PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a Kettler model

AdoptChina
01-24-2005, 02:45 PM
I am trying to choose which model to get DS. I have a couple questions:

--do I want the air tires? Are they better than the standard ones?

--does the rear steering feature only apply when the parent is steering with the handle? Does it make a difference when the child is riding alone?

--I think Id like one that has the basket on the back and one of the models I looked at doesnt offer this (Air Happy) but the regular Happy model does....anyone know why?

thanks!
Susan

jamsmu
01-26-2005, 08:45 AM
hi susan, you probably already know this, but steve really wishes we had air tires. he said it would ride smoother. we did take carson on the walking trail (it was a hike for me) in our neighborhood,and I would have to agree. but for sidewalks, though the standard tires are noisier than the air would be, I think its fine.

i can't answer the other questions. but the basket on the back is great as it can hold balls for the playground and, I imagine, things for the pool this summer.

whittyanne
01-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Hmm fancy meeting you guys here. ;)

Susan, what did you end up going with? I tried to put my order in as the "Happy Jumbo," which apparently doesn't exist. So I put it back in as the HKS Jumbo. We got the air tires, I figured we're already spending so much, what's a little more LOL.

Ours has the basket in the back too - I liked that better as well.

AdoptChina
01-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks Julie. We won't be off-roading much lol, but I think the air tires would be smoother. My biggest reason for wanting them is to justify the cost of the trike....I could buy a much cheaper brand without air tires, kwim?

The basket looks like a kid must have :)

AdoptChina
01-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Thats the model Im leaning towards...but it says its discontinued (and I wonder why it is)

jamsmu
01-26-2005, 05:06 PM
whoops! Preggo brain. whitney researched and got the right name.

hey, we could have discussed this here, on MWS, MCEW group, or library!

whittyanne
01-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I'm excited for the air tires. We plan on doing much off-roading.

;)

Tondi G
01-27-2005, 12:50 PM
I went through this when we got DS's Kettler. We ended up with a Jumbo without the air tires. I like the Jumbo for the bucket feature in the back and also for the larger seat.... DS is still riding it and fitting well... he's a BIG 3 and a half year old... 50lbs and tall! We decided against the air tires cause it is really used on sidewalks mostly and some grass.... we have a wagon with air tires and I got tired of not using it for a while and then having to go through pumping up tires so DS could ride in it. The air tires make it heavier and we never have to worry about a flat or underinflated tire... EVER! It really isn't all the loud on the sidewalk and the tires have rubber grips on them so they have traction! I am so happy with our decision.... I would recommend the jumbo without the air tires. Oh and our Kettler has been used and abused and still looks practically brand new..... it will be passed down to little brother next year and DS wil be getting his big boy bike!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01
and lil man #2 edd 5/5/05

AdoptChina
01-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks! It really does help to hear a few different perspectives...now if I could just make up my mind! lol