PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen follow up - what did you get, are you satisfied?

Mommaof2
12-27-2004, 02:07 PM
We ended up with the Kidkraft primary kitchen from Learning Express. I chose it becuase I wanted wood, unisex and I couldn't go with an island (two sided) because of our playroom layout. I like that it's one unit as opposed to multiple pieces, seems sturdier and is much taller (more storage!) It is really nice and wasn't that difficult to put together. TONS of storage and the microwave is the big hit! I guess because I allow her to open, push buttons in real life it's what she identifies with the most. The backslash color is really cute and I'm pleased with it being unisex for our son to play with. It's MDF wood but it will certainly last the 6-8 yrs we plan on having it set up (we're planning on a 3rd child). I don't think it's quality is so great it will be enough that I save it in the attic for the next 20 years but who knows. Here's our 2.5 yr old playing.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18897.jpg

So what did you get, why and what is your rating?

corrie23
12-27-2004, 09:54 PM
I think my parents will be getting DD the pastel kidcraft one forher 2nd b-day end of Feb. I prefer the one you have, but my Mom can get the pastel one wholesale and she can't get the primary one (oh well). Glad to hear you're pleased with the kitchen.

Also, I noticed that adorable tea kettle on your DD's stove, can I ask where you found it?

Your DD looks just precious in her chef's gear!

vikivoly
12-27-2004, 11:22 PM
Victoria looks so cute in her apron and chef's hat. Did you make them? Where did you get the pots and pan set? They are a nice size. The set I got for DD's 2nd birthday are so small she can't even put her wooden food in them. I also like your tea pot. Did it come with the set?

To answer your original post, my Dad made DD her set for her birthday and we love it. It is a copy of the Land of Nod one. I'll post some brag pics soon. :)

jk3
12-28-2004, 12:01 AM
My inlaws gave DS a Little Tikes Kitchen - Interactive Cook + Clean, I think- and while it would not have been the one I chose, my DS loves it. There are lots of drawers and cabinets. The interactive features are minimal and the colors are pretty neutral which I like. My only complaints: the sink is too small + there's only one burner. It's a medium sized kitchen which works well since we don't have a ton of space.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002CK9RA/qid=1104210019/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-4672272-1691050?v=glance&s=toys
Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

squimp
12-28-2004, 12:34 AM
It's cute, but smallish - not as much storage as the Kidkraft one above, but man it is a good price right now.

I did a search and could not find a review.

jenmcadams
12-28-2004, 09:35 AM
We got the same kitchen and Abbie loves it. I really wanted the primary color one and was lucky enough that a learning express near where we just moved in FL got 5 in at the last minute. Assembly wasn't awful, but we did have two broken pieces...still need to get back in to the store to see if they can replace them.

Mommaof2
12-28-2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks! The chef gear was a last minute $15 find on ebay (Mullins Square). Arrived on Christmas Eve. We left it as a gift from Santa thanking her for the cookies and next year she can wear it while she makes them for him. She has always wanted a muffin man hat :)

The tea pot is just a small timer that was given to me as part of a kitchen basket at my wedding shower back in '00. Pretty sure it was from Wal-mart. I was trying to teach her how to set it for cooking things in the oven but she's too little to work it. It never occured to me she'd use it as a tea pot.

teddy
12-28-2004, 01:39 PM
THis is the one MIL got DD for her birthday last month. In addition, MIL paid a few extra bucks to have the high school boy at the store deliver it to my house AND build it. I don't think I could have done it with a 2 year old and a newborn to look after. DD loves the kitchen. She sort of climbs up to reach the microwave though. I just don't want the whole kitchen to fall on her!

kensjen
12-28-2004, 06:11 PM
We got several pieces of the Small World Toys kitchen. So far we really like it. It wasn't too hard for DH to put together, although we do have a few pieces they need to send to us that were broken. All in all, it is made very well, and very sturdy. It has a lot of storage, and doors to open and close...which DS loves right now. I also like the primary colors, I know my DH would not have been thrilled with a pink kitchen for his son. LOL! I am hoping to add some of the other pieces later, maybe at his birthday. We need to finish the basement though, these are taking up a lot of room! ;) It is cute though, we have them in our kitchen and he plays with his stuff while I cook dinner. So far it is working out well, keeps him distracted.

So I am happy! They are exactly what I expected, and I believe that Jonah and any future children will get a lot of use out of these pieces.

Here is a photo:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18930.jpg

Mommaof2
12-28-2004, 09:23 PM
I wish I could sew like that, it's from Mullin's Square. It's really cute and probably worth the $26/retail they're asking. I was able to score one off ebay for $15 including shipping so I was thrilled.

The dish set was from last year, I have seen it recently and for 1/2 the price at Target and Marshall's. It's really not that big though. We only have a few wooden pieces and they don't fit well in it.

I can't wait to see your pictures! Brag away.

vikivoly
12-28-2004, 10:37 PM
So when was the last time you bought yourself a $26 chef hat & apron. ;) I'm glad I didn't see it before Christmas or it would have been one more gift to wrap.

