PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking out infant toys

mommabear
01-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I am due in 9 weeks and would like to get some toys for baby. Any toys you love for up to 3 mon?

pritchettzoo
01-11-2005, 09:50 PM
You'll be surprised at what a little meatloaf ( ;) stealing Marisa's term!) your newborn will be. I wouldn't worry about toys per se for that age. A playmat is useful (but not essential, although it did enable me to shower...). I'd say the only "must-have" is a mirror. Other than that, I think the only thing that interested DD was a little stuffed animal rattle thing. Save your money for later! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

mommabear
01-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks! What playmat do you suggest?

Saartje
01-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I'd suggest a Gymini. I find the design of the toys that come with it (and the ones you can purchase separately by Tiny Love, the company that makes Gymini) are the most attractive ones to my son.

If you look around, you can find a used one fairly easily; I've seen them on eBay for $20-30 (new price $50). My son still enjoys his, though he seems to be unusual in liking it at this age; this may be because we've bought extra toys for it and rotate them periodically.

lisams
01-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Another vote for the Gymini (we got the Sounds and Lights version). We also got a little "chime" toy to hang on it (it's also made by Tiny Love). The sound is much more peaceful that most others and DD loved kicking it when it was hanging from the arch on her playmat.

Other then that, maybe a mobile, rattle and teether. Really DD didn't get into toys until about 6 months.

Lisa

ett
01-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Agreeing with the other posters that you really don't need much toys for the first several months. The only toys we had were a mirror, the gymini playmat, a rattle, and some alphabet links.

mommabear
01-13-2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all your advice. I was thinking of getting the baby Einstein play mat but now I think I will get the gymini.

entttc
01-14-2005, 03:11 PM
DD liked her gymini mat and the chimes for it, but the winkel and the skwish(from Manhattan toy) were also huge hits at that age. Many toys are too big for those little hands.

-entttc

entttc
01-14-2005, 03:11 PM
DD liked her gymini mat and the chimes for it, but the winkel and the skwish(from Manhattan toy) were also huge hits at that age. Many toys are too big for those little hands.

-entttc

calv
01-14-2005, 03:48 PM
I couldn't say enough good things about the BE mat. I got it as a shower gift. DD will 1 and she still loves it. The musical star can come off and you can place it anywhere. BIG hit at our house.

faithhopeand
01-14-2005, 09:41 PM
DS loved mini Whoozit (Manhattan Toys) because the one side is a black & white bullseye. We hung it from his bouncy and car seat. It would interest him for long periods of time. He also really liked the red octopus by Tiny Love.

rupptopia
01-16-2005, 02:07 AM
I agree with the Gymini, Whoozit & Winkel thumbs up.

Also, the first toy DS really reacted to is an elephant by Jelly Kitten. He would focus on the black & white striped feet. Now at 3.5 months he still loves it, grabs the crinkly ears & the loops on the nose. Shakes it & tries to eat it. :)

I like it b/c you can use the velco & plastic loops to attach to a bouncyseat, stroller & etc. And it is big enough that he can't toss it around too easily.

http://www.loftykids.com/holoel14.html

Michelle
Mom to Alex born 9/28/04

redhookmom
01-16-2005, 10:18 AM
At about 3-4 months my dd really liked looking into the mirror. It was a non breakable baby mirror. She still like to play a years later.