PDA

View Full Version : Signing Time - what age is too old?

LD92599
01-21-2005, 09:23 PM
We want to start some signing with DS, who is just shy of 23 months. He's not talking yet so it was recommended we do some signing! Where do we start? I have the first 3 DVDs on order from local libraries.

What are some of your first signs? I think i'd like to start w/ milk (or drink), more and not sure what else!

TIA!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]

C99
01-22-2005, 12:03 AM
I leant the first disc to a friend of mine and her then 3.5-year-old memorized all the signs w/in a couple of viewings...so I don't think any age is too hold. Honestly, Nate didn't really "get" the signing time videos until around 16-18 months or so. He still does many of his first signs, and hasn't shown much interest in expanding his repetoire -- he does milk, more, please, thank-you and a few others that I am sure I am forgetting. HTH

westchicagomom
01-22-2005, 01:17 AM
As Caroline said, I don't think anyone is too old to use them. My DH and I enjoy them and all our friends/family who have seen "Meet the Fockers" are very interested in learning signs from DD!

I would suggest going to the Signing Time website http://www.signingtime.com/ and reading through their suggested activities there. Also join their yahoo group. There are a ton of messages that get posted there daily, but some might be helpful to you and you can post questions for those who may be in your situation.

My DD knows about 75 signs now. We started signing before we got the DVD's in October, but they were responsible for her communication explosion around Thanksgiving. They are amazing. At his age he could be picking up several signs a day easily.

I would suggest you let him watch them a lot (DD begged to watch them and she was never interested in any other videos) and make signing a way of life in your household if possible. Use them whenever you can and get your DH and anyone else who spends time w/ him on board too.

Start w/ whatever he is most likely to want/ask for. Milk, more and eat are the ones suggested to begin w/. But if he loves apples or his stuffed dog or whatever, start w/ those.

We use this website daily to teach her relevant signs.

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

Good luck!

h

Java
01-22-2005, 01:49 AM
We didn't get the videos until Kael was 13 months and even then we only watched it maybe 5 times. I wasn't consistent with it and to tell you the truth, I was beginning to think I may have wasted my money.

Then just last week (on Friday - I even remember the day!) Kael pointed to his milk (he's a great pointer) and I said "do you want your milk?" while signing "milk" and gave it to him. He just stared at me, I took away the milk and signed it again, saying "milk" and gave it back to him. Then HE signed "milk", and gave it back to me, signed "milk", got it back, smiled and signed it again! For the rest of lunch we played a game of signing and passing the milk cup! It was hilarious! I felt like Helen Keller's teacher when Helen finally GOT IT, you know? I swear, I think I called about 5 people that afternoon I was so excited! He pretty much picked up 4 signs in 4 days (milk, eat, ball and water). I need to see the rest of video 1 (we never even finished it!) and move on to videos 2 & 3.

Now he signs "milk" when I ask if he wants milk - or shakes his head "no" if he doesn't. It's really neat to visually SEE Kael understanding me - before it was like 20 questions with no response.

Anyway, I think that you're not too late, your DS may even pick up the signs quicker because he understands more. Have fun! It's so liberating to understand what Kael wants and I can tell that he's much happier too.

corrie23
01-23-2005, 12:40 AM
My DD is exactly 6 days older than your DS and she LOVES her ST (or "Alleya" as she calls it). While we started it with her when she was much younger, it was never something we pushed, just something watched on occasion. I tried to also use signs with her when I remembered, which was generally around mealtimes. Perhaps because of that, the signs eat, more, and all done were some of the first she learned.

We got the second set of DVDs in December and she has picked up many of thse signs much faster, I'm sure because she's older. Her signing vocabulary is probably around 100 words at this point (a few more receptively vs. expressively).

I think that signing is a great communication tool, and I'm sure your son will pick it up rapidly, especially once he sees it as a way to finally express his thoughts to you and to others.

Good luck!
-Corrie

rrosen
01-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Laura,
Like all the pp's said I don't think it is ever too late. I wanted to mention that the new DVD's #4-6 seem geared to older children. The concepts they introduce are more complex, like feelings, food catagories, family,activities and the alphabet.

stefani
02-03-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Laura,

My DS is 17 months old, and he signs "more" and "eat".
I think your DS will be able to pick up the signs quickly.
We went to a sign language class this past Saturday, and he picked up "more" then. On Tuesday, I received the Signing Time videos, and we have been watching it twice a day as DS gets nebulized.

He picked up "eat" this morning, and did it again at daycare when I dropped him off.

My plan is to watch ST video #1 for a week (until Sat), and then #2 for a week, and then #3 for a week. Then I'll mix them up. One thing that I was taught from the class was to do "hand-over-hand" with DS. So I make the sign, and then take his hands and make the sign with him. Eventually he'll just do it himself.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

whittyanne
02-03-2005, 05:30 PM
I don't think there is an age limit, really. Honestly, *I* enjoy watching the videos and learning the signs. And I'm 30 years old! LOL

Seriously, we love the DVDs. DS still doesn't get it yet but lately I've seen him trying to do some signs - and I think it's helping him with his vocab b/c he's starting to talk!!

If you end up wanting to buy them, someone on these boards (Julie, jamsmu) sells them and you should check out her website:
www.preciouspersonalities.com

LD92599
02-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for everyones input! I was able to check a few DVDs out of the library...i LOVE the main song!!! We've been watching volume 1 at least once a day. DS will sit on my lap and intently watch, so i was pleased with that!

Plus DS is starting to talk a bit which is good...he started w/ early intervention early last week, so everything is coming together nicely.

I even noticed DH on board a bit w/ signing!!

Thanks so much!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030305/0/7/0/-5/.png[/url]