PDA

View Full Version : Signing Time video - How often?

Jenn221
01-03-2005, 03:46 PM
I am considering buying the Signing Time video, but I work full time. How often would I need to let DS watch it? Would it be effective if he only watched it on weekends? TIA.

westchicagomom
01-04-2005, 01:46 AM
I think for the videos to be "effective", signing has to become somewhat of a way of life for your child and those who care for him.

I think Volumes 1-3 are teaching tools in and of themselves. He will be able to learn signs from watching them, but the signs must be reinforced a lot in order for them to become a means of communication for him. Would you DCP be able to use or at least recognize the signs? If not, I think that would be rather frustrating for him, but you still might be able to work it out if you reinforce a lot at home.

We signed w/ our DD starting at 6 months (inconsistently) and got the videos for her when she was about 13 months old. We watched them daily, sometimes multiple times a day as that is the only tv she was interested in watching.

She learned so much from just watching the DVD's, it was almost unbelievable, particularly in how she could apply the signs to real life. We followed her lead and signing became a way of life for us. I can't say enough about the impact of sign language in our lives at this point and w/o Signing Times 1-3, I doubt we would be there at this time.

You don't mention his age, but you might want to just buy one of the first 3 volumes (3 is my favorite, but 1 has really basic signs if he is still young) and give it a try. If "effective" for you means he can sign milk, more and sleepy - then weekend watching could very well be just enough.

Jenn221
01-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Thank you so much for your input. I hadn't even thought about the DCP involvement. I don't think his current DCP could sign with him, but we are looking for a new one anyway. Maybe I can find one that will. BTW, DS is 4 months. I was really thinking of introducing them in the next couple of months. I was mainly just interested in basic signs so he could communicate his needs. But you never know, I may go further if it turns out well.

chays
01-06-2005, 09:18 PM
My DS only watches the videos after dinner (right before bed). We usually get through a video 1-2 times in the time he has to watch it. They have been EXTREMELY effective. He signs many of the signs on all 3 videos and knows all of them if he sees them. Good luck!

Cheryl

westchicagomom
01-07-2005, 01:55 AM
You know, I think it would be relatively easy to get your DCP on board to the point at least that they could recognize a few signs and respond w/ whatever action.

The basic signs for milk and more are easy for infants to do and easy to recognize and honestly a DCP should be more than happy to learn what these are and be able to give your DS a bottle when he asks for it just to eliminate some of the crying. If a DCP isn't interested in a little help w/ communication, then it probably is time to find a new one IMO.

Definitely get #1 in the next month or so. Babies can start signing milk around 6 months or so, but in general they don't have the dexterity to make signs till they are a bit older. Good luck!

TahliasMom
01-07-2005, 02:31 AM
Not to overtake your thread but is 8 months too young to start? Are these videos geared specifically towards babies?
TIA!

KrisM
01-07-2005, 07:51 AM
We have the first 2 videos. DS (8 months) watches the first 1 about every other day. So far, it's the only thing he's interested in watching for more than 30 seconds. We usually get through maybe 20 minutes of it before he's had enough though.

We watched the 2nd video just once (got it for Christmas) and it seems a little more advanced than 8 months. But, I imagine that in a couple of months he'll like that one, too.

We do sign throughout the day and are fairly consistent, but so far, he hasn't signed anything. We can't wait for that day!

murpheyblue
01-07-2005, 12:05 PM
We took a signing class and the instructor (who taught at a school for the deaf) recommended starting as early as 6 months which is when we started with DD. The only downside of starting signing with a very young baby is that it may take a while to see results. For a while DH and I felt like DD was never going to pick up the whole signing thing. She started signign milk around 9 months and more signs followed with an avalanche of signs deeloping around 12 months.

squimp
01-08-2005, 03:58 AM
It's been most successful for me and our babysitter to watch the videos and teach DD the signs. So I agree that talking to your DCP about reinforcing sign language is a great idea. DD picked up milk at 7 months, then dog, hat, flower and more by 9 months. She still has only watched the videos once or twice but now knows a pile of signs.

Knowing the signs is a big help for us, and allows her to communicate when it's hard to say the word. It's very clear that the signs are easier for her to "pull up" from her memory than the spoken words.

californiamom
01-25-2005, 08:42 PM
I just wanted to say I love your Avatar!! Beautiful picture. :-)

whittyanne
01-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I think it could still be effective. We didn't purchase them until DS was 12 months (just a little over a month ago) and we don't watch them every day. I'd say maybe 4 times a week or so. He's starting to get the gist of it. I think if you show him on the weekends he'd get it eventually.

Someone on these boards actually has a store and sells them - Julie (jamsmu) at a really good price with free shipping, you should check out her website: http://www.preciouspersonalities.com

stefani
02-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Hi,

I work full time, too. My DS needs to be nebulized at least twice a day, so we use that time to watch videos (since that seems to distract him and calm him down). So we watch it twice a day now. DS is 17 months old.

Last Saturday we took a sign language class, and he learned to sign "more". He has been signing that since then, and this morning he did "eat" while watching the video, and then he did it again at daycare when I dropped him off.

So, of course the more your DS watch the videos and the more he sees other people use the signs, the faster he would learn them. But I think even watching the video just on week-ends, plus you (and as many people you can encourage) using the signs will work. Your DS is still young, too, so be patient, but I think it will come.

Good luck!