Since he's crawling, he'll be pulling up soon. Once he does that he might like a walker. My 10.5 month ds loves his walker. Do you have a learning table? That's another pull-up toy that you'd get a lot of fun play out of. My ds also like his Stand Up Ball Blast before he could stand up. He still plays with it every day. My ds's favorite toys for the past few months have been his musical instruments, but espesially his mini-maracas. He carrys those wherever he goes. I always get the instruments at Expressivetoys.com - they have been very good to us. Have you thought about the Little People Farm? Another hit at our house. Hang in there and good luck.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18463.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18464.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18466.gif

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18467.jpg

eb1
12-12-2004, 03:15 PM
I just checked www.walmart.com and it has the learning home in stock if you're willing to pay shipping.

We're getting our 9-month-old the Incrediblock, a Radio Flyer wagon, and some stacking cups and balls for Christmas. We've asked the grandparents for a few other toys and I think they're getting mostly FP toys.

My 9-month-old has been crawling for a couple months, and honestly, he's much more interested in exploring than in toys. So we're trying to buy things that he will grow into, rather than stuff that will keep his attention only at this stage.

papal
12-12-2004, 03:26 PM
You said it yourself.. he is just 9 months old and will not know that he missed out on gifts for this christmas. This might probably be the only christmas he won't be aware of what he missed.. heehee.. so why not just keep it that way. But if you want something for under the tree.. I suggest board books too. If you do a search in this forum you will hit upon a lot of suggestions for favourite board books.
So far, our favourites are:
Brown Bear, Brown Bear.
Doggies - Sandra Boynton

Another favourite thing is the Laurie Brekener CD called Buzz Buzz.
And another thing is the $3 Target 'knubby' ball.

He will probably get gifts from so many others.. why not keep it simple for you and his mom. that is what i would do! :)

KrisM
12-12-2004, 04:00 PM
I don't know where you live, but I've seen the Learning Home at Target and BRU lately. It was gone for a while, but they have more now. I'm in Detroit.

jamsmu
12-12-2004, 09:05 PM
You have some great suggestions here. Another toy that DS LOVES is the Little Tykes Tool Bench (old model). We gave it to him around 6 months and he still plays with it everyday (he's 15 months now.) There are so many things to do with it and he's really grown from one thing to another. He's into the stacking cups and putting the ball in and dumping it right now. He's always loved the individual toys that come with it and is just getting the hammer part.

There have been great book suggestions. We love anything Sandra Boynton, and this year asked for her Philadelphia Chickens book and cd set.

DS also loves balls--big and small. So that is another idea.

And megablocks have been a hit since about 10 months.

Oh! and Cars and trucks! We got him some Megablocks trucks for a vacation this summer. Great stocking stuffer.

Happy Holidays :)

bchafin
12-13-2004, 10:34 AM
You've gotten great suggestions. I just wanted to chime in that my TRU had TONS of the learning homes yesterday. You may want to double check near you. I live in southern MD.

Barb

amp
12-13-2004, 01:46 PM
At that age our son enjoyed the Leapfrog Leapstart Learning Table. He also enjoyed books, but not really as much until recently. But it's never too soon to start ingraining a love of books. Just before he turned a year (10 mths), we got him a Kettler Kiddio Supertrike from TRU and he loves it! He was able to ride it then because of the seatbelt, bucket seat and parent pushbar. He still loves riding in it. Also, I don't know if you are in a warm climate, but my son loved anything with water at that age (pool, water table, etc), as well as his sandbox that he got at age 1.

Now, at 18 mths, his fav toys are books, stacking cups, shape sorter. Anything he can maniupulate and take in or out of stuff. I would look to stuff like that for toys he'll be able to enjoy for the next several months.

dowlinal
12-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Some of the toys-r-us stores are still getting shipments of the laugh and learn home. There are two stores near me in Paramus and one was competely out but last night the second got a shipment of 50 of them in.