PDA

View Full Version : Toy boxes

Nicodemus
01-28-2005, 10:58 AM
What do you use to keep your children's toys in? Do you use toy chests or other organizing devices. It seems as though toy chests are do deep that kids have a hard time finding their toys. Are there better devices to use (if so, what are they and where do you get them), or do toy chests work out ok. Please and thanks!
Diane

cchavez
01-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Many of us use the storage bins from Target....they are in the Restore and Restyle area. The bins are removal and come in a variety of size. I also use a large round plastic tub in the toy room. Right now I have a rubber made storage box for toys in the living room but since we are redoing the living room.....I plan on "upgrading" to some nice wicker trunks I saw at LNT the other day. Just waiting for our new couch to come in so I can be sure they match. hth

amp
01-28-2005, 02:11 PM
We use several different storage methods, as we have a small house and not a lot of options. We gave up some of our entertainment center drawers for toys since DS was always pulling our stuff out of there anyway. These are the easiest thing we have to store toys. We also use several baskets and bins. These are convenient and handy, but it's a PITB when DS dumps the bin and walks away! We also have a toy box, which I try to reserve for larger toys for the reason you mentioned. DS can't reach little stuff in the bottom of the chest and gets frustrated. I do like the look of it and that it stores some of the bigger, otherwise unhideable toys. Just make sure you get one whose lid doesn't slam shut, with a spring that keeps it open, and one that has openings in it so a kid can't get to stuck in there! We also have bookshelf in his room, which houses a lot of stuff, either loose on the shelves or in bins and baskets.

whittyanne
01-28-2005, 05:47 PM
We have the toy organizer from Target - love it. We also have a toy chest and I don't think they are all that great since DS never sees the toys at the bottom. It's much better to have a wall unit/organizer so they can use all the toys. A friend has one from IKEA that I really like that I'm considering getting...

ethansmom
01-28-2005, 08:20 PM
He has a toy box in his room, but it's used mainly for large items and things he doesn't play with much.

I hate to say it, but we have a ton of toys...I like variety. ;-) We had been keeping them jumbled in one big box, but it was a PITA to pick up, since he'd take everything out in the course of the day. At someone's suggestion, we picked up a bunch of the clear, sterilite containers from Target. They are maybe 12x6x5? Anyhow, I split up the toys between about 6 of these, and now we only play with the toys from one box at a time. If he decides he wants to play with a toy in a different box, we first pick up the toys from the first box. (usually!) It's really helped us keep things tidier.

ETA: it's also greatly reduced the number of missing little pieces!

mommytotwo
01-28-2005, 08:35 PM
We use a lot of plastic bins and a bookcase as well. One thing that we've liked a lot, although it doesn't have as much storage as larger toy boxes, is a "toy bench" that has a compartment under the seat. We bought it from Target over a year ago in the kids furniture section and we use it to store smaller cars and trucks, Little People, a ton of books, stacking cups, etc. DS #1 love to sit on "his bench" and read his books and play with toys. ...and it helped to make the living room a little more presentable... although it still looks like our decorating scheme is part Little Tikes. LOL.

Nicodemus
01-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the great advice. The containers from Target sound like a great idea.

Diane

jbrandy
01-29-2005, 10:26 AM
We also have many different storage devices but..do have a toy box in our living room. When DS was shorter I put several folded up blankets in the bottom and put the toys on top to make it easier to reach into the box. Then as DS got older and taller I took them out. This made it easier for him. I like the toy box because all the toys can be put away and my living room doesn't look like Romper Room all the time (we don't have a play room). Our toy box was $125 and is solid wood, Amish made (from Lancaster PA). The toy box look is beautiful!

Beth
DS 4-4-03