PDA

View Full Version : Exersaucer readiness

jennifer_r
01-07-2005, 05:36 PM
I received an Exersaucer as a gift for DD (wasn't planning on getting her one after I researched and found that too much use could interfere with her development). Well, DD is 4.5 mo and I put her in the Exersaucer for the first time. She almost immediately slumped forward so I took her out. Doesn't the industry say a baby can use it once she can hold her head up and is 4 mo? DD's been able to hold her head up quite well for a long time so timing should be O.K.. Is this normal for them to slump over - it doesn't look fun to me. When did you start putting DC in them? When do you think they are truly ready for them?

TIA

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

Joshuasmommy
01-07-2005, 06:39 PM
I used to put a rolled up blanket in front of and behind ds when he was first using it. I don't remember when I first started using it, maybe around 4 months. He was never a huge fan of it so I generally just used it so I could get a shower or a bite to eat.

Mommaof2
01-07-2005, 09:38 PM
About 4 months. I was worried about developmental delays as well but both my kids only used it for a few months and I haven't noticed any problems with either. I used small pillows or blankets rolled up

lerlerler
01-07-2005, 09:54 PM
i bought one and put her in it at 4 months

she loves it

and i think twice a day for 15 minutes can do no harm... she squeals and bangs

at 17 weeks she turned around in it

one thing we did do, was not "install" all the toys, we'll add them one at a time so she won't get bored or overwhelmed

brittone2
01-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm a pediatric physical therapist and am not a fan of saucers as most people know...but...in limited use for a normally developing baby (no more than 20 mins per day max) they are probably fine.

I definitely would not put a baby in who is having trouble holding their head up. Not all babies at 4 months have the head/trunk control to be in there. I'd wait a while longer. If you have to prop her up w/ blankets, IMHO she's not ready.

If you are curious, I'm sure you'll find a bunch of old threads on saucers with posts from me LOL ;)

jennifer_r
01-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. Like I said in my post, I wouldn't have gotten one but we received one as a gift (and my husband thinks it's rude to return/exchange gifts).

She's definetly got the head control but NOT the trunk control so we'll hold off.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

dules
01-08-2005, 03:17 PM
We waited till almost 6 months for the trunk control, and then my DD loved it. She would happily go in it so that DH and I could get a bite to eat or fold a bit of laundry, which was exactly what we wanted it for.

I hope your dd enjoys it!

Best,
Mary