PDA

View Full Version : Need Sticker-Like Ideas

zuzu
01-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Sarah has become obsessed with stickers in recent months. We go through a lot of them (which is fine, though I hate to throw so much away), and I was wondering if there is something similar that might interest her that would be reusable and be less messy, especially for travel. I was thinking of something like Colorforms (do they still make these?) in a travel size would be great. Or, maybe a slim tin filled with flexible magnets. I guess I'm looking for things that would be good for car rides and other travel that wouldn't result in stickers everywhere or be gone is ten minutes. Once she puts the stickers on paper she loves to take them off and reposition them, so something less permanent would be great. I'm not sure if anything like this exists, but I'd love to hear any suggestions. We have dress up cat magnets for the fridge, and she loves those, but they are only good for use at home. She also loves tape flags and post-its--basically anything that sticks, so we've been using those when we run out of stickers. Also, any suggestions on where to buy stickers in bulk would be appreciated.

TIA,
Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

redhookmom
01-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Yes, they still make Colorforms but I am not sure how well they would travel as they don't really stick.

We have the slim tin with magnets that works well in the car. We also have those larger carboard folders with magnets. I have found them in Marshalls as well as Toys R Us.

pritchettzoo
01-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Colorforms still exist! I got a Miss Weather kit at Cracker Barrel a couple of years ago out of nostalgia. ;) Do a google search for them. This store has several kinds, and I think it got good reviews here (in a thread about dolls maybe?): http://www.liveandlearn.com/colorforms.html They are marked ages 3-6 because of small pieces, but you could take those out before giving them to her.

Another idea (I forget where I heard it) is to use a baking pan (like a brownie pan or jelly roll pan--something with edges) that magnets will stick to (not all metals work) for travel play with magnets. You can make your own magnet "stickers" with kits from office or craft stores, like the kits to make magnetic business cards. Maybe family/friend photos would be fun?

And then there are felt boards--you can make your own easily and glue stickers to felt and cut them out.

In terms of bulk stickers, school supply catalogs would probably be your best bet. I can't think of the name of one recommended here. There was a thread about a free shipping code over $50 and I think the post mentioned play food, so you might be able to find it searching that way.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

urquie
01-12-2005, 12:20 PM
dd loves her orange juice concentrate lids that have stickers placed on both sides them. she's quite a bit younger than your babe, but my 3 year niece still loves to play with her collection that shes been using for a couple years. not sure how well this would travel, but you could cut a long skinny whole in the lid of something like an oatmeal container or use an old wipes container... then it's fun to put in and take out. hth

Mommaof2
01-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Target sells the Colorforms for like $5 they have small travel sets and have Wiggles, Dora, etc... Another options is the create-a-scene sets (amazon search) they are pretty big board so more of a travel if you can help like on a plane. But fun underwater scenes, etc. I find them at all the boutique toy stores.

Window clings are another fun thing for around the house that are reusable.

To keep the cost of stickers down I give my DD all the return labels that are sent to us trying to get donations. She doesn't care what the pic is, she likes the sticking aspect.

zuzu
01-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Thanks so much for all your great suggestions!

I'm glad to know Colorforms still exist (as much for my enjoyment, as for Sarah's ;)). I asked at Target a few weeks ago and the clerk didn't know what they were (which made me feel old), so I'll have to try again.

I'm also glad those thin tins with magnets do exist (anyone know what they are called, or have a brand name?) and those create-a-scenes sound great!

Making my own is a good idea, and, if I have time, I may make some using photos.

We use the free address labels and stickers that come with those too! Using a baking sheet will make the dress up kitty set portable now--yay!!

Thanks again!

August Mom
01-12-2005, 03:40 PM
I've gotten Colorforms at Target, Marshalls/TJ Maxx and Michaels. However, I must say that DS doesn't enjoy them as much as stickers.

Another magnetic option are the playbooks by Imaginetics. The fire station and Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head have pretty big pieces. The downside is that there's no container for storage of the magnets. They stay stuck to the book pretty well during transport, though.
http://www.kidsurplus.com/imaginetics.html

There are Snappy magnet books that are fun too and the magnets are contained in the front of the book. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/157145912X/qid=1105558381/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-0471505-7490345

Also, DS has the Sticker Fun Counting Farm book that is somewhat like Colorforms only the stickers stick better. DS likes it. The stickers are reusable, but after multiple uses some of the color is coming off. http://www.myactiveminds.com/activeminds/index.cfm/book/57

DS enjoys the Felt Kids felt board and play sets. There are Thomas sets, so he loves those. Of course you can make your own too.

As for bulk stickers, we got 1,600 for $9 at Sam's Club. Also, DS's favorite stickers are the tubs of foam stickers we got at Michaels. I'm not sure how many are in there, but they last a long time.

Another thing she might like is the M&D Hide 'n Seek Doors. There is a magnet behind each door that you can remove. This was DS's favorite thing at about 15 months+. http://www.playthingspast.com/md739.html

HTH

Twin Mom
01-12-2005, 08:33 PM
TRU is having 70% off clearance right now and I just got a bunch of stickers there. I just bought whatever was available since I don't think my kids will really care what they are as long as they will stick.

If you are a member of BJs, they discount cards, etc. at 50% and they do have stickers. I only ended up buying the packs with 10 sheets in them for $1.50 (after the discount) but they did have others with less sheets. They also had a few sticker books that allow the kids to reuse the stickers. I just bought them so I haven't tried them out yet but hopefully that will "save" some of the stickers so they can be reused.

I've been buying ahead when I find something I think my kids will like so I've already bought Wiggles Colorforms and some of those tins that have magnets in them ($9.99 each) at TJ Maxx/Marshalls but I haven't given them any of the stuff yet since I feel like they are still a bit young.

zuzu
01-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the ideas and links! I have some shopping to do now--I didn't know there were so many magnetic options and the Sticker Fun books look ideal. One of Sarah's favorite toys right now is the Hide 'n Seek Doors. I'm amazed (and thrilled :)) at how long it holds her interest!

zuzu
01-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Aileen--Thanks for the TRU tip! I'm not a member of BJ's, but maybe our Costco carries stickers and the sticker books too.

zen_bliss
01-18-2005, 05:11 AM
we have also entered the sticker phase and this thread has had me thinking.

i just received a little clear vinyl target travel makeup bag for my birthday, which DD took immediately. it is perfect for peeling and repositioning stickers. so that will stay in the car.

for travel magnets/stickers, instead of a cookie sheet, i have a tin from trader joe's toffee (delicious!) that is great for playing and then storing both stickers and magnets. my target 'dollar spot' area has some cute magnet sets.

zuzu
01-18-2005, 09:52 AM
More great ideas--thanks! And, we already have some clear vinyl bags and TJ's coffee tins around the house somewhere, I'm sure.

miki
01-18-2005, 01:35 PM
If she likes Post-its, you can make your own stickers also. Post-it makes a glue stick that you use like any glue stick but is re-positionable for a while. You can cut out pictures from magazines and use the Post-it glue on them.