PDA

View Full Version : For those who shop in advance for gifts....

ethansmom
12-18-2004, 12:02 AM
in order to take advantage of sales, or in-stock items at TJMaxx, etc. What do you do about gift receipts?

I ask because I just purchased a M&D toy at TJMaxx for a bday gift (to give @ a party tomorrow). I was surprised that they don't offer gift receipts! I don't want to include the receipt, but I also don't want them to be stuck with a gift they don't want. What to do?

I also recently "stocked-up" on gifts for the first time - legos. I plan to give these as bday gifts next year - even if I had a gift receipt, they aren't good 6 months after purchase, are they?!?

I'd love to be able to take advantage of sales but also know the gifts weren't sitting unused in a closet because the receiver wanted to return them but couldn't. What to do? I should probably add that I "think" I buy only "good" toys and only give what I think the child would enjoy. Buying on sale just enables me to give more...

TIA!

August Mom
12-18-2004, 09:59 AM
In most instances, you can return to TRU without a receipt. That's what I usually do if we need to return a gift and don't have a receipt. If you get something more obscure from TJ Maxx (Smoby toys, for instance), the person will probably be "stuck" with it without a receipt. At BRU the other day a clerk forgot to print a gift receipt. She told the customers they could black out the price and give the recipient the original receipt. I'm not sure if that would work at TJ Maxx or not.

Momof3Labs
12-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Even if you give your original receipt for TJ Maxx, it is only good for 30 days (their return window), which would be fine for the b'day party tomorrow but not for the gifts that you stock up on.

FWIW, people rarely give gift receipts with gifts that Colin gets. If it is something that we won't use (or a duplicate), I'll try to return to TRU if they stock the item, otherwise I might re-gift it or donate it to a toy drive around the holidays.

lisak
12-22-2004, 01:31 AM
I think I'd like to try shopping in advance to have gifts on hand...and try to save some money too. I like to give books or multi-purpose toys.

What are some good gender neutral gifts for 1 year olds & 2 year olds?

TIA!

Mommaof2
12-22-2004, 04:41 PM
I resist the urge to "stock" up just for this reason. I don't even buy legos without knowing which kids I'd give them too. Now so many people have Megablocks. I have my cell on hand an call friends to ask if this toy would be something their child might enjoy for b-day, x-mas. We only buy x-mas and b-day for our close friends so they don't mind a call, shows I'm thinking of their kid way in advance.