PDA

View Full Version : Kettler Help: Seatbelt prolems

jec2
12-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Ok, so here is our last minute assembly conundrum! We have the Jumbo and also have the seat belt. However, we cannot figure out how to attach the part of the seatbelt that runs between the kids legs and then connects underneath the seat. The instructions illustrate a bolt that you run the seatbelt through, but our bolt is much too small. Is this just the wrong bolt that they sent? Or, can our particular trike not use this part of the seatbelt?

imnotready
12-25-2004, 01:27 AM
There have been some prior posts about this problem. It was reported that Kettler had produced a batch of seatbelt kits with the wrong size bolt. If you received one of these, your options are to call Kettler for the correct bolt, or buy one from a local hardware store.

Did you double check the hardware bag? I have a Jumbo and my seatbelt kit came with two bolts – a short one and a long one. I only used the long one.

hwin708
12-25-2004, 01:33 AM
I have the Navigator, so I don't know if it's the same, but I figured I'd give it a shot.
First of all, I would assume the Jumbo would have this part of the seatbelt as well, because why would that trike just go across and not between the legs as well?
My seatbelt actually came with two bolts, oddly enough, a short one and a long one, even though you only needed one, the long one. So I guess they made a "bolt error" with mine, and could have made a bolt error with yours.
The triangle under the seat has a hole for the bolt to go through. You put the bolt through the first hole. You run the seatbelt strap under the seat into the space between the two holes. You then run the bolt through the loop on the strap, and into the hole on the other side. Then you screw the nut at the end.
If your bolt is too short to go from one side to the other, then I would definitely say your bolt is too short. I can't imagine it being too small in width, as all the bolts, short and long, were the same width. I know it took me several tries to get the bolt to come out the hole on the other end, and not too much sticks out, but it definitely made it....so, again, if yours doesn't go the distance, then you need another bolt.
I'm certain Kettler would send you another one, but, if you're in a hurry, a long bolt is probably under a dollar at a hardware store.
Good luck!

jec2
12-25-2004, 02:44 AM
Ooh, yep! That must be what it is. I did do a search & found old threads from last spring (when we actually bought the trike) where others had the same problem. Thanks so much for the help :)

jec2
12-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Thanks so much for the instructions. This trike wasn't the easiest thing to put together (well, why am I complaining, DH did it all, LOL!) Anyway, it does look like our bolt is too short. We got our trike back in the spring and from searching old posts that was a common problem with that batch.

Looks like Kettler will be getting a request for a bolt :)