PDA

View Full Version : - cheap chair recommendation

lerlerler
01-05-2005, 05:51 PM
nak

ellie is 4.5 months

we haven't started solids yet and don't plan on it for a while, but i wanted to give ellie a chance to sit at the table during dinner. we never bought a highchair - and are thinking about the tripp trapp chair in a few months ( i know it's not recommended until 18 months, but that's another post)

what to do in the meantime?

we were in IKEA and looking at the wooden highchairs because i like the look, but she seemed so uncomfortable

Just for fun, i plunked her in the antilop

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/35998_PE126860_S3.jpg

yup, it's ugly, and plastic-y but with a pad, it fits her SO well, it was only $13.. and has trays sold seperately (they were out of stock on those)

and talk about easy to clean!!

it's totally nms, but it's fun having her join us for

alaible
01-05-2005, 06:34 PM
We didn't have lots of space in our dining room so I didn't want some big highchair taking up lots of space. So we just got one of those booster seat type chairs that straps to one of your dinning room chairs. We got one that came with a tray and the seat is reclineable for younger infants. When she first started eating we use the seat with the included tray. She now is 21 months and the tray is on the small side compared to full size highchair trays so now we remove the tray and push DD right up to the table. I have been very happy with this type of seat. It was a good arrangement for us because it wasn't expensive (about $25) and it doesn't take up lots of space and it can be easily removed to take with us or incase we need the chair for something.

youngmommy
01-27-2005, 09:42 AM
BS"D

We're on a pretty tight budget and I got the plasticky IKEA highchair "Antilop" and we love it for the price. So super easy to clean and it seems very safe. This is definately a good option for anyone looking to cut costs in this area.

npace19147
01-27-2005, 09:48 AM
We got this too - the Fisher Price Healthy Choice Booster seat. We've been very happy with it. The tray is removable and dishwasher safe, and the seat collapses down so we can just slide the chair in and it's not screaming "baby high chair." Plus DD likes sitting in a "big person chair" LOL.

betsydenny
01-27-2005, 10:27 AM
DS is 4.5 mo and we have just bought the First Years 4 in 1 booster. A friend has used it all hte way thru for her now 2 yr old. My little guy loves it- it has a little padding which makes me feel better and it does recline which is great for this age and down the road if he dozes off when eating- thought this was a joke before I had my daughter who did konk out in her highchair more than once and it was nice to be able to recline her so her face didnt end up in the spaghettios. We have ditched hte big highchair we used for DD because it takes up too much space and the booster does everything the highchair did.

I highly recommend this booster! it is easy on and off the chair and so far is perfect for my little guy. Think it cost about $29.

Good luck

Saartje
01-29-2005, 06:47 PM
We, too, have the Fisher Price booster seat. It's great -- fits right in one of our regular kitchen chairs, we can use it when going out to eat instead of a restaurant high chair, and it folds up so well we take it on airplanes for use at grandparents' houses. Cost $20, and I can't imagine why we'd want a regular high chair.

Buffys Mommy
02-01-2005, 03:10 AM
Another vote for the Fisher Price Booster Chair. We hate our high chair, but love this one. We use it at home strapped onto another chair and have taken it to Grandma's too. We've learned not to use it on the floor however, after our little kicker decided to knock herself over backwards yesterday. ;)

Tammie
Momma to Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] 15 months and counting

quikeye
02-01-2005, 04:09 AM
If your city has a craigslist-- you may want to check there for inexpensive high chairs. We got ours (FP Healthy care) & couldn't be happier-- just bough a new pad & were ready to go :) They hava huge baby section (at least in SF Bay).

Good luck!

murpheyblue
02-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Me too! We love the FP Healthy Care Booster. Great chair for the price. Plus, you can use it for travel, Grandma's, restaurants.

stewmom
02-01-2005, 01:20 PM
We use something similar - The First Years 4-in-1 feeding chair. It straps to a dining room chair, has 3 positions from reclining to upright, tray snaps off to go in dishwasher, pad removes for washing, different seat and tray positions, etc. He climbs in it himself now with a footstool but we've been using it since he started solids and he's nowhere near outgrowing it. I love that it just sits in one of our regular chairs and pulls right up to the table. I ordered mine online but have since seen it at TRU, BRU, Wal-Mart, etc. for $30 or less.

BTW, DS had terrible reflux when he was younger and the chair in its reclined position was a great place for him to sit for a few minutes after eating.

Good luck! We don't have IKEA here but the chair pictured above looks very functional for the $$. We just didn't have the footprint for a separate highchair.

Sam (mom to Stewart 8-15-03)

egan284
02-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Another vote for the Antilop. Dd doesn't like to be restrained so before we take the plunge and buy a more expensive high chair, we tried this one. Dd loves sitting in it, but then we don't use the strain . With the cushion on, it's difficult to install the strap.

I would say it's the best $14 we spent.

HTH