PDA

View Full Version : I need a really large/long range monitor??

toomanystrollers
12-20-2004, 02:55 PM
For the purposes of getting DD off the bus while her siblings are napping. I'm guessing w/my driveway and crossing the street - maybe 600 - 700 ft. Our old Sony monitor conks out about halfway down the driveway.

Any suggestions?

TIA

kensjen
12-20-2004, 08:47 PM
I have a newer sony, this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006FWVN/qid=1103593332/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/103-7394347-3155025?v=glance&s=baby

I have used it over at my neighbor's, and it was great. Not sure that I have traveled 600 feet with it, though. ;)

cara1
12-20-2004, 09:09 PM
We don't have a monitor. I rarely leave DD in the house by herself, but I will go to get the mail. My only thoughts are that if you have to get your kids at the bus stop, and you DO hear the baby on the monitor, what would you do? You still couldn't run back if you were standing there with the bus? KWIM? Just a thought...

toomanystrollers
12-21-2004, 03:42 PM
It's not the baby I'm worried about :) It's her 3 yo brother!! LOL - so if I hear glass breaking, fires being started (just kidding) - then I know he's awake.

kfcboston
06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm looking for a good long-range monitor too. Money's not really an object. Did you find one you like?

miki
06-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I don't know if this is workable but it's something DH has thought up for times when we've been invited to the neighbors' next door for a barbecue and DD would be asleep. How about getting a pair of walkie talkies, put one by your baby monitor in the house set to broadcast and take the other with you set to receive to the bus stop?

ainwonderland
06-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Oooh neighbors recommended something similar to us as well. However, they used a couple of quarters and some rubber bands to hold the "talk" button down on the two way radios (there was no "broadcast" option on ours) and then leave that radio with the baby.

Unfortunately our model had a battery saver annoying function :-) that it would beep if the talk button was held down to long, making this not possible for us. In essence the loud beeping then woke up the baby! Oops.

I have the FP Lights & Sounds at home and it won't make it to the lake at my mom and dads, but the FP L&S 900MHz will make it all the way to the lake. My other recommendation would be to try some of the higher frequency models and then take them home and try them.

good luck!