PDA

View Full Version : swing, bouncer and jumper?

monkee88
12-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Hi - I'm a first time mom due in February and am trying to figure out if we truly need a swing, jumper and bouncer. I sort of see how these are different, but they also seem pretty similar. We have a small house and I'm having a hard time imagining us using them all - any thoughts on these items as necessities?

Thanks for your help!
:D

NYSarah
12-27-2004, 08:40 PM
We went with just a bouncer/rocker for the time being. Lots of our friends told us that swings and jumpers were really love/hate things for their kids -- some babies adored them, others just screamed and hated them -- and recommended trying your baby out in them at someone's house (or a store) before spending any money. Even the bouncer-type seat isn't universal, but virtually everyone said they really did use theirs. We have a small house too, and I think we will probably end up skipping the swing and definitely plan to skip the jumper.

Mommaof2
12-27-2004, 09:05 PM
The bouncey seat is good for sitting baby on table while you cook, etc. Baby will like to see you, it's also easier to feed them in it if your high chair doesn't recline. It's also very easy to move around your house, like bring into bathroom while you shower.

The swing is really a must have "if" your baby likes it. Mine did. I bought the smaller "portable" swing and honestly it's very different than the big swing. The big swing has different angles to adjust seat, I got longer use out of it than the portable. But I have a 2 story house so one on each level made things easier for me.

I also bought the big new jumper, I returned it. I thought it was just a total waste of $64. It's HUGE, as big as a swing. But honestly you wouldn't use it until baby was over the swing anyway so from a space standpoint they are a swap. The $20 "johnny jumper" is more than adequate and doesn't take up nearly as much space. Not to mention any child consignment store will be selling them for $8. Our house is an open floorplan so the only doorframes are upstairs so we didn't use it that often and my kids seem fine :)

Babies R Us has a pretty liberal return policy. So if you get the swing and your baby doesn't like it you can return it.

It's a LOT of stuff but they outgrown it quickly so then storage is your main concern.

Momof3Labs
12-27-2004, 09:55 PM
The swing and bouncer would be used in similar age ranges. The jumper is not really an alternative to a swing or bouncer as it is used for older babies with more body support and leg strength. Jumpers, walkers and exersaucers are relatively interchangeable.

Colin hated the bouncer, so it was a waste for us. He was so-so on the swing, but was content in it for a brief period, perhaps a month. You could just get a take-along swing, which doesn't occupy as much space.

I personally don't like doorway jumpers for the safety factors, but we loved our exersaucer and it was a lifesaver for the 5 months that Colin played in it.

amazz
12-27-2004, 10:33 PM
We would be lost without our swing!! Kami loves it and sometimes it is the only thing that will calm her down when she is fussy. She also likes her bouncy seat now that she is kicking up a storm. My pedi recommends the ones with a vibrating option b/c if your baby has colic then that might be really helpful. I won't get a jumper b/c of the safety issues, but would definitely recommend the swing and bouncy seat!

HTH!
Angela
Mama to Kami Allyse (10/10/04)
A baby is God's opinion that the world should go on. ~Carl Sandburg

SpaceGal
12-27-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm a first time mom due in February too!! I sorta feel like I have the same thoughts as you do in regards to swing, bouncy, or jumper.

So far this is what I did...I bought a bouncy seat myself since I found a really good deal on one and registered for a take along swing since they are smaller and more afforable. I know most books tell you you need just one or the other and you won't know which your baby prefers untill the time comes. I figure if I get the swing that's a nice extra baby item that I would like to have but if not not biggie maybe I'll get it for the baby myself later.

The funny part about the swing issue is that when I was a baby I loved my swing...so I kind of wanted one for my baby but who knows he/she may not even like swings. :)

anamika
12-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi,
I agree with the PPs. We have the swing and the bouncer. She didn't lke the swing initially but I started putting her in it after she fell asleep a cople of times and now she's fine. The only other thing I wanted to mention was that they're both very different kinds of activities. She loves kicking in her bouncer and watching the lights (we have the FP kick and play) when she's active and chilling out in her swing when she's winding down ready to sleep. Plus I'm realizing that as she gets older she gets tired of stuff easily so it's nice to able to switch between the two.
HTH,

Mom2Miri
12-28-2004, 07:11 PM
We are probably a bit unusual. We skipped all three. We did eventually get a bouncer as a gift and used it very sparingly and only when she was older. Didn't need them, didn't miss them, happy we didn't spend the dollars or space.

