PDA

View Full Version : The Zen Kitchen -- do it yourself wood kitchen set (pics!)

zen_bliss
01-14-2005, 04:48 PM
finally! i had started a thread for ideas here:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=26743&mesg_id=26743
it has all the measurements and prices of the IKEA components i considered.

all in, the cost was $200 including all hardware, materials, and a special drill bit to sink the extra hinges on the fridge. the cabinet & tv cart are IVAR from IKEA, other wood parts are from michael's and pearl art center. i'll probably add shelves or hooks later but i couldn't commit, so for now, the backsplash is bare.

here's the kitchen, with a makeshift pantry on a chair.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19806.jpg

IVAR tv cart partially treated with the first coat of 100% tung oil. it's a safe pure natural oil that doesn't have any vapor and dries to a protective finish. it took a little effort to find it (thanks dcclerk!). www.rockler.com a lot of finishes say child safe... when cured. but are toxic fume-y in the meantime.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19807.jpg

knobs all turn without loosening using washers on both sides of the wood.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19808.jpg

replace all pegs for shelves with screw in posts for baby safety.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19809.jpg

the blender and toaster are the TRU wood sets made by Kidkraft. They are only $19.99 rather than $34.99 and the colors are slightly different than the regular Kidkraft, less pastel which i think is a good thing.

this was a whole new world to me. and let me pass along wise words from my learning curve -- the secrets to success are: electric sander, power drill, and pre-drilling everything!

bluej
01-14-2005, 05:18 PM
I've been wondering if you'd post pictures. It looks great! I'm very impressed and that is one decked out kitchen for $200! I'm definitely bookmarking this thread (as I did your other thread). Thanks for sharing!

jec2
01-14-2005, 05:30 PM
you did an amazing job! How special that your dd's kitchen was made just for her by her ever-so-skillful mommy :)

Good job.

redhookmom
01-14-2005, 07:34 PM
I think it is great. I like that there is a lot of surgace area and lots of storage underneath. It looks like so much fun.

I like the IKEA curtains too. I wish there was an IKEA close to me!!

pritchettzoo
01-14-2005, 07:56 PM
That is amazing! How did you do the oven door?

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

zen_bliss
01-14-2005, 08:33 PM
i had been agonizing over how to make the door cheaply, then the idea thunderbolt struck. it's a picture frame -- plexi included! attach handle, magnetic cabinet close (about a dollar), and hinges.

csa12
01-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Wow that looks amazing! Can I ask how you made the hole for the sink bowl? I have debating on whether to make my own but had no clue how to make a hole for the sink part.

Yours turned out gorgeous!

Cheryl

ett
01-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Wow! Your kitchen looks great!

zen_bliss
01-14-2005, 11:02 PM
i used the 1" round drill bit i had to buy for sinking the extra hinges (i think it is called a forester bit) and drilled holes all the way around to make a large perforated circle. you could also get a big bore bit which would be faster, but i figured that bit was never going to be used other than those two hinge holes, so i might as well get some mileage out of it. the big piece fell out, then i used a power saw to take off all the points, sanded off the rough edges and any splinters on the underside, then seated the bowl with caulk so she can't take it out.

NEVE and TRISTAN
01-14-2005, 11:30 PM
You amaze me!!!!
If I didn't have mine that I grew up with I'd be copying you big time!!!

Way to go Zenmeister!!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (22 months) and baby girl Bronwyn on the way due March 19th!!!!

Mommaof2
01-15-2005, 12:45 AM
WOW!!! It's so well thought out. Years of fun, I'm so blown away.

darby24
01-15-2005, 12:55 AM
Amazing job! What a wonderful gift. You've got me inspired again, maybe this birthday I'll build one.

Thanks for sharing your instructions and pictures, you're a great resource!

nigele
01-15-2005, 01:47 PM
WOW! You are amazing!!!

wendmatt
01-15-2005, 06:07 PM
Wow, that's fantastic, you're really clever. It looks great. Your DD must love it.

papal
01-15-2005, 06:18 PM
THAT IS AMAZING!!!!!
You are so freakin' talented girlie!!!!! OMG!!!
I loved reading how you made it... the technical jargon is intriguing.. I wish I had the skills you do... man oh man, that is the BEST kitchen I have ever seen. Your little girl is so lucky to have a mama like you! I really don't know how you do it. Amazing!

pritchettzoo
01-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Briiiiiiiiiilliant! (Said while rubbing hands together like mad scientist ;))

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and One More (coming July '05)

mclianne
01-16-2005, 10:43 AM
I was just surfing the web looking at all the plastic kitchens thinking "wish I could get my mother to part with the wooden one I played with". Then I came upon your thread. It is SO wonderful. And the fact that you made it makes it even more special for your DD. Thanks for the "instructions". Now if I could just talk my husband into making it...

Maybe I'll just have to learn how to use his tools myself!! LOL

Melanie
01-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Just gorgeous! I'm really tempted by those kidkraft appliances, still...Does she like them?

I'll be honest, I don't know how you did it, except that I know it's been all-consuming for the last (what 2?) months! I don't have it in me, but I do think I will buy the "refridgerator" and just leave it like a pantry. LOL. Ds will just have to learn early his mommy is lazy!

Smart idea on the eggs, too! I didn't even think of Michael's!

jennifer_r
01-17-2005, 01:18 PM
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Any child will love to have a kitchen like that! So talented you are!

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif (http://gynosaur.com/bf_ribbons.php) and counting!

zuzu
01-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Wow!! You are amazing, and your DD is going to love this special kitchen for many years. I love it!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

votre_ami03
01-18-2005, 06:29 PM
Zen, That is one cool kitchen! You did an amazing job. I am impressed.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png

deborah_r
01-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Zen, that is awesome! I showed it to DH just now and he was very impressed (and we are huge IKEA fans, so we are oh-so-familiar with your components!

ETA: Did you do all that drilling at 2am? I know you are a night-owl!

starrynight
01-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Wow it looks amazing!!! :D

mommyj_2
01-20-2005, 04:32 AM
I just had to chime in and say you did an amazing job. I'm tempted to try making one myself, even though I wasn't even planning on getting my DS a kitchen yet.

zen_bliss
01-20-2005, 05:29 AM
funny you should ask, yes, i did do quite a bit of drilling at 2am! call next time you head over to IKEA! we'll meet you for gravlax and the ball pit.

vikivoly
01-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Wow! You did a fabulous job! I know you put a lot of thought and time into the planning and it looks like it paid off. My Dad got DD's finished for her 2nd birthday. I've been meaning to post some pictures.

Great work - give yourself a pat on the back. :)

pixelprincess
06-03-2005, 01:44 AM
How very cool! A very functional and creative kitchen.

nathans mom
06-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I am amazed and awed by your kitchen. I wonder, is it actually near your own kitchen? I have a tiny kitchen and would love to have my son be able to "cook" nearby while I "cook" (haha on some days) but can't figure out how I can manage the space. Does anyone have any small compact kitchen ideas for me or would you just say, put his kitchen elsewhere and scrap the idea of cooking simultaneously...

I've got some time to think this one out. He's only 13 months.
Pam

Mom to Nathan (our little Easter surprise)