PDA

View Full Version : Play Doh vs. Crayola Dough

bugglemom
01-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Which of these two is softer for my 18 month old? Whihc do you prefer and why? And what about Crayola Model Magic? Thanks!

wendmatt
01-19-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm not sure about crayola but I've found playdoh to be better than the other few brands I've tried, so now I only buy playdoh. Sorry not very helpful as I haven't tried the one you are asking about! You can make it quite easily I believe but I don't have a recipe, someone here might do. As it's inexpensive I just buy it!

jk3
01-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Here's a recipe:

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=tvs3631

I love homemade playdough!

Jenn
DS 6/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

MelissaTC
01-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Play Doh is softer I think. We played with some of the Crayola and it he had a hard time flattening it and it was fresh. HTH!

aim
01-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Here is the recipe I use it works great and only takes a few minutes to make... I think that it works better than actual playdoh

· 1 c Flour
· 1/2 c Salt
· 1 c Water
· 2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
· 1 tsp. Vegetable Oil
· Food Coloring
Mix together all ingredients and cook over medium to low heat. Stir until the mixture gets “doughy” (pulls away form the sides and clumps together). Turn off heat. Add food coloring and stir a bit more. Take out of pot and kneed it a bit to finish mixing the color. Let cool and store in an airtight plastic container. It will last for quite a long time.

Amy
DS Benneett 1-14-04

lmladuke
01-21-2005, 11:19 AM
I like Crayola better because honestly, the smell of the play doh drives me nuts!!! Also, with the Play Doh I found that DS could break it up into a million little pieces that would end up everywhere but that the crayola doh did not seem to do it as much.

As for the model magic - you pretty much use that when making something permanent - i.e. it gets "hard" after a while (it is supposed to) My DS used it in his art class to make a print of his hand in - I still have it. When it gets hard, it does not crack or break like the play doh does (does this make ANY sense to you?)

HTH

Lori

Mommy to Jonathan Matthew 7/27/01
and Katherine Olivia 7/28/04

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050728/2/13/3/-5/.png

bugglemom
01-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks! I totally agree about the awful smell of Play Doh but my little guy has fine motor delays so he needs whichever one is the softest and easiest to manipulate. Any thoughts?

vikivoly
01-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Maybe I'm weird, but i love the smell of Play-Doh.

Kimberly H
01-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Oooo, me too! I found some on the shelf in Mia's closet and had to take a huge whiff while I was debating whether I should break down and put one of the mini cans in her diaper bag like Beth suggested ages ago.

zuzu
01-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Do it, do it! :) We keep a mini can and a few cookie cutters in a ziplock in the diaper bag and if we're lucky it buys us an extra 10-15 minutes at the restaurant if Sarah finishes before we do or the food comes out slowly.

As for the smell, I don't mind it at all while we're playing with it, but if I catch the scent afterwards, like I just did when we were putting her to bed and found some under her nail, then it makes me queasy. Strange!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)