ETA: We also skipped the exersaucer.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

murpheyblue
12-28-2004, 07:48 PM
The bouncy chair was an absolute must have in our house. DD loved it. It's the cheapest of the three and the smallest so I would say to get that first. I also got DD a swing and she hated it so it sat in our dining room for months unused before I fianlly gaveit away. We never had a jumper. It's too big and is used for too short a period of time.

brittone2
12-29-2004, 04:10 PM
If you can't picture yourselves using the items, by all means, skip them for now. You can always buy them later if you really want to.

We did use our bouncey seat and found it valuable. DS sat in it through about 6 months of age while I showered. He's 10 months now and it has been retired the past few months as he was constantly leaning over and grabbing for things (I was afraid it would tip) or trying to climb out. He now sits in his playpen while I shower.

We had a swing, but it was used minimally and was packed up by 4 months. DS was never that "into" it. When he wanted comfort or wanted to go to sleep, he loooooved the sling.

I'm a pediatriac physical therapist, and I'm not a fan of doorway jumpers (or exersaucers for that matter!). There are safety issues with jumpers, and potential developmental issues from both jumpers and saucers Jumpers in particular put a lot of stress on a baby's spine. Saucers in limited use are probably fine for most kids, but they certainly aren't needed and don't "help" development in any way. We don't own a saucer or a jumper ;)

So...if you are leaning toward being a minimalist now in terms of baby gear, I say wait on those items you aren't sure you'll use. They add up financially, and unfortuantely due to great marketing, the manufacturers would love to convince you that you *need* these items, when really, you don't ;)

BTW, I have a february baby too...turning 1 this year :) I can't believe it. Cherish the time with your little one...the days pass by so quickly! Good luck to you.

caridura
12-29-2004, 04:13 PM
For us, the swing is a must-have. DD LOVES it. It calms her if fussy and puts her right to sleep. We went to the IL's for Xmas and brought it with us because we felt we couldn't be without it! LOL

It really does depend on the baby though. DD doesn't care too much for her bouncy seat. The swing though, she loves.

I'd agree that maybe you should try out a friend's swing or bouncer prior to buying one. Or, if you get either as a gift that's even better! ;)

kijip
12-30-2004, 04:39 AM
For a small space (I speak fro experience- we lived in a studio when Toby was born and then in a 1 bedroom house. Toby's first bed and changing table was a Graco Pack n Play which doubled as serious storage underneath the 3/4 bassinet) I suggest getting a bouncy seat and the Fisher Price TRAVEL size swing. As for a jumper, wait and see. Babies can't use these till they are 4-6 months old and you may have a baby who likes to bounce and you may not. Also jumpers need certain kinds of doorframes.

Save the sales slips so you can return/exchnage things that don't work out.

Good luck!

amp
12-30-2004, 08:39 AM
We never had a jumper and didn't miss it.

Borrowed a bouncer and he didn't like it.

Bought a travel swing and he didn't care for it either.

IMO, none are necessary. Borrow or buy what you want and don't worry about the rest.

dramamama04
12-30-2004, 11:42 AM
I didn't have either one until I was given a bouncer by my cousin. He likes to play in it sometimes, but not a lot. At first I didn't have a swing because I felt that for over $80 it wasn't worth it, but then I foud out that Big Lots sells full size Gracos for less than half the price. The oonly problem is that it only comes in Winnie the Pooh. At first I was so high and mighty that I told my mom that I wasn't going to get the swing because it was WTP (I didn't like it) and I thought that something was wrong with it. Well DS needed something to be in while I cleaned or cooked, plus he's so big now that it hurts to hold him for a long time. So I went back to get the swing, but they were gone! I learned my lesson! Luckily Big Lots put them back sale and my mother brought it for me. I also got my Evenflo MegaSaucer from there, too. Both were about $40 each.