PDA

View Full Version : Is Diaper Genie better than Diaper Dekor?

kellyroo3
12-31-2004, 10:23 AM
I am so bummed. I bought the Diaper Dekor because I thought that I wouldn't have a problem with controlling odors but I'm sad to say that this is not the case. Plus the refills aren't inexpensive and the Dekor doesn't hold that many diapers (I do have the larger size).

So my question is it worth the money to try the Genie. I am hoping that since each diaper is contained the smell won't be as bad as the Dekor which is essentially a glorified trash can-the triple seal that they tout doesn't seem to work on my baby's poopy diapers. Right now I just use it for wet diapers and the dirty ones get wrapped up in a plastic grocery bag and disposed outside.

Any help would be appreciated-we're starting solids next month and I can't even imagine how stinky his diapers are going to get.

Phoebe
12-31-2004, 11:06 AM
I didn't have the diaper dekor, but I did have the genie for a short time. I thought it was useless.

Phoebe,
Susan 4/01
David 6/03

searchdog
12-31-2004, 11:23 AM
We have a diaper champ. I love it but it doesn't contain the poop smell either. So we use it for all wet diapers and take the poopy diapers to the trash can in the garage which works well for us. I realize it isn't the most convenient thing.

Of everyone that I have talked to no one has a pail that contains the poop smell well at all.

DDowning
12-31-2004, 12:38 PM
We have two Dekor's - one for upstairs and one for downstairs just inside the garage. We keep our trashcans on the side of the house so the inside of garage for a Dekor is convenient. I like the fact that it doesn't scream diaper pail prolonging its shelf-life but no, its not a smell container - hence the one in the garage.

Fiasco
12-31-2004, 02:54 PM
in my opinion, they're both useless. the genie will smell too, and you still have to deal with taking the sausage of messy diapers out every month or so. even cased in plastic, those things really reek.

we got the genie, and promptly hated it. we have used grocery store plastic bags for poops only, and it's a system that works for us. the pees go in the trash can in my son's room, and the poops go in bags and straight to the kitchen trash (that gets emptied every other day or so). the bags are free, too. i say dont waste your money.

~fiasco

MarisaSF
12-31-2004, 05:00 PM
I have a Diaper Genie and can recommend it.

DD is 5 months and, while we didn't need it for the first couple months, our regular trash couldn't handle the poopy diaper stench after a while. Now, we put the wet diapers in the regular trash and the poopy diapers in the Genie. No smell from the Genie! Hope that continues when we introduce solids.

I got mine for $10 from a neighbor who was selling it on craiglist. If you get it used, just make sure it will take the newest liners. As a PP mentioned, you can also put the poopy diapers in a plastic bag before putting it in the trash. We use ziplocs for all diapers when on the road.

I was tempted to get the Dekor because it looks a lot better than the Genie. The Genie is ugly and takes up a lot of room. I wouldn't have paid full price, but used it was a great deal. (I sanitized it thoroughly, but still see no reason why it would be covered in baby poo anyway.)

I got liners on sale at Toys r us -- something like $4 each? If you only use the Genie for poop diapers, you won't need new liners very often.

hapahaolegirl
12-31-2004, 05:50 PM
I have the diaper champ and love it! My daughter is only 4 months old but so far no smells are coming from it. She's also breastfeed. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Kristen

Momof3Labs
12-31-2004, 07:40 PM
We have a Diaper Champ and it does get stinky if a poopy dipe gets in there. But, if you read your package of disposable dipes, you are not supposed to put poop in the garbage (since it is human waste, it contaminates the water running off of landfills). Instead, you are supposed to flush it in the toilet. If you do that, you shouldn't have a problem with your Dekor smelling much.

JElaineB
01-01-2005, 08:12 AM
I have been using the Diaper Genie since DS was born and I have no odor problems in DS's room. I only recently switched to the Toddler refills even. It does stink a little when you are actually removing the diapers from the pail, but I try to do that in the hallway so as not to stink up DS's room. But while in-use we have no odor issues. I occassionally spray inside the pail with Lysol and that is all. It doesn't hold a ton of diapers, though, maybe only a couple of days worth. Personally I can recommend the Diaper Genie and I would buy it again.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kijip
01-01-2005, 10:01 PM
We use a Diaper Champ for cloth diapers and it works great. It is not stink free but nothing is. We flush the stool from Toby's dirty diapers down the toilet. Both cloth and disposible diaper users should do that with firm stools to avoid water contamination. Also, any pail needs to be emptied OFTEN to keep stink down IMO.

kaismommy
01-01-2005, 10:28 PM
We have two Diaper Genies and think they work pretty well. However, since starting solids we did both the one in Kai's room to the bathroom, just because a smell is released when you open it to put in new diapers. We empty every few days or so. Other than the slight odor (and I don't think you can completely avoid that) we've been happy with it. Actually in the last 11 months, I think we've only bought 6 or 7 refills.
Maya
mom to Kai 2/1/04

TahliasMom
01-02-2005, 12:37 AM
I been using the Diaper Dekor Plus since DD was born and we have had very little problems with the smell even though DD has been on solids for the last 2 months and pooping twice a day. Sometimes for very stinky poop diapers I will wrap the poop diaper in a scented baggie first and then throw into the dekor. I bought the baggies at a dollar store, 100 for .99, and they're also great for the road.

kali
01-02-2005, 04:23 AM
We have the Genie and I think it works great. Mind you, DS is only 6 months and so far almost entirely breastfed. The only time we ever had a smell problem was when we hadn't taken the diapers out for like 6 days. Okay, so it doesn't look like a regular trashcan, but nothing else in the nursery looks like it's for adults. The thing costs $25--what's the big deal if you can't use it for grownups when the baby's done with it?

I've heard that the toddler liners are no more or even less effective at containing odor, so are probably not work their small price premium. Also, to save on liners, you can use it just for poopy diapers.

Alex1276
01-02-2005, 08:54 AM
We used the diaper genie. It worked well for us until DS was about 9 months old. Then is got smelly and broke, so I discarded it. It was nice to have though. I was able to control most orders with lysol spray, but as ds ate more food, his room started to smell like a diaper pail.

Ali
DS 10/24/03
Little Bean EDD 9/05

tigalig
01-03-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm obviously in the minority around here, and perhaps it has more to do with my compulsive behavior than the product, but I love the Diaper Genie and I have had it for over two years now. After our DS was potty trained, I used it to keep his overnight diapers, but I found that to be a waste and I now put all overnight diapers (both DS and DD) in the trash because that goes out to the large (street) trash can every single day. I only use the Diaper Genie now for soiled diapers and I have only had to use refills twice in almost six months so we're doing great on the refills. I find that the diaper genie does have a foul odor when you open to empty it, but I do that twice a week (the night before the trash gets picked up in our neighborhood) and that keeps the smell contained. HTH!

betsydenny
01-03-2005, 09:16 PM
My DH emailed me a review from the Wall Street Journal about 2 months ago when we were being driven out of our apartment by the awful fumes from the Genie. This system was rated best for containing smells.

We ordered it immediately and so far LOVE it! Total improvment from the Genie.

DD is 2 and eating everything and it is able to contain those smells. when I open it to remove the diapers there is a small smell, but gone with a dose of lysol and removal of the diapers!

We live in a small apartment and the Genie and Champ (whihc we have at Grandpa's) were a disaster! But I can highly recommend the Neat! system!!