PDA

View Full Version : Wheelie (Wheely) Bug ride-on toys--REVIEW added.

punrocker
12-27-2004, 12:35 PM
I searched the archives and couldn't find any previous posts on this toy, the Wheelie Bug (Wheely Bug in the UK) ride-on from Australia. My youngest brother and his girlfriend ordered one from England, for DS's Christmas gift, and it's the cutest thing! Apparently, it has won several toy awards Down Under.

http://www.wheeliebug.com/

My son received the small bumblebee version, but there are ladybug and cow models.

Anyone else heard of, or have, this toy? It's ridiculously adorable IRL, especially when DS (15 mos.) is riding it!

http://www.wheeliebug.com/assets/wheely_bee.jpg

Edited to add a picture. :)

ETA Review 3/11/05:
DS has been using his Wheelie Bug for about 3 months now, and loves it. It's great as a ride-on and as a push toy, but is intended only for indoor use. The wheels are multi-directional casters, so they're best suited for hardwood or bare floors, or low pile carpet. On thicker carpets (like at my parents' home), the wheels have a tendency to catch and tip DS over the handles. DS can stay in one spot and do donuts on our kitchen floor!

If you have a new walker and smooth floors, the Wheelie Bug might not be suitable for your DC just yet, as it can move quite fast and can get away from your child. Also, the handle is pretty low, but for a confident walker, it should be fine.

The small Wheelie Bug can support up to 150 lbs., and the manufacturer says it's good for children ages 1-3. It's very well made, with an 11-ply wooden base (which looks "cleaner" than on the picture from the maker's website that's shown above), metal hardware, and durable plastic casters. The vinyl on the seat is sturdy, cushioned underneath, and well-sewn.

My youngest brother's girlfriend ordered it from England, from HippyChick (http://www.hippychick.com/). I'm not sure how much it cost (promised not to look), but she did mention that shipping was $20 and only took 3 days to reach the US (New England).

Here are a few more pictures. Pardon DS's inappropriate winter outfit...we were trying on a Hanna knockoff by Vitamins!

bluej
03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
The Wheelie, your DS and the outfit are all just too cute!

jendalymd
03-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Oh, I've got to get one of these for my DS. I especially like the cow one. Oh, I wish the Dollar wasn't so weak right now!

sbaker
03-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I actually contacted the company that makes them and you can buy it directly from them. Here's a copy of the response that I got.

"Dear Sara,

Currently we have no distributor in the US, but we are happy to send you one direct.

Costs are:

Small Wheely Bug (1-3yrs) US$ 86.65
Large Wheely Bug (3-5yrs) US$ 101.45

These prices include postage by economy airmail; please allow 4 weeks
for delivery.

To purchase; please reply with your choice of size and model (Ladybird, Bee or Cow) and include your delivery address.

We will then send you an invoice via PAYPAL where you can use your
credit card or bank deposit to complete the transaction.

Kind regards,

Barry Child
General Manager
Wheely Bug Toys Pty Ltd
Ph 61 7 4093 7116
Fx 61 7 4093 7113
www.wheelybug.com"

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to:
Rayce 02/09/02
Charlye 12/20/03

brittone2
03-12-2005, 01:21 PM
How CUTE is that??? Your DS and his bug that is ;) And I love the HA knockoff...adorable!!!

jakobsmommie
03-12-2005, 04:56 PM
That is JUST the thing I've been thinking of getting for DD for her first birthday.
Does it roll on carpet very well? The only tile we have is in the kitchen.

slknight
03-12-2005, 05:01 PM
That is too cute. Thanks for sharing. And where did you get that outfit?! What a great Hanna knockoff. I want one. :-)

punrocker
03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks! It's from BRU, and was only $7.99, so I couldn't pass it up! The brand is Vitamins, and DS is wearing a size 24M. At our local BRU, the Vitamins clothes were on a rack in the midst of the boys section (not with the layette stuff). LOL, several people asked about the outfit in the Wheelie Bug tangent in my LE clamdiggers thread. I didn't realize the outfit would generate such interest!