PDA

View Full Version : great grandma wants to buy a gift....need ideas

knaidel
01-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi there,
My husban's step mom's mother (does that make sense?) wants to buy us a gift for our baby. A gift certificate or cash is NOT an option (sigh). Originally, we told her that we want a jumperoo, but then, someone else gave us a hand-me down one.

It's hard to anticipate what toys and stuff we'll want for him when he's bigger.

We already have a bouncy seat, exersaucer, playmat, now a jumperoo, swing (Obviously, we already have all other stuff: crib, mattress, high chair, stroller, sling, etc....)

Any ideas? I want your ideas ont hese things: kick n play piano (or is that redundant with the exersaucer? ) boppy tummy time pillow (or is that just a waste of a gift?

any other ideas? Great-grandma was thinking to spend up to $100 .

Momof3Labs
01-27-2005, 02:33 PM
I'd go with something with more longevity. Do you have a nice lightweight stroller (the Maclaren Volo is around $100 - you can't use it with a newborn, but will love having something like that down the road)? Or how about one of the stuffed child-size chairs on sale right now at babystyle.com? A rocking horse or child-size rocking chair? A shopping cart cover?

The kick n play piano and boppy tummy time pillow are awfully similar to what you already have, and have such a short life span.

jec2
01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
I agree with Lori, try to get her to get you something with some longevity. I think a table and chair set would be great! Obviously, the baby wouldn't be able to use if for awhile, but the mileage that you'll get from it should outweigh that.

mattiew
01-27-2005, 03:07 PM
I hadn't gotten to Lori's post yet and I was thinking the exact same thing - a NICE lightweight stroller will be something you will want later and hate to pay for. Other ideas....a great diaper bag, convertible car seat if you only have the infant car seat, shopping cart cover, engraved sterling baby cup or spoon.

I would seriously think about toys for when he is a little older; all of the sudden you will need them! The Fisher Price Sparkling Symphony Gym was a big hit with my DD; it converts to a piano they can stand or sit at to play. The Laugh & Learn Learning Home may also be a good choice. Other baby good toys...shape sorter, stacking rings, musical mirror.

HTH!
Carrie

I almost forgot, if you don't have one, a video monitor. I thought they were a waste of money but 2 yrs later I STILL wish I had one.

WooChx
01-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I LOVE MY BUMBO!!

For some stupid reason they don't sell them at any baby stores near me. I ordered mine online.

http://www.buybumbo.com/

August Mom
01-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Good suggestions so far. DS's Great Grandma bought us a PNP. We used it for a long time (until after he was 2) as a downstairs changing table and toy storage area. We also take it along on trips to use as his bed. I think it's a good investment with some longetivity in that general price range. The PBK Anywhere Chair is another good option.

Also, if you don't have a lot of books, you could ask her to start your baby a library and even provide a list with some books that you like.

Future toys to consider are: wooden puzzles, bead maze, activity table (DS loved the LeapFrog Leapstart Learning Table), a sand and water table or sandbox.

knaidel
01-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the great ideas.
If we decided to go the toy route, can you give me some ideas (if there are any) of toys with longevity- even if he doesn't start using them now. I see that people mentioned the Leapstart learning table and the learning house. Are these toys that Nathaniel might enjoy for a while? Or he'll be done with them in a month or two?
Or, are there any toys that are on the pricier side that we'll most likely want for him in another year or two (that you can think of)?
We are also looking at those chairs. Great Grandma is not so internet savy, so I don't know if it would work if we told her we want a chair from babystyle.

I am so sick of this snow!

Jen841
01-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Here are some suggestions off the top of my head...
Table and chair set for toodlers, Jude loved cruising around his and now sits at it

Rocking Horse

Child size rocking chair, won't use it right away, but will enjoy it for many years, my 4 year old nephew still sits in his. May be something she would enjoy shopping for at specialty stores.
Wagon- children of all ages love wagon rides

Momogrammed luggage for the child he will have for years (LandsEnd type stuff)- can use it to visit her

Puppet or book collection- more things she may enjoy shopping for, maybe you need to give her direction and say Dr Suess books, or Curious George (our favorite)

Book shelf or toy box

Silver piggy bank

Music collection- for now and through his childhood.

Baby Einstein set of DVD's

The toys Jude has enjoyed the longest are balls (all sizes), Leap Frog Learning Table and stacking rings. He has his favorite friends that are stuffed animals and puppets. Grandma has a puppet collection and stage for him at her house he loves to visit.

Momof3Labs
01-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Babystyle has a paper catalog - you can probably call them to have one sent to your or Great Grandma.

C99
01-28-2005, 03:30 PM
The toys with longevity that I can think of are these. They are also generally in the category of taking up more room, so your mileage may vary.

-- Radio Flyer walker wagon or any kind of walker wagon or pushtoy kind of thing (IKEA makes a great one for $22)
-- a wagon
-- train table
-- sand and water table (outside)
-- sandbox
-- art easel
-- Fisher-Price little people sets
-- Lego Duplo blox or Mega blocks
-- wooden blocks
-- child-sized table and chairs

Babystyle also has a catalog, if great-grandma is more open to mail order.

August Mom
01-28-2005, 08:38 PM
As for the Leapstart table, DS used his from about 4.5 months to 1 year. I know some children use them past 1 year. He probably could have used it longer, but he wasn't that into it anymore and we needed space for other things. His interest in it started to wane when he really started walking. Then he wanted to move around and wasn't interested in standing at the table.

jamsmu
01-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Great ideas above. I loved the idea of a kid-sized table and chair set. Also, a monogrammed chair (like the PBK Anywhere Chair) and the rocking horse or rocking chair.

I have to disagree with some PPs though. We have the Exersaucer (which we borrowed from a friend who is due with #2 the same week as me and now we have to get our own-- :( ). Additionally, we have, and LOVE, the Step n Play piano. This has HUGE longevity because you can take the seat out (a lot of people don't realize this.) Carson plays on his everyday. It was great when he was sitting, then cruising, learning to walk, walking, now jumping. All of his friends love it, too. We are amazed that 4 year olds even flock to it. We keep it downstairs in the family room and keep the exersaucer upstairs (I used this when I showered or worked in the office.) Whether you ask for this from the SGMIL or not, I HIGHLY recommend it!