PDA

View Full Version : swing Graco vs Fisher price

mommabear
01-13-2005, 12:56 AM
I recieved a graco swing at my shower $69. I would love the Ocean wonder swing $99. Didn't want to pay the extra money. Today I saw FP just released a new cradle swing $79. Only thing is it has no music or sounds or lights. It is basically a simpler version of the ocean wonders. Should I returen the Graco swing and get the cheaper FP? How important is music? Out of those 2 do you think music or the cradle option is more important? Should I just pay the extra and get the Ocean Wonders? HELP!
Thanks for your advice.

JulesinChicago
01-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi -

One thing to keep in mind is that babies have very different reactions to swings - one thing you might want to do is wait to buy whatever swing you are interested in until just before your due date so that you will be able to return it easily if you baby doesn't like it after a few weeks of trying!

My experience: the cradle option is much, much more important than the music. We had a basic FP swing for DS (w/ just front-and-back motion, no cradle motion). He hated it, cried most times I put him in it. AFter 3 weeks of trying, I returned it and bought the ocean wonders cradle swing (I hated paying the extra $ but decided I could return it if he didn't like that, either). The cradle motion never fails to calm his fussiness, and usually puts him to sleep. Worth the extra $30 for me! I rarely use the music.

You could always just put on music in the background if you think music soothes your child.

I too saw the new, cheaper swing - would have definitely bought that if it was out when I needed it.

Jules

safarimom
01-13-2005, 10:31 AM
I saw the FP aquarium swing reduced to $89.97 at Babies R Us this past week if that helps you. I have the Aquarium swing & my DS loves the cradle motion. He falls asleep in it for naps for up to 3 hrs at a time. He didn't initially care for the swing, but started liking it at about 2 mos of age. The music is kinda new age & I'm not that into it. I never use the other sound effects--water, babbling brook, etc. He only watches the mobile & lights for the first 7 minutes that it runs...you have to reset the music, mobile & lights after 7 mins., but the swing will run until you turn it off. I was a bit surprised at how fast the slowest swing setting was at first, but have gotten used to it. The cool thing with this swing is that you can make it a front to back swing too. I really like this swing for the extra $$, but then again I never had anything else. The motor noise is a bit loud, but I guess I have gotten used to it & it doesn't seem to bother baby one bit. HTH

mommabear
01-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks I had the same idea about background music. I think I will get the cheaper cradle swing.

Emmas Mom
01-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I have to agree with you, go for the cheaper one. I had the Aquarium swing too & the mobile stopped working after a couple months anyway. The cradle motion was what worked for us. I think DD was too little to care about the lights/mobile/music anyway when we used it for her. :)

fauve01
01-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Well we have the FP aquarium swing, and used the ocean noise. when DD would start to wake, if we pressed the button to make the ocean noise come on, she would go back to sleep. we didn't use the music, but the ocean was key for us! i would pay lots for that option.

we also used only the cradle motion, even when she got older. i cried when i took the swing down! she loved it for sitting and watching her shows.

HTH!

Anne + DD 10-03

smilequeen
01-13-2005, 10:38 PM
We have the Papasan cradle swing from BRU and my DS loves it :) The cradle motion is a brilliant idea if you ask me. I will say though that he also gets really enchanted by the mobile and the mirror that it has and the music really calms him.

yaelt16
01-23-2005, 01:45 PM
My Ocean Wonders swing is worth every penny. My DB is 5 months and I use it to put him to sleep during the day- it's the only way he will take naps. We use the music and the mobile every time- it gets his attention immediately focused on the fishbowl moving around and he then falls asleep. I think the music and sounds is important. If my DB wakes up I just press the music again and he closes his eyes again. I also have a Graco swing and my DB goes in it when he wants to be in the sit up poation and play- I could have done without the Graco nothing special but the FP is my savior!!!

Mommy to Jonah Zachary (five months old)

starrynight
01-23-2005, 09:37 PM
I would go for the cradle swing it can be used longer. My dd outgrew the graco open top swing we had at about 7 months (her siblings outgrew it sooner, she is tiny!) but still fit in my friend's cradle swing at 13 months old. I was desperate for her to take a nap and we figured what the heck try it and she fit in it fine.

Because of the design of the fp you don't have to worry about them trying to grab the bars like you do with the graco swing. That is why my kids outgrew it so fast, not weight but they would sit up and grab the bars! The cradle motion is also much more soothing. The music and lights are not necessary at all and actually kind of loud and annoying, the swing I had for my older two didn't have music and lights but the one I did for the baby did and she hated the music (no lights on that one though). I thought she would like the upgraded swing vs. the old one the other kids had but nope lol. You can always put a cd player or radio on near the swing softly if you want music but the cheaper swing. Good luck!