I haven't seen any dish sets at Target, maybe I'm looking in the wrong section. It is big compared to our set. Her largest pot is about the size of my 3/4 SS measuring cup.

vpalmer
12-28-2004, 10:37 PM
We ordered the Constructive Playthings kitchen and we are very happy with it. I started a partial review of it before we put it together and will finish it now that the kitchen is complete. Eva loves it and for the price ($160) the quality can't be beat. It is made of MDF but it is very solid.

I will post more pictures of the kitchen with my review, but here is Eva playing with the kitchen on Christmas morning. As you can see, the sink is removable. ;-)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/18939.jpg
Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

cchavez
12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Diego got this from Santa and it has been a hit. I would have preferred the Kidkraft one but it wasn't unisex enough for DH. I hope to post pics and a full review soon.

http://www.fao.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=97

We ordered ours from babyride.com

JuJuE
12-29-2004, 03:58 PM
My sons have the blue kitchen from Pottery Barn Kids and they love it. I paid (EEK) the regular price at a PBK store for the cooktop, but found the fridge at an outlet, so all in all it wasn't too costly. I love how retro it looks, plus it was the boyish kitchen I could find.
We have had it almost a year and it has held up great. My only complaint is that the sink has a few rust spots. I guess it wasn't intended for real water use, LOL.

Mommaof2
12-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Sadly I was eyeing an apron for myself but almost gagged when I saw it was $52! Needless to say my clothes did just fine with no apron.

Mommaof2
12-29-2004, 04:55 PM
We had the plexiglass cracked on oven front, so I need to call too. The store sent me to their main 1800# and they were closed on Monday when I tried.

Mommaof2
12-29-2004, 04:57 PM
I love that set! That's what I narrowed it down too and was really surprised when DH picked the Kidkraft (not sure how much was swayed by price). I like all the natural wood on it. The one we bought my DD asked where the dishwasher was :)

alexsmommy
12-29-2004, 10:38 PM
We also got the Small World Toys set - but we got the oven and sink in one piece set. We actually were lucky enough to get a dry run at Lisa's (lmintzer) and when she said our local toy store had it, I jumped at the chance since Alex didn't want to leave Jack's set. We had a coupon for 20% off any one item so it was a great deal - Grandpa went over that day and got it. He loves this set, especially opening the oven door and putting his food in it. I love that it is so unisex and sturdy. I wanted to make sure he would play with it before I also go the refrigerator. He was so entranced he didn't want to open his other gifts - so the frige will be the next big present from Grandma and Grandpa.
I am grateful my parents offered to purchase this set, but I have to say, I was really frustrated that there weren't more unisex choices in lower price ranges. We do plan on having more children, so a wood set isn't overkill, but if it hadn't been for my parents, I'd probably still be deciding if I should go ahead and spend the money to get it. I'm glad it's here though b/c DS is one happy chef.

parkersmama
12-30-2004, 12:05 AM
We (well, Santa ;) ) ended up buying the pink/white kitchen from PBK. We got the stove/sink and the fridge. I really love the hutch piece as well but we don't have room for more than 2 pieces.

http://a293.g.akamai.net/7/293/5910/0010/image1.styleinamerica.com/pkecimgs/images/products/200451/0006/img50m.jpg

My MIL got her a big set of the Melissa & Doug wooden food (which has been a HUGE hit with all 3 kids!!).

http://store1.yimg.com/I/creativebrains_1824_231625

And my parents got her a pots & pans set from Constructive Playthings. It is really cute (but as egoldber pointed out to me once, metal pans are *very* loud!). The kids love the apron and oven mitt especially. I got a real kick out of spying on Wesley earlier this week doing his best to take the "pizza" out of the "oven" with the mitts on. LOL!

http://www.constplay.com/constplay.com/family/product_images/CHN-20L.jpg

All three of our kids have really been enjoying playing restaurant and so on with the kitchen. The boys don't seem to mind at all that it is pink. :) We decided we didn't necessarily need unisex colors since AG is our final child.

Mommie2MadLyn
12-30-2004, 11:43 AM
This is the set that we have from Christmas LAST year. I LOVE it and so does DD. Its been a year and I will say, she still plays with it everyday. It is very well made and I like the primary colors also. It makes it more neutral for any future children to play with.

nigele
12-30-2004, 02:42 PM
We bought the KidKraft primary kitchen. Tom has had a blast playing with it. I think the quality is great but wish the sink was metal. Tom loves to take out the sink and dump the contents into the sink hole and I can just imagine the plastic sink cracking at some point. Other than that, I'm extremely pleased with the kitchen!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19024.jpg

Mommaof2
12-31-2004, 06:11 PM
5 days into our new kitchen it has a chip on the front of the oven door under the glass (a little smaller than a nichel). It looks like a toy rolled into it or something. I'll be buying the touch up paint a lot sooner than I ever planned. My kids are really easy on toys so I was really suprised it's already showing wear.