PDA

View Full Version : Target "Little Tree" Train sets and Table--Any good?

daisymommy
12-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Okay, I know there have been lots of train discussions going on here lately, so I will try to read the past posts too, but please help me out here FAST ladies, as I am really late to the game! (2 days before Christmas!)

Here's the deal: DH and I had originally decided to just wait until next year to buy Joshua a train & table set, thinking he was too young to really enjoy it this year. But DH took Josh to Toys-R-Us tonight, and Josh spent over an hour playing with the Imaginarium train set! The only way DH could get him to leave the store was to purchase a 65 peice set--for $100! ACK! He had no idea that you could find them cheaper elsewhere.

We need your help! There isn't a Costco close-by (okay--maybe an hour away, but I'm sure their stock is wiped out by now). I remotely remember a post about some sets & a table at TJMax or Marshalls? But I know for sure I heard talk of the sets and table at Target. Our Target has the tables on sale for $69 and the 70 piece train set for $15...I think its the "Little Tree" brand?

1) Is this train set and table any good?
2) What other brands is this train set compatible with?
3) The Target train set is pretty basic, so where could we get a compatible "green mountain/tunnel" to go with it?

Thanks for your last minute help, you gals are lifesavers!

Thatchermom
12-24-2004, 02:38 AM
Don't know much about the tables there, though I think others have said they were fine. We have the train set, and it fits fine with both "real" Thomas stuff and regular Brio stuff. There is also a bigger set at Target that has a mountain/tunnel and more pieces. I think it usually runs around $40. Too bad you're not close by - DH said he found one of the tables from Costco tonight at a local liquidation store that buys Costco's seconds - complete for $60. Wish we hadn't paid full price for ours in September!

daisymommy
12-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Waaah! I wish I was close by! I'm in northern Virginia, and all the tabels are sold out at our Costco(s). We are going to check at Target today. I really liked the look of the trundles beneath the table rather than the drawers like Target has. I'm starting to wonder if we should just wait until next year like we had originally planned, but now I've got my hopes all up for a nice train set and table...NOW! :)
Thanks for the input and your help, wish me luck!

new_mommy25
12-24-2004, 02:50 PM
All the tables were marked down at our Costco too. Since I had saved the receipt I was able to get almost $80 back!

Amy, I don't think you need to get a train table right away. Your DS could just play with the tracks on the floor. Then after the excitement of Christmas dies down you can spend more time searching for the perfect table. I think there are some good deals to be had on the internet.

Also, Nordstom Rack had a ton of Brio sets when I was there last.

sbaker
12-25-2004, 12:14 AM
The table is good. We have one. It is made by Maxim and sells for a lot more in other stores. This is the exact same table:
http://www.trains4tots.com/masptoptawi2.html

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

sarsah
12-25-2004, 03:45 PM
Our original set is the Little Tree one. It's a good set -- not as durable as Brio/Thomas, but not bad. Just watch because some of the Little Tree pieces, when joined with Thomas/Brio track pieces they get 'stuck' (i.e. hard to put together/take apart). My DS#1 doesn't have a lot of patients and broke a few tracks trying to get them apart.

Personally, I would skip the table. DH made one for DS#1 and he didn't play with it very often. He prefers to build the train on the floor (part of the fun for him is the building process). We ended up putting the train in the attic and DS really doesn't miss it.

Sarah........mom to Jason (5/25/00) & Devin (5/12/03)

daisymommy
12-25-2004, 11:29 PM
Update! We got the table and train set from Target. Can we say WOW! Joshua played with it all-day-long! The table isn't put together yet, but I looked at it and it seems nice. We have the train set on top of the coffee table (lovely decortaing scheme ;)) and he is just in heaven with my $15 bargain :) He keeps shouting CHOO-CHOO! CHUGGA-CHUGGA-CHOO-CHOO! Over and over repositioning the trains, tacks, trees, etc. I am so glad we got it rather than to wait till next year. And I really think it's a decent quality set too. We haevn't even used all the pieces so far. Yes, Thomas may be nicer, but Joshua doesn't seem to know that :) Thanks for your help ladies, this gift was a clear winner in our family this year!

jasmine
12-26-2004, 03:22 AM
I had to laugh about your "decorating scheme". DS's train table (from Target) IS our coffee table :